a couple observations from tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2019
I've only gone through the process with DD1 and DD2 a couple seasons, but I think I've made a few observations. Let me know if you agree/disagree.

1. If you wait until the first publicly scheduled tryout date, you put your DD at a big disadvantage. At least a dozen girls will already have reached out to the coach prior and a number of available slots will already have been taken.

2. If they like your DD, an offer will be made on the spot. "We'll be in touch" and "Why do you have her come by another day" can be considered rejections.

3. If multiple tryout sessions are scheduled and you didn't reach out to the coach earlier, definitely don't wait for the last day. The team will already have extended offers for available slots by then and the event is a formality in case outstanding offers are turned down.

Also, not so much an observation, but a question. How many of you have had an offers to DD rescinded because you took too long to accept (for example, needed time to think about it, wanted to tryout for another team before making a decision, etc.).

Aug 10, 2020
I agree with MN Dad, 1 and 3 are right. For 2, there could be a number of reasons they say that, including that they really do want to see her again or that they want your daughter to be seen by a specific coach, etc.

Sep 3, 2015
I think the public tryouts are more for fillers, and of course there are exceptions.

Agree with #1 and #3, and have never had an offer rescinded, I’ve always set a deadline when talking to the coach to make it fair for both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I agree with MN Dad, 1 and 3 are right. For 2, there could be a number of reasons they say that, including that they really do want to see her again or that they want your daughter to be seen by a specific coach, etc.

If it's a higher level team, maybe. If it's a regular tournament team, it's BS. You're either good enough at that first tryout or you're simply being strung along in case their first choices don't work out.

I don't miss that at all...been many years since we had to worry about it. Being on a team with some continuity made this whole trip so much more enjoyable. In fact, we never did a structured cattle-car tryout. A known quantity was simply asked to join. Unknowns were invited to a practice and/or pick up during a tournament. It didn't take long to figure out if someone could play and if they would fit.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Agree with #1 and #3.
#2 - DD made her 1st travel team at 1st year 10U after 3 callbacks. She was the last one offered. Maybe she was lucky. YMMV

Back to #1. We are in that situation right now. Over 4 years we have learned not to wait. We are reaching out to teams on FB and thru friends to come practice with them now, way before cattle calls start. Have not had a "NO" yet, but it will probably happen eventually. Also had really good feedback so far. It helps to get your foot in the door before teams even go to their nationals.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD will start her first circuit of tryouts since starting competitive ball three years ago. We tried to get into a couple other team practices but could never make it work. Either her team was playing/practicing, she had fill in, or she was hurt.

We’ve targeted 4-5 teams. Four of which have reached out to us (her) directly to make sure we attend their tryouts. The fifth has a good friend of hers who’s parents saw a lot of her in Spring (school ball). For us it will boil down to culture and which will allow her to be challenged and grow. DD pitches so we are wanting to find a team that will allow her an opportunity to compete for circle time.

I’d agree with #1 and #3 for the most part. #2 is likely a case by case in terms of the organization. DD’s first organization took 2+ weeks to get back to any of the girls. It was nuts.

Will be interesting to revisit this thread once we’re done going through the process again.

May 29, 2015
Let me flip this around a little, just for the sake of conversation ...

Parents, when you go to try outs (or see a team play that you think you want your daughter on) ... are you paying attention and also making the coaches tryout for your daughter? What are you looking for?

I remember taking my daughter to a few tryouts that both she and I walked away from saying "No way." Not only was she trying out for them, but we were watching the coaches. How organized were they? What did their "tryout" consist of? How did they interact with the girls who were already on their team and those who were not? How did the girls already on the team interact with the ones who were not (or did they)?

Aug 3, 2016
With #2 your daughter made the team but the coach is hoping that somebody better will show up to the next scheduled tryout. If it's the second tryout #2 means they are waiting to hear back from a player they already offered at the 1st tryout and they are trying to bide some more time.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Let me flip this around a little, just for the sake of conversation.....

Parents, when you go to try outs (or see a team play that you think you want your daughter on) ... are you paying attention and also making the coaches tryout for your daughter? What are you looking for?

I remember taking my daughter to a few tryouts that both she and I walked away from saying "No way." Not only was she trying out for them, but we were watching the coaches. How organized were they? What did their "tryout" consist of? How did they interact with the girls who were already on their team and those who were not? How did the girls already on the team interact with the ones who were not (or did they)?

This will be a big piece for us. I've done a lot of asking around about coaches and team cultures the past couple of weeks. Even asking what the team does/doesn't do between tournament games. Do the girls/parents hang out? Does everyone go their separate ways until the next game? Any team/family activities between tournaments? Etc.

An example of a "no way" for us (and we didn't even attend their tryout) was a team who has approached us multiple times for DD to come play with them. The HC, while a nice guy off the field, doesn't represent the game (in our opinion) or the team well. A lot of yelling, perceived intimidating of umpires, a lot of gaming the game, and often getting into verbal altercations with opposing coaches. DD's team has played them quite a bit and even she has expressed she doesn't want to play for them. Which is unfortunate because they are a good team with a good group of girls and the other coaches are great.