A Little Scared for my Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
Wow that's a lot of assumptions. I bet your days are full of surprises. Again It was not just a mask issue, its the throw a mask on and that solves everything issue.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
^^^^ This is the most accurate statement I have seen yet. The get her a mask replies are ridiculous and show a lack of understanding all together.

this was your first post on the subject, if you don't see how this ruffles feathers and implies you are a know it all then so be it. Why not just say "my bad- I didn't mean to imply that girls who wear masks lack fundamentals, I just think that the mask is fine but should be seen as a bridge to confidence and not a security blanket" or something similar instead of calling everyone idiots every other post?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Yeah I would probably stay away from my experience since you have no clue what it is sir. That might save you from some embarrassment later on.

and here is where you basically said that if Nano knew your experience then he would be embarrassed- isn't this another way of saying you are have a lot of experience or that you are a really good coach?

Apr 1, 2010
Good luck to her! It is a very exciting ride. :) Yes, get a mask and hit/throw 'em to her hard. Third base in travel ball needs to be able to charge up scary close.

I haven't finished reading the thread, but something I haven't seen mentioned outside of your original post is the throw to first. Yes, she's got to be able to snag bullets at the hot corner, but it's also imperative that she makes catchable throws to first, both from back by the bag and up from a bunt--under enormous time pressure. If there's ever a practice session when you don't have a first baseman for her, be sure to have some sort of target she can use. I don't think you can practice that throw too much! If you know any fast runners who can help out, I think it would be great to have someone running home to first on her while she's practicing so she can get used to how fast it's got to be.

Sep 18, 2011
Good luck to her! It is a very exciting ride. :) Yes, get a mask and hit/throw 'em to her hard. Third base in travel ball needs to be able to charge up scary close.

I haven't finished reading the thread, but something I haven't seen mentioned outside of your original post is the throw to first. Yes, she's got to be able to snag bullets at the hot corner, but it's also imperative that she makes catchable throws to first, both from back by the bag and up from a bunt--under enormous time pressure. If there's ever a practice session when you don't have a first baseman for her, be sure to have some sort of target she can use. I don't think you can practice that throw too much! If you know any fast runners who can help out, I think it would be great to have someone running home to first on her while she's practicing so she can get used to how fast it's got to be.

Great post!!! Instead of using a runner, though, maybe just use a stopwatch. A runner will get tired rather quickly. Track how long it takes from when the ball is batted (or bunted) to when it ends up in first baseman's mitt. Your goal should be 3 seconds or less. Keep working at it and you will see the improvement. Like MsDinosaur said fielding is only half the battle. Your DD should work on throwing mechanics too.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm one of 'those' idiots that has a DD that wears a mask. If that makes me an idiot. Then I wear that 'badge' proudly. Laura (DD) can only hope and work hard that she may some day get to wear a mask in a college softball game. DD doesn't wear a mask because she's afraid of getting hit with a ball. DD wears a mask because dad is afraid she may get hit with a ball. I'm an idiot like that.:eek:

Oct 25, 2009
I recall the first year they required cages on the batting helmets. One of the toughest kids I've seen play the game got hit in the mask. It was one of those heavy-duty Shutt cages. It bent it so far to the side they couldn't even re-shape it with vise grips!

That was a great feeling that she only had a very minor injury! Same great feeling I had a couple years ago when that Florida slapper got hit in the face mask!

There was plenty of conversations about "tough" players didn't need all that protection way back then, also. Now it's just normal gear.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Wow that's a lot of assumptions. I bet your days are full of surprises. Again It was not just a mask issue, its the throw a mask on and that solves everything issue.

Thank all of you who defended my statement of "get a mask"- but I'd like to defend myself- first lets review what this OP says- his daughter has moved up to a higher level of play and he is concerned for her safety- that is what I read. My interpretation- if his daughter is playing NOW, and he is concerned, the easiest way to alleviate risk RIGHT NOW is for her to wear a mask- that is my opinion, hence my response. that did not mean- as you interpreted- that , because she is taking this immediate safety measure, that she should roll over and play dead and stop working on her skills, or stop growing and maturing her athleticism. Rather, I would think the natural course of events is that after a year or two or four, she may feel she does not need to wear it or a mouth protector- but that will be her own decision hopefully made as her experience with the game matures as well.

Perhaps you think it best that she get thrown in the deep end - and work like mad on her skills- well that does not really address the immediate concern does it? Her immediate need for some coverage if her skills and reaction time need some development- With a mask, she can get "on the job" training which together with her own practice, is most likely to accelerate her skills development.

DI college players are 18-21 year olds with significant experience at playing at the highest level, you can't compare that to a newly minted 14U who has gone up to a much more competitive team- and level of play- I say protect her until she and her parent feel comfortable that her skill levels catch up,

My DD pitches and wore a mask for 14U, when she went up to 18U, against my preference, she decided not to wear her mask. two weeks ago at a tournament she came in in relief to pitch against a very good team, nationally ranked. She was wearing the mask, and I asked her later why. She said since she had already pitched a full game and she was a bit tired, "if I make a mistake and hang a pitch, i am not going to have time to react against these hitters"- she saw that herself. I have, in the past two tournaments, seen two different pitchers hit hard with balls up the middle, one on the lower leg, one on the chest. 60+ mph pitch plus 60+ mph bat speed over 40-50 feet is not much time.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Wow step away for a few hours and the thread blew up straight to smithereens. ;)

We had her out today on her old little league field practicing grounders with her uncle covering first. She's a good fielder. Still catching off to the side on harder hit balls that she should be in front of but I'm hoping that will change with repetition and reinforcement.

I have so many questions but I don't want to overload the board with issues specific to my daughter. I also am reluctant to bother the coaches too much because they have 50 sets of parents between 12U-18U to deal with and I don't want to be a pest.

If I can ask another question I would appreciate it. How many of you pay to have training for your DD beyond what the team does. Our organization encourages working out on your own but it seems like this issue is somewhat sensitive. My daughter is talented but raw, she clearly needs to be molded. Team practices are run well and the staff is first class as I have said but I think she could benefit from some one on one. I know baseball inside and out but I don't know the first thing about coaching. I was thinking of paying for once a week sessions over the winter to focus on areas that the instructor feels she needs to work on but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I also don't want to get scammed or have her recruited for another team. Some of the facilities I have looked up online seem to be money mills that will take anyone and "advise" you on your child's weaknesses and the need for endless training.

I'm kinda lost. Anyway, thanks for all the posts, even the entertaining smack talk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619