A couple of swing videos of my daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2010
Heres a new video of the daughter. Dont tell her I posted it. Shhhh.

YouTube - 100_4917.mov

We have been working pretty hard, we're using towel to help us remember the connection between hip shoulder and hands.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Heres a new video of the daughter. Dont tell her I posted it. Shhhh.

YouTube - 100_4917.mov

We have been working pretty hard, we're using towel to help us remember the connection between hip shoulder and hands.

Big improvement as she hit the zone and was just a little right of center. Try to get her to separate the hands a little more at toe touch and it appears to me she is much more connected!

She should be proud of her improvement and now we need more momentum and build from there.

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Do you mean a negative movement back when you say seperate her hands more?

Think of throwing...do you separate your ball hand rearward? Yes! Now with both hands on the bat the lead hand restricts the back hand from moving rearward, so it must move as a unit and only so far before th e shoulder rolls inward. Just move the hands back a little for momentum.

Thanks Howard

Jan 10, 2010
I thought thats what you meant. Right now I have her taking a slight turn back and that is ONLY because of the rolled up towel I have her pinching between the bat and her shoulder.I know she has to have a negative movement back, but think its more important to work on the connection drill 1st. I am not sure if you have ever used a rolled up towel (probably) but the idea is to have it drop somewhere in between her feet. If drops before she is moving her hands too soon. For now, I am trying to drill this into her muscle memory to reinforce the idea of connection. I do understand what you're saying and will definately keep that in mind once we progress past this. Thanks for pointing that out too, it is very much appreciated.

Howard, I wanted to ask. I had her take a couple of swings with her normal bat last night after working out with the WhipHit and while her swing with a bat looks much improved, she is now have some difficulty hitting the ball off the Tee with a regular bat. She seems to be dropping the bat head a few inches before contact. Any thoughts?

Here is one where she completely missed the ball on the Tee:

YouTube - 100_4919.mov

See anything different here between this and the latest whiphit video? I think the swing looks nice, but I think the Tee is too far out in front for using a regular bat, but am not sure. Where do you guys recommend placing the Tee when using a regular bat?

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
Please rethink this towel drill and ask yourself what it is reinforcing. Compare what is happening with the hands to Crystl's swing here...

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Please rethink this towel drill and ask yourself what it is reinforcing. Compare what is happening with the hands to Crystl's swing here...

Look at how Crystl flows to the ball....this is why we teach how to throw so they have some timing and rhythm involved in their stance.

I agree with Chris and skip the towels. Take a half empty bottle of water and lay it horizontally in your hand and make the water shift from one end to the other so it gently flows and you are controlling it. Then have her put her hand under yours so she can feel the weight shifting. Explain to her when we do the negative move it is only her shifting the weight inside the back leg. Then as we go to toe touch the hands move rearward as if throw a ball however because the lead hand is on the bat it will limit how far back the hands can move. Usually a couple inches past the back shoulder is all that is needed. I have a pair of socks that I have them hold and they interlock the bottom hand index finger to the top hand baby finger and hold the socks in the top hand. They stand in front of the mirror as if the pitcher is in the mirror. Set up by bending at the waist, softening the knees top of the hands top of the shoulders, slow to load and soft o step and separate the hands rearward. Now where are the socks? Can you see the socks or are they behind her head? If behind the head she probably rolled the shoulders in or did not take her elbows back. The hands should remain visible. Now keep the hands connect and lower the back elbow as the lead elbow makes a good first move and throw the socks into the mirror. Some times when they see them self doing it they feel it faster.

She is a little mechanical and I think I can hear you say GO! In China e,r is one,two so I would drag out using my voice inflection, eeeeeeeee, r! Or oneeeeeeeee, two! E was the loading sequence and R was going to toe touch, separating the hands and hitting the ball. She needs a little rhythm and timing to get her body moving.

Another drill is termed face the fire where she lines up behind home plate like the catcher and looks through the net or in your case a spot on the net, gets balanced and takes her back foot and steps around and plants it and then strides forward and as she strides looks at the ball on the tee and hits it. This may get her to loosen up a bit.

Thanks Howard

Oct 12, 2009

I use a variation of the towel drill to try to get hitters to focus on swinging with the body and not just the arms.

What Crystl does in this clip is a bit atypical.

I would be hesitant to teach what Crystl is doing with her hands in this clip because, with kids at least, the result is generally a very long, slow, and arm-y swing.

There's also the question of exactly what she is doing with her hands.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I use a variation of the towel drill to try to get hitters to focus on swinging with the body and not just the arms.

What Crystl does in this clip is a bit atypical.

I would be hesitant to teach what Crystl is doing with her hands in this clip because, with kids at least, the result is generally a very long, slow, and arm-y swing.

There's also the question of exactly what she is doing with her hands.

This is exactly what we try and teach at our clinics and I would be interested in the comment about what she is doing with her hands. This was an inside pitch, about 8 inches in that went 308.5 feet. We are not quick to the ball as we feel flowing to the ball works well for our kids and adjusting to where the ball is being pitched.

Thanks Howard

Oct 12, 2009
This is exactly what we try and teach at our clinics and I would be interested in the comment about what she is doing with her hands. This was an inside pitch, about 8 inches in that went 308.5 feet. We are not quick to the ball as we feel flowing to the ball works well for our kids and adjusting to where the ball is being pitched.

Some people interpret this clip as showing her rotating her hands (aka changing the hinge angle) very early.

That's not what you see in most good swings, and it's arguable about whether that's actually going on in this clip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1