8U DD Won't Keep Her Eyes On The Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Threw a couple of pictures up on my profile. I'm not terribly computer savvy, so it took me a while. If you want to check it out, feel welcome. .

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The girl that I mentioned that is similar, is also a brainiac. I have to speak with her as an adult, but then keep saying "her body is a 9YO." She was just elected student body treasurer.

I hope your DD is doing swimming or some other activities, too. That will help put softball in it's rightful place.

May 1, 2011
She knows that school is first. Bad grades = no softball. She's in the GT program at school, and there hasn't been anything on her report card below a 97 all year long. Jessica Mendoza said last night on ESPN that "sometimes, you just have to turn your brain off to play this game." She was sitting right there next to me when she said that, and I asked her if she knew what Mendoza was talking about. She said "I gotta quit thinkin' so much." Yep. As far as other activities, her sister plays as well. We are homework, field, home as of right now. On their off days, we do all kinds of crazy stuff and we spend tons of time with family. I know all about that adult conversation with a child though. Some of the words that come out of her mouth blow me away. My wife made a one pot meal the other night, and this 8 year old says "mom, this is great. Did you use a recipe, or just shoot from the hip." HUH? Who taught her that, cause I know I didn't.

May 1, 2011
Take a look at those pictures I've got, and you'll see she doesn't actually do a terrible job at that for an 8 year old. Funny thing is that these pictures are actually before she started private lessons.

Oct 25, 2009
Take a look at those pictures I've got, and you'll see she doesn't actually do a terrible job at that for an 8 year old. Funny thing is that these pictures are actually before she started private lessons.

I had a kid tell me once, "I used to could hit until I learned how."

May 31, 2009
The Ultimate Hitting Machine (Beebe Sports Inc.) is a really good product for kids to use to practice hitting a moving ball. Kind of like self toss, only the machine tosses the ball up. You can adjust it for a higher toss and have them hit the ball when it comes back down into strike zone, or adjust it for a lower toss (for more advanced kids), so kids can develop a quick swing, by swinging quick before ball starts back down. Kids love this machine and seem to never get tired of hitting off it.

May 1, 2011
@ softballphreak - Used To Could...must have been a kid from my neck of the woods. What part of Texas you from? Ha!!

May 1, 2011
@SBdad - I have one of those Swing Aways. But, my daughter's hitting coach told me to shelf it until her swing is exactly where it needs to be. Considering there are professional baseball players that are constantly working on their swings, I think I might want to take the thing back!!! Plus, with all the driving/private lessons/team dues we're paying, the last thing I want to do right now is SPEND MORE MONEY!!! OMG, I had no clue. And I've heard it just gets worse. Sounds like I'm going to have to find a second job just to pay for this stuff, and I'll be so busy, I won't be able to watch them play the very thing I'm shelling out all this money for.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Lemme add I do feel your pain. Every season with the young ones I get one who watches me instead of the ball. I mean really really stares. I pitch them the ball, they swing, miss, I look at them, they are looking into my eyes and it's pretty startling the first time, and pretty darn funny too. To have eye contact immediately after a swing. Not saying your DD is doing it to that extent.

They really need to watch the ball more than that, OTOH I agree with the camp that says you basically lose sight of the pitch in the last 6 feet or whatever. Watch the bat hit the ball is an OK cue but I don't believe in it literally

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12