A lefty at short stop ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe because 90% of non pitchers in college are playing positions they did not play in HS. Do you think a college coach would not take notice of a lefty playing SS and think, hmm that kid can play ball, but she can't play outfield for me because she is a lefty SS?

It is just that SS is where a lefty would most be at a disadvantage. Why do that? I would think she would be of more help to her team somewhere else.

Jan 20, 2010
I think in a double play situation a lefty can field a ground ball , over run & tag 2nd base and throw to 1st on his natural side without haveing to transfer his weight ( basically around the runner approaching 2 nd base ) , where as a right hand thrower has to stop and transfer his weight back to his throwing arm side . `
My son plays u19 ss club which is at a high level and he has a quick transfer play and a rocket arm ( maybe looking to play baseball as a pitcher ?? ) . They won there section this season and it was a great final , a real nail biter .
All i hear from coaches at a high level is that you never put a lefty at short , they cant give me a real reason why , likewise a lefty as a catcher ? .

It is because they are at a huge disadvantage when fielding up the middle and at a huge disadvantage making the throw from the hole.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
You don't do it for the same reasons you don't have LH catchers. It might work at lower levels, but when the player gets older and the players are more evenly matched it will not work. If you have a very gifted LH player she needs to running the OF as much as she can, because that is where she is going to end up playing. JMO

Apr 1, 2010
You don't do it for the same reasons you don't have LH catchers. It might work at lower levels, but when the player gets older and the players are more evenly matched it will not work. If you have a very gifted LH player she needs to running the OF as much as she can, because that is where she is going to end up playing. JMO

I've actually heard several times that LH catchers work very well in fastpitch. The short game is so important that the lefty's better angle on the throw to first is a much bigger plus than in baseball.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
I've actually heard several times that LH catchers work very well in fastpitch. The short game is so important that the lefty's better angle on the throw to first is a much bigger plus than in baseball.

I agree that a LH catcher will work more so that a LH ss, but I also feel that as you get older and the talent evens out a LH SS will be a disadvantage. jmo

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It is just that SS is where a lefty would most be at a disadvantage. Why do that? I would think she would be of more help to her team somewhere else.
My point being, if she earned the spot that means she is better at the position then the rest of the girls. If thats the case, how is she of less help then a girl who is right handed but an inferior player to the lefty

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yeah you would never see a lefty catcher on team USA. Oh wait, yes you have, never mind.

Nov 1, 2009
The reason you don't see left handers in softball at short is the feet would always be in the wrong position for the throw to first. You would have to either throw completely open or completely pivot on every throw to first. When you consider how many plays are extremely close it wouldn't make sense to have a lefty.

As a catcher right or left are both good for receiving the ball or fielding the position. The big disadvantage to the lefty is when applying a tag at the plate. Just like a righty at first the glove is completely on the opposite side of the body from the play and could be an issue.

Jan 20, 2010
My point being, if she earned the spot that means she is better at the position then the rest of the girls. If thats the case, how is she of less help then a girl who is right handed but an inferior player to the lefty

Because she would still be relatively better at any other position so the team could be better overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach