A couple of swing videos of my daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Watch her drop her hands at swing initiation. Compare that to the many high level swings you can find on this sight. Over the past few months watching girls from 9 - 15 swing I see lowering the hands to the ball as the most often obvious difference between these kids and the high level college hitters. this lowering either comes at initiation as in your daughters case or in a downward chopping swing which results in popups. Compare to this clip[video]http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/olympic?p=7&n=1&m=24&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9[/video]

May 13, 2008
Here is one of the videos slowed down and brightened up a bit...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNSqJfXoW0k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNSqJfXoW0k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jan 10, 2010
Here is one of the videos slowed down and brightened up a bit...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNSqJfXoW0k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNSqJfXoW0k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Looks like she has some weird "bobbing" going on through her swing.

Last edited:
May 28, 2008
not that I am as good as the other guys on here but I see some of the same issues in my kids swing. Looks like she is too tall and using her hands to line up to the ball vs. using tilt!

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Here are some videos of my daughter tonight. Sorry about the quality, I was using my wifes camera. If someone could work their magic and slow them down that would be great. Please discuss all you see. Thanks.

YouTube - 100_4905.mov

YouTube - 100_4904.mov

YouTube - 100_4906.mov

Nor10

Stand behind her, catchers position and hold onto the ball on a rope. Top of the hands top of the shoulder and in my opinion she starts with her hands too high. Then have her slowly load and toe touch and separate and ask her to slowly start her swing and think the elbows are working as a unit and the knob of the bat is leading the elbows. Look for the back elbow to be lowering into the slot as the lead elbow is moving forward and up and her turn and tilt MUST be happening and she will be in the bat lag position. I like having a ball ob the tee set for up the middle so they visually see the hands staying inside the path of the ball. Now tell her to unhinge or release the bat head to the ball and YOU keep the ball in line with the bat handle and she will see it. Do it a few times so she can feel the bat leg as you are holding the ball back with a little tension on it. The front elbow is also too high to begin with. I have our hitters keep the lead elbow down further and hold onto their wrist and ask them to make a good first move by allowing the lead arm elbow to go forward and up like it is going up a ramp slightly and they feel the power. Now repeat and start where she is in the video and and she will not be able to move you. Next with the WhipHit have her only hold the bat in her lead hand and take her back hand and hold the ball rearward slight and using the lead elbow load and go to toe touch and separate the lead hand slightly and allow the lead elbow to make a good first move and pull the ball out of the top hand and finish over her shoulder. She is not getting to extension in my opinion in the video's and this will help that.

By her feeling what the elbows are doing normally gets them going faster than showing them a video of what they are doing incorrectly....see it, feel it and fix it!

Go to the WhipHit web site and show her as this is a 12 year old boy hitting exactly up the middle in real time and slow motion!

I will be out of town for a couple days and will check back in Monday to see how you are doing.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Nor10, thanks for posting the video -- I'm sure you'll learn a lot when folks start analyzing the swing.

I have a question myself, though, first.

If she is dropping her hands at initiation how is she able to hit a line-drive with the whip-it? Is she getting that result by "cheating" somehow with this hitting tool?

A question as much about the whip-it as the swing.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
not that I am as good as the other guys on here but I see some of the same issues in my kids swing. Looks like she is too tall and using her hands to line up to the ball vs. using tilt!

To get balanced have her bend at the waist first and soften the knees next in that order exactly and then push alternately on her back and chest and she should be balanced and very stable. IF she is rocking heel to toe repeat and adjust more/ less at he waist first and then more /less at the knees until she is stable. To test so she and you understand this have her soften the knees first and then bend at the waist and you will push her over so be careful. Balance only works one way! Posture to me is not balance, it is what balance looks like.
If you walked into a room and saw me how would you know I had set up correctly until you tested me? This is the case with many hitters as they look good as to posture however they did not get set up correctly and their athletic position was compromised.

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Nor10, thanks for posting the video -- I'm sure you'll learn a lot when folks start analyzing the swing.

If she is dropping her hands at initiation how is she able to hit a line-drive with the whip-it? Is she getting that result by "cheating" somehow with this hitting tool?

In the larger screen I see the ball going right of center and down as she hit around the ball and on top of it and finished just about at the shoulder in my opinion. I have used the WhipHit since 2004 so I understand how it works and why it works. If you go to the WhipHit web site you will see me working with a 12 year boy hitting the ball exactly up the middle.

Thanks Howard

Jan 10, 2010

She gets lucky sometimes. That and for all her flaws, I think she has some very very quick hands. I see it and many many people tell her that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877