9 o'clock drill feedback: True whip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
My DD is 11 and going into first yr 12u and a little over 2 yrs of pitching at TB. In 10u her FB was above average and her CU was inconsistent but she still threw it a lot with plenty of success. Her CU would float and she got away with it due to her FB being fast enough to rush batters.

We visited knightsb and he quickly pointed out that she was losing a lot of speed by internally rotating her arm outside of her hip and turning her shoulder into the throw so she was not coming across her body. She was getting some benefit of IR and speed but she was muscling through any chance of a whip and coming out front with the release. So we are working on back-chaining the throw and getting a strong hold on it before taking a few breaks this winter (the drive will be a spring focus when she goes full motion).
After 1 month working full time on this the positives are that when she is throwing to me she can definitely snap a whiffle and the most notable difference is when she has tried a CU it is much faster at the correct speed and more rotation.

I would like some better trained eyes to tell us how close that she is to getting it right? My thought is that she nearly has it but she is still tightening her arm at the bottom of the circle and carrying it thru the whip (her finish looks forced). She needs to loosen the arm and practice throwing it at the ground and then work into the whip. Also is the posture causing whip problems or is there a throwing problem causing the posture issue?

https://youtu.be/A7aSXKBDRe4

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The pitch at 2:40 is my favorite! Shoot for no gap between the thigh and hand at release. Pull the knees tgother at release. Work towards unlocking the feet and legs and let them do what's natural. Nice work and so glad you're able to work with Jeff--you're in good hands!

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
She looks pretty good. I would turn the right foot 45 degrees for this drill...try to get her toes pointed more forward. I think it keeps the hips more in line for good brush. When I first saw the post heading, my first thought was exactly what you commented on...I think it is hard mentally to be loose when you are trying to throw hard. Just counter-intuitive I think for most (throw hard = muscle up??)...makes me worry that it is often an unrecognized barrier to creating whip. But...since you recognize it...
You're on a good path with good instruction, be patient, keep her relaxed and engaged...help her understand the concepts.

Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the tips and comments. She has come a long way in a short time of getting and understanding brush so I wanted to make double-sure it was right before she continues back-chaining to put this into a full pitch!!

Perfect Circle- Ha ha and for the record she has made that hitting adjustment really quickly!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32