Help with daughter! (Video link included)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2022
Hello,

Here is a YouTube link to my daughter doing 3 pitches during practice:

The second pitch look the best to me, but ironically flew over the catcher and hit the fence!

My daughter has been working on a couple of big transitions: Moving from HE to internal rotation and moving from a swing back to out of glove delivery.

Thanks to this board, we found Rick Pauly’s stuff and have made significant strides since.

However, there is not an IR instructor in my area. Any guidance on the #1 area of focus for my daughter would be greatly appreciated. I am trying not to tell her 50 things at once!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She looks pretty good mechanically to me. I would say as she gets comfortable with her motion just speed it up, faster, faster, more effort. Right now she looks very measured and controlled, which is fine when you're learning and getting it grooved. Then push the envelope, if she gets to a point where the effort causes a breakdown then back off until she recovers then go at it again. Eventually she'll need to learn some different pitches.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Looks pretty good to me. As ArmWhip stated, it looks measured. It's going to be a big transition for your daughter. So don't worry about results (strikes/balls) right away. I'd concentrate on letting that ball fly at full speed (no matter where it goes) and once she can do that then you can start honing in on location, which should be easier if she has good mechanics.

tldr Speed before location.

Jan 28, 2017
What does the spin look like? Fingers may not be at 6 o’clock at release. A little side ways possibly and hand away from her hip. I see this a lot when starting out trying to get brush and they do get brush with the forearm but the hand is out.

Apr 17, 2022
I appreciate the feedback. The main thing I was looking for with this post was “You are on the correct path,” as I have made many mistakes in this venture.

As for spin, the ball usually has a 2/ 8 spin. If my readings are correct, a 12/6 or 1/7 would be more desirable.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
I agree with the others on measured and conservative. My daughter is a perfectionist so dealt with that also. One analogy is a race car driver. If they never hit the outside wall they aren’t pushing things hard enough so OK to crash occasionally to make sure going as hard as you can.

One thing to consider is get rid of the catcher and throw in to a tarp or net. Takes away the ball/strike and allows them to focus on form. Can say a thousand times we aren’t worried about balls and strikes at this point but if throwing to a catcher it’s gonna be there. Also a great way to push the speed and intensity since that is the whole focus.

Keep working but she is on her way.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A7048E1F-8DA7-4B54-BDEA-DAC6D22B2E22.jpeg

Really good whip!

Here’s a couple things to look at:
-Drive to the target, not up. She hops upward in at least one of the pitches.
-Keep working on posture. With improved posture, she may get a little more brush, which will eliminate high ones (and low ones.)
-Once she get consistent with posture and brush, add some quickness to her drive.

Feb 11, 2020
How old is she? And how long has she been pitching. Your DD much better arm whip than mine so great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2022
All of these comments are really helpful. I have shared every response with my daughter. She needs the confidence that we are on the path to get her back on the mound.

Some of the comments have reinforced (posture, for example) ideas we have been trying to improve upon.

@Sweetclemens she is 14 and will be entering high school next year. We started pretty late at 11 years old. I love working with her, and hope she can develop into a junior varsity pitcher and maybe contribute to her varsity team later in her career.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802