a couple observations from tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
Like most, I agree with 1 and 3. 2 is not quite as concrete.

If you just showed up at a tryout with no prior contact with the coaches, you are at a disadvantage. There is no denying that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Like most, I agree with 1 and 3. 2 is not quite as concrete.

If you just showed up at a tryout with no prior contact with the coaches, you are at a disadvantage. There is no denying that.
Those type of coaches who do not offer opportunity to contact befor hand,
me personally would stay away from.
imo that just show up cattle call is a one sided who knows whats going on.
Too much uncertainty.

Much prefer coaches who recognize communicating is important!
And are open to talking about things like goals and roles on the team.

Feb 1, 2021
This will be a big piece for us. I've done a lot of asking around about coaches and team cultures the past couple of weeks. Even asking what the team does/doesn't do between tournament games. Do the girls/parents hang out? Does everyone go their separate ways until the next game? Any team/family activities between tournaments? Etc.

This is kind of funny to me. If I asked that and they said they did lots of activities on our free time, I would not play for that team. Lol.

I guess I'm too cheap, enjoy my privacy to much, and don't enjoy watching people drink themselves 'stoopid' all that much.

Jun 19, 2016
A lot of time tryouts are just a formality or something that you do just in case you miss something. Most of the top players are recruited heavily throughout the year.

Jun 8, 2016
Do the girls/parents hang out? Does everyone go their separate ways until the next game? Any team/family activities between tournaments? Etc.
What is the right answer to these questions because I know what they would be for me.. :LOL:

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
What is the right answer to these questions because I know what they would be for me.. :LOL:

It's definitely different for everyone! We tend to be social people so (for the most part) enjoy hanging around other parents in between games. Also gives me an outlet to talk softball with other parents. DW gets sick of hearing me talk about it - haha.

The "team" activities don't need to be a mandatory thing. But more so that the team is trying to create comradery and bonding. Time and time again I've seen that be a reason (among others) why a team is successful.

All in all the questions are mainly to feel out how well the girls gets along. Do they like to hang out together or do they not like each other and go their own way.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
This is kind of funny to me. If I asked that and they said they did lots of activities on our free time, I would not play for that team. Lol.

I guess I'm too cheap, enjoy my privacy to much, and don't enjoy watching people drink themselves 'stoopid' all that much.

Haha - Doesn't need to be a lot. But, it's more like......does the team get together for a pool party or bbq now and again. Or do a group of parents/kids go get food together between games (time allowing). I'm cognizant of my money as well, so I'm not talking about doing crazy team vacation.

During DD's school ball season the girls would go get meals together (almost entire team) when playing tournaments. Whether it was getting parents to take them to a restaurant or just eating ball park food together. If going to a restaurant the parents would all sit at a table and hang out while the girls all ate together. It was fun and they enjoyed it. They truly enjoyed hanging out with each other. That's all those questions are trying to figure out.

But, to your point, if you aren't into hanging out with team parents or spending the money on additional activities.....it's good to get that figured out before committing!

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
#1. Public "cattle call" tryouts are typically looking for one or two players that fit the needs of the team. Most of the remainder of the team is already put together. Yes your DD is at a disadvantage there. A lot of older competitive teams (16u/18u) won't even do tryouts. The team will be filled from personal contact and private tryouts.

#2. It's often difficult to judge one kid (and many others) watching them for an hour or two. Sometimes a kid has a bad day or plays above their normal pay grade. So, attending a second tryout doesn't necessarily mean no, it means the coaches just want to make sure their evaluation is correct. I've seen teams take kids that had great tryouts but, in general, don't play to that level.

#3. Again, if you want to make the team, the more your kid is seen the better chances they have. So what, you may not be their #1 pick, but you may still make the team.

I only know of one instance where an offer was rescinded because other kids accepted. It happens, but in my experience is rare.

Most of the upper level competitive teams reach out well in advance of tryouts. It helps to network because there are so many talented kids that sometimes the one that gets the spot is the one that has networked. Definitely watch the coaches during games. DD played for a verbally abusive coach. The team was very talented, but it was the team everyone loved to hate. (ie not the team you want your dd on)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
They can get together fine on the field and off and still go their own way...

Agreed. Not saying it has to be an absolute. I guess the alternative could be "Coach, do your players all get along or do you deal with a lot of kid/parent drama?" Interesting to see if you'd get an honest answer.

Again, DD and us tend to be on the social side. So if we know parents get along and people hang out together....it's a plus. But definitely not a deal breaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1