A message to coaches from a pitching instructor.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
If a coach has concerns that is fine but all instruction needs to come from pitching coach or single point.
When it comes to pitchers you are dancing with the one you brought. 30 minutes prior to the game is no time for instruction.
I would rather a coach sit DD than mess with form without discussion with pitching coach.

I agree for the most part, but you are assuming that the pitching coach knows what they are doing.

You can avoid all of this by asking a player before you offer them a position (on a travel team) who their pitching and hitting coaches are. I specifically avoid players who go to certain hitting and pitching coaches. It isn't worth the headache no matter how good the player is.

For school teams, I would not be concerned as the coach what anyone outside of the school coaching staff thought. If you don't like it don't play. It's just that simple. Think of HS softball as a different sport altogether. It isn't an ego thing, it's self-preservation. There is no other sane way to do it (in my opinion).

May 13, 2023
This may not be at all high schools but it certainly at a noticeable percentage...

It occurs (to me this is funny) that in high school you do have some players that have their own instructors and parents are telling dd's to nod at coach say yes and forget about it. But then you also have the group of players that don't give a hoot what the coach is saying anyway.
Not travel ball players and don't have instructors. They just don't want to listen.
So the majority of the players basically don't pay attention to coach anyway...
Coaches ego self-preservation or whatever their story is....
High school players have high school teenager on the brain... this is what's happening in high school. All that coach telling player what to do stuff pretty much goes in the drama basket.

If there can be an actual civilized conversation about the player's mechanics and improving that would be an outstanding moment!

Apr 14, 2022
I agree for the most part, but you are assuming that the pitching coach knows what they are doing.

You can avoid all of this by asking a player before you offer them a position (on a travel team) who their pitching and hitting coaches are. I specifically avoid players who go to certain hitting and pitching coaches. It isn't worth the headache no matter how good the player is.

For school teams, I would not be concerned as the coach what anyone outside of the school coaching staff thought. If you don't like it don't play. It's just that simple. Think of HS softball as a different sport altogether. It isn't an ego thing, it's self-preservation. There is no other sane way to do it (in my opinion).
How does the player become good with bad coaching?

I was more saying single point instruction. Last thing you want is too many bosses. In this case if it is going to be the coach, drop the pitching coach.

I am sure some PC are not the greatest, but can be evaluated. In general pc see a # of pitchers; coaches see 3-4 per team they coach.
In my experience it is way more likely a coach has no idea (but think they do) than a pitching coach.

May 13, 2023
Something to consider

There is a great chance a player will have a pitching instructor longer than they will have the same coaches.

Possibly High School being a short season will have a travel ball coach longer than a high school coach. Especially in areas where softball is year round.

Definitely know that i have student catchers and hitters that have been on my schedule far longer (years longer) than any travel coach they had.
To the point where over the years I was the most consistent person in their softball Journey.

Jun 18, 2023
How does the player become good with bad coaching?

I was more saying single point instruction. Last thing you want is too many bosses. In this case if it is going to be the coach, drop the pitching coach.
the player is the boss. she's building the product. The coaches are just workers. Maybe one does most of the work, has been there longer, but ultimately the player has to execute, has to weed out bad advice from good, has to figure out what works to her, and where to put the work in, who to trust, etc.

A player gets good by learning and growing, figuring out what's bad advice and what's good, and how to incorporate it all. (also true of non-softball life tbh)

Apr 14, 2022
the player is the boss. she's building the product. The coaches are just workers. Maybe one does most of the work, has been there longer, but ultimately the player has to execute, has to weed out bad advice from good, has to figure out what works to her, and where to put the work in, who to trust, etc.

A player gets good by learning and growing, figuring out what's bad advice and what's good, and how to incorporate it all. (also true of non-softball life tbh)
So if a player should want HC to defer instruction to pitching coach, the head coach respect that?

Apr 14, 2022
Lots of great players without good coaches. They most likely have a superior physical and/or mental approach to the game.
That is why I said bad coaching. I doubt many players are good with bad coaching.
If a coach routinely turns out good players, they are probably a good coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah