A Little Scared for my Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2014
Ross Ohio
here's a helpful video for fielding a ball at third
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXl2hLL5xO4
A couple years ago during practice my DD was batting with the coach pitching. She hit a screamer line drive towards the girl at third who was not paying attention it came with in a few inches of her face. It was a good thing that she wasn't paying attention because if she would of reacted and moved towards the right she would been in some real trouble.
Ever since then she wears a mask weather she likes it or not. Maybe it's from the embarrassment of her dad stopping the game because she forgot to put it on but it's apart of her now. If she's playing in field as pitcher 1st. or 3rd. she doesn't hesitate to put it on.

Aug 12, 2014
Softball can be dangerous.

But then, I remember what my brother said after I had a serious bicycle accident. He has had a few serious bike accidents as well. His view is that you can risk getting hurt doing something you love, or risk getting a heart attack watching TV on the sofa.

And you can also use some common sense to mitigate the risk by doing things like wearing a bike helmet or a fielding mask.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
And you can also use some common sense to mitigate the risk by doing things like wearing a bike helmet or a fielding mask.

Three bike stories:

First, when my younger brother was finishing up college, he got in a nasty bike wreck. He flew off the bike, bounced off his head, and landed on his leg. A few month later, he tried to hike for a while on the Appalachian Trail. He stopped because his leg still hurt. His head was fine.

A few years earlier, my father had been a Fulbright fellow, teaching in China. None of the Chinese would wear helmets, so the foreigners wouldn't either. Until one day my mother went out riding a bike. She woke up in a hospital with no idea how she got there.

Recently, a nurse who is my wife's friend, got into a bike accident. She was wearing a helmet, but is still out of work for a month with a concussion. Who knows how bad that would've been with no helmet.

Aug 18, 2014
Just an update on Madison. We were able to get a weekly workout scheduled with the coach of the 12U team. He is a serious player who is currently playing college ball and played fast pitch in Denmark, just an incredible story and a very nice guy. So for now we will do that once a week one on one plus her team practice. I'm going to let him decide what areas she needs to work on. She just turned 13 but I feel like we got a late start, is that crazy or what? Anyway another question (and thank you as always). The one on one can get pricey if you figure it over a whole year. To any parents who use private instruction: do you take a break (say November-January) on the private lessons or do you go through all year? I figure with the right coach there is enough to learn and practice forever :)

I am totally amped up and so is DD just wanna do what is right for her development.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Just an update on Madison. We were able to get a weekly workout scheduled with the coach of the 12U team. He is a serious player who is currently playing college ball and played fast pitch in Denmark, just an incredible story and a very nice guy. So for now we will do that once a week one on one plus her team practice. I'm going to let him decide what areas she needs to work on. She just turned 13 but I feel like we got a late start, is that crazy or what? Anyway another question (and thank you as always). The one on one can get pricey if you figure it over a whole year. To any parents who use private instruction: do you take a break (say November-January) on the private lessons or do you go through all year? I figure with the right coach there is enough to learn and practice forever :)

I am totally amped up and so is DD just wanna do what is right for her development.

My DD takes hitting lessons from a D1 coach. We are planning on continuing through fall ball season (end of October) and then starting up again in January...

Oct 25, 2009

I would talk with the coach about the idea of learning during lessons with "practice" sessions on what was taught being done separately. IOW, a lesson or so one week and practice outside of the lesson for a week or so.

When I give hitting lessons it seems it's mostly practicing what's been taught than teaching anything new.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would talk with the coach about the idea of learning during lessons with "practice" sessions on what was taught being done separately. IOW, a lesson or so one week and practice outside of the lesson for a week or so.

When I give hitting lessons it seems it's mostly practicing what's been taught than teaching anything new.

Excellent point. As a PC I do not go on to point B until they master point A. When I point out to the person with the checkbook that they just had a $75 practice session the level of home practice usually increases significantly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez