9 year Old Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2013
This is why I always shy away from pitch speed discussions, cause the next thing you know your dealing with 6+foot ten year olds and 6'2 11 year olds. Not doubting it but wow, just wow.

I kind of raised my eyebrows too. DD was always very tall for her age and was about 5'9 when she was 11. She reached 6' atl 13 and at 16 now she's 6'3". I'm sure there's plenty of girls who bloomed earlier than her, but multiple girls in the same leage over 6' at 10? No way.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Anyone have any experience in how much faster an 8 year old can throw a 10" from 30' compared to a 11" a from 35'? I pulled out a 10" and tried to pitch it after being used to the 11' and I threw the darn thing up at a 45 degree angle. I'm thinking at least an additional 3 MPH.

The #1 pitcher from Los Alamitos 8U All-Stars was throwing 48-50 (on radar, 10" ball @ 30') last Summer. We saw a couple other 8U pitchers during the All-Star season that were not far behind. Those girls are out there.

At the 10U pitcher evals for our league last weekend, we had a 9yo and a 10yo each hit 44 (on radar), with others at 42-43. These girls will get faster as we head into the Spring season.

I do agree that using a stopwatch to calculate velocity is prone to a LOT of error.

Jan 22, 2014
Sweeny, Tx
jlob and RazorWeasel-

don't be scared off!! just come correct....this is the best place for any father of a pitcher to get/share information. You can always count on getting the good, the bad and the ugly truth here.

I won't be scared off, I don't wear my feeling on my sleeve. This make for good conversation, I knew I would get the good, the bad and the ugly here. I promise I will be posting videos soon to hush all the non-believers. I guess alot of you guys here would be shocked to see some of these girls around here. Keep in mind when I say alot of big girls in our age group we are talking about a very large area we play in. We play teams from all over the greater Houston area, San Antoinio area and down around Brownsville. Just the greater Houston area alone probbaly has more girls than most other areas in the US. Like I said we are fixing to start back up on Feb. 7th tournament and I will take pics and videos to show.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Anyone have any experience in how much faster an 8 year old can throw a 10" from 30' compared to a 11" a from 35'? I pulled out a 10" and tried to pitch it after being used to the 11' and I threw the darn thing up at a 45 degree angle. I'm thinking at least an additional 3 MPH.

I don't have any direct data to draw a definitive conclusion. Logically, there would be a drop in speed of the ball across the plate due to the extra distance and larger ball size - assuming the same kid at the same age. In reality, however, the larger ball and longer distance also comes with the pitcher growing in size and strength, and the loss of velocity gets made up pretty quickly.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have a 10 YO student with 6 mo. experience. Unfortunately her team moved to 12U. She dropped s good 5mph and is stuck at 35, right now. She pitched 2 innings at 14U, last weekend and she was so slow, that she was very successful. :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I won't be scared off, I don't wear my feeling on my sleeve. This make for good conversation, I knew I would get the good, the bad and the ugly here. I promise I will be posting videos soon to hush all the non-believers. I guess alot of you guys here would be shocked to see some of these girls around here. Keep in mind when I say alot of big girls in our age group we are talking about a very large area we play in. We play teams from all over the greater Houston area, San Antoinio area and down around Brownsville. Just the greater Houston area alone probbaly has more girls than most other areas in the US. Like I said we are fixing to start back up on Feb. 7th tournament and I will take pics and videos to show.

There you go with the Houston thing again :), I am sure Houston has a great fastpitch scene, but it is not like I am tuning in by ham radio from Iceland here. I am typing from the sunny confines of Northern San Diego county in sunny Southern California. Throw a stick out here and you will hit a Batbuster an Angel or an Athletic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd