A new experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
What was their schedule and results from last year? How does that differ from this year? How did the team do at nationals last year?

-W

Mar 26, 2013
I asked about other teams' schedules because "birds of a feather flock together" applies to well-run teams with lofty aspirations.

Your coach's first priority is to qualify for your team's stated end-of-season goal, ASA/USA Nats. I find it odd that all 7 events are out-of-state ASA qualifiers, although I don't know which state you're in. Don't you have a local ASA qualifier? The earlier you qualify the better because that allows you to move on to the secondary priorities.

Once qualified, the schedule should be to prepare your team to compete at Nats and to provide some college exposure. It's common for teams that don't have sufficient local competition at their age group to play up locally - and it doesn't have to be ASA.

Feb 16, 2012
Since we are new to the organization I am not sure how their schedule was last year. I saw them play in one tournament and then again at NSA nationals. The head coach this year is on the other end of the spectrum (good thing) from last years coach from what I understand. That team wasn't to the level of the team this year from my limited observation. There is only a "B" qualifier around here.

Jul 26, 2010
Might be worth doing your research to answer those questions, seeing as you're up to your eyeballs in travel expenses next summer.

-W

Jul 2, 2013
It looks as though the coaches on this A level team is scheduling every single qualifier for the ultimate goal of San Diego, ASA.

This schedule is unusual. The question to be answered is how good is the team? The top teams usually schedule a few ASA qualifiers early, and usually qualify. Then they back away from the qualifiers (stop playing them) and instead mix in a few showcase tournaments, and a few local tournaments, and probably a far away showcase.

Once a top team qualifies and makes "the show", they don't need to qualify anymore. In fact, they do the opposite here in SC. They stay away from qualifiers to do a favor to other SC state travel teams and give them a chance to qualify. The ultimate goal being to have as many SC state teams in the national tournaments as possible.

I would be a little leary of this schedule. It sounds as though the team may not be a top A level team. Going to every single qualifier within a days drive to hopefully get lucky. The fact is, if you are a mid-level A team, your efforts (and money) may be better spent elsewhere than traveling cross country to get lucky.

Dec 26, 2008
I would be a little leary of this schedule. It sounds as though the team may not be a top A level team. Going to every single qualifier within a days drive to hopefully get lucky. The fact is, if you are a mid-level A team, your efforts (and money) may be better spent elsewhere than traveling cross country to get lucky.[/QUOTE]

Some call it fishing....good post...

Most high level A teams usually play up an age group through fall I.E. 14U up to 16U then for summer ball they pick the best tournaments at their age level through the summer with a few qualifiers mixed in.

Question: If this is the top team in your area why are you settling for ASA and not trying to go to PGF? Much better teams from top to bottom IMHO

Oct 10, 2011
Yes

It was the same for our 14 u A team and we basically got one weekend a month off from late March to the end of August and then 2 weeks off, then back at it till November. We got really burned out.

Jul 2, 2013
Most high level A teams usually play up an age group through fall I.E. 14U up to 16U then for summer ball they pick the best tournaments at their age level through the summer with a few qualifiers mixed in.

Question: If this is the top team in your area why are you settling for ASA and not trying to go to PGF? Much better teams from top to bottom IMHO

PGF ... a whole different topic.

And corporate America makes its appearance.

Look at the PGF fees, appearance rules, schedules, and teams. Granted this year, PGF has become top dog. All the great top travel teams are on board. Great, great tournament.

ASA is trying to battle back and a great place for the more modest top travel team to make its mark.

I am so glad my DD has a only a couple more years of this travel softball gig. Who knows where it is headed, but corporate america is getting its taste with the PGF ... and the end result will be the organizations with the most money and power, will get a seat at the table.

I remind you folks, the vast majority of money comes from one place ... the parents pocket.

Glad we played when we did.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I would suspect that the schedule might be tentative.

They probably listed all the qualifiers because it is easier and more accepted to cancel a scheduled out of town tourney than it is to add one with short notice. List them all in the event that your team needs to keep taking those shots to qualify.

My guess is that once you qualify the remainder of the out of town qualifiers would be scrapped.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413