A Little Scared for my Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have so many questions but I don't want to overload the board with issues specific to my daughter. I also am reluctant to bother the coaches too much because they have 50 sets of parents between 12U-18U to deal with and I don't want to be a pest.
No one will mind. Go for it!
If I can ask another question I would appreciate it. How many of you pay to have training for your DD beyond what the team does. Our organization encourages working out on your own but it seems like this issue is somewhat sensitive. My daughter is talented but raw, she clearly needs to be molded. Team practices are run well and the staff is first class as I have said but I think she could benefit from some one on one. I know baseball inside and out but I don't know the first thing about coaching. I was thinking of paying for once a week sessions over the winter to focus on areas that the instructor feels she needs to work on but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I also don't want to get scammed or have her recruited for another team. Some of the facilities I have looked up online seem to be money mills that will take anyone and "advise" you on your child's weaknesses and the need for endless training.

Once a week training sounds good. You won't be stepping on toes. And don't be afraid to ask the coaches what would be good to work on at home. I'm sure most of them would love the question and be happy to give you some suggestions.

Oct 25, 2009
... I know baseball inside and out but I don't know the first thing about coaching. ...

That IS the first thing! Try it yourself or use your knowledge to find a good fit for your DD.

As far as the mask, you know the most important reason to wear it. There have been many good reasons to wear it. There has not been one good reason not to. The suggestion that it will obstruct the player's vision is the same bad logic they used when the helmet cage was being debated.

As was suggested, use the mask at least until she hones her skills. Then, BE the role model for those who will benefit from using a mask.

Apr 1, 2010
Wow step away for a few hours and the thread blew up straight to smithereens. ;)

We had her out today on her old little league field practicing grounders with her uncle covering first. She's a good fielder. Still catching off to the side on harder hit balls that she should be in front of but I'm hoping that will change with repetition and reinforcement.

I have so many questions but I don't want to overload the board with issues specific to my daughter. I also am reluctant to bother the coaches too much because they have 50 sets of parents between 12U-18U to deal with and I don't want to be a pest.

If I can ask another question I would appreciate it. How many of you pay to have training for your DD beyond what the team does. Our organization encourages working out on your own but it seems like this issue is somewhat sensitive. My daughter is talented but raw, she clearly needs to be molded. Team practices are run well and the staff is first class as I have said but I think she could benefit from some one on one. I know baseball inside and out but I don't know the first thing about coaching. I was thinking of paying for once a week sessions over the winter to focus on areas that the instructor feels she needs to work on but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I also don't want to get scammed or have her recruited for another team. Some of the facilities I have looked up online seem to be money mills that will take anyone and "advise" you on your child's weaknesses and the need for endless training.

I'm kinda lost. Anyway, thanks for all the posts, even the entertaining smack talk.

As far as I'm concerned, please ask away! I've been paying for extra training (on and off) for DD for years. She has a hitting instructor and a catching instructor. It's been hard to find (non-injured) time to see them lately (we had to cancel her latest hitting lesson due to a bad knee and I think the last time we saw Chaz for catching ages ago, she was banged up too and couldn't really work on everything), but at one time, she was seeing them every week or two.

Back when she was younger, during the summer she worked out every now and then with a nice lady who had played college ball to work on skills and get ready for tryouts and during a couple of those winters she worked out in an indoor facility with instructors who were mostly teaching baseball to boys, but didn't mind throwing a few softballs into the mix. I think once a week sessions over the winter are a great idea. If she's a little bit behind where she wants to be, it's a good chance to close the gap.

Something I forgot to mention... You might also consider speed and agility/conditioning training during the winter. It makes it a lot easier in the spring if you're in good shape going in.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Great post!!! Instead of using a runner, though, maybe just use a stopwatch. A runner will get tired rather quickly. Track how long it takes from when the ball is batted (or bunted) to when it ends up in first baseman's mitt. Your goal should be 3 seconds or less. Keep working at it and you will see the improvement. Like MsDinosaur said fielding is only half the battle. Your DD should work on throwing mechanics too.

I've used either a stopwatch or just counting for DD #1 (practicing fielding at 3B) and DD #3 (practicing fielding at P). Also, a sibling at first base. DD #3 helped out DD #1, DS helped out DD #3.

DS was a great practice 1B, since he is about 6' tall, and could catch DD #3's high throws. He pointed out that those would be errors unless she had a 6' tall 1B. Now I understand why so many good 1B are so tall! (DS has a friend who was the all-conference 1B last spring, and is 6' tall. That lady now has a rowing scholarship at Wisconsin).

Using a stopwatch has two effects: first, it makes the girls field faster. Second, if they are throwing too soon, it lets them know they have to time to set up a better throw. DD #3's throws over DS's head were with a full second to spare.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
One last word about mouth guards and masks.

For my daughters, those were as much for the parents' peace of mind as anything else.

DD #1 did NOT want to play with a mask. When she got to higher levels, and she was playing 3B halfway to home plate, we were getting very nervous. After all, in one game, the pitcher got a broken hand from a line drive, and that was as good a fielding pitcher as you will find in these parts at the HS level (that pitcher was first-team all-conference SS, so she knows how to field).

DD #1 was a good enough fielder that her mouth guard never actually helped her. The most dangerous line drives ended up in her glove. However, all it takes is missing ONE stray line drive and her perfect teeth would be gone.

DD #3 also wears a mask in tournaments playing P, SS or 3B because we, and the coaches, FORCE her to. She doesn't like the mask, but she likes her teeth.

Do you know what it took to get the girls to wear the mouth guard and mask respectively?

DD #1's close friend, playing 2B, was injured during practice. She was out for a few games. Everyone thought it was a broken nose. Luckily, it wasn't. Her friend is a pretty girl, and a broken nose could've made her less pretty. A mask would've protected her.

DD #3 saw a friend get injured in the face during practice, and miss part of the next tournament. Very scary, nasty shiner, but nothing broken. DD #3 got a mask the next day.

Sort of like how I have rarely seen anyone need a batting helmet, expect for a few times when it prevented injuries. I saw a girl get hit in the head yesterday evening. She got in between the ball and the catcher running home. Nobody hurt.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I am very sorry to hear this. That cannot have been very fun.

She was 10 playing all-stars. Coach was hitting smoking hot grounders to get them ready for 1st tournament. Took a bad hop hit the top of her glove then her face and broke off her front tooth at the gum line. 2 years later, trips to numerous dentists, orthodontists and endodontists the tooth gave up the ghost and she had a root canal. She's had a temporary filling for the last 4 years that will be replaced by a post and crown sometime next year. She's not supposed to eat ribs off the bone or corn on the cob but loves both so manages without using her front teeth. So no, not fun at all.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Best wishes for your DD. I hope the post and crown work out well enough for a lifetime of ribs and corn on the cob.

Softball can be dangerous.

But then, I remember what my brother said after I had a serious bicycle accident. He has had a few serious bike accidents as well. His view is that you can risk getting hurt doing something you love, or risk getting a heart attack watching TV on the sofa.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619