76 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Do you think she was taught to monkey butt, limit her brush to the tricep, land with her front foot at 90 degrees and bounce over her landing foot?

I also appreciate her unique solution. As an instructor I am always faced with decisions about what to change and what to allow. Pickens makes those decisions harder.

Isn't the "limited brush" the 1st thing most pitching coaches would address as a flaw? This seems the farthest from what is considered sound to fundamental pitching mechanics to me.

She seems on the other side of the spectrum from this brush/release point in the pic below.

1700593951968.png

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Isn't the "limited brush" the 1st thing most pitching coaches would address as a flaw? This seems the farthest from what is considered sound to fundamental pitching mechanics to me.
The monkey butt and the limited brush are related. If you're bent over with your butt out a little it's almost impossible to get your forearm to make contact with your hip or leg. I don't believe that brush is a 'cause', it's a sign of solid mechanics. I say this because when you throw overhand there is no brush and it doesn't have any effect on velocity or control.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I would agree with sluggers that if you take a kid who has never pitched, or at least has never had any direct instruction or general direction on the movement, they'll internally rotate.

Absolutely not. The number of new pitchers who will bowl the ball, almost forcing themselves to not internally rotate, is well over 90% from my experience. These are girls who have not had any pitching instruction. They're trying it for the first time. Some adjust quickly, but almost none of them internally rotate the arm.

It's a natural body movement, but for most, it's not instinctive.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The monkey butt and the limited brush are related. If you're bent over with your butt out a little it's almost impossible to get your forearm to make contact with your hip or leg. I don't believe that brush is a 'cause', it's a sign of solid mechanics. I say this because when you throw overhand there is no brush and it doesn't have any effect on velocity or control.
Interesting. I am going to have to think about this a bit. I thought proper brush "caused" the effect of control and improved velocity and thus that is why we call brush one of the keys to solid mechanics.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Interesting. I am going to have to think about this a bit. I thought proper brush "caused" the effect of control and improved velocity and thus that is why we call brush one of the keys to solid mechanics.
I think that the fact that the exact spot where the contact takes place is very vague (rib cage, hip, outer thigh) keeps it from being a causal factor, for both control and velocity. There some intuitive examples used to justify BI, one is the action of a whip. But a whip is not forcibly halted, just like when you throw overhand the upper arm is not impeded, the energy gets transferred as part of the process. The brick on the hood of a car is another example. Yes the brick flies off when you hit the brakes, but it doesn't accelerate. I am not anti BI, I tell my pitchers not to be concerned about it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear that I was speaking about the hop after releasing the pitch, like Pickens demonstrates in the clip. There seemed to be a negative view of that in this thread which surprised me. I'm in agreement that a hop after release is not a bad thing at all. It's simply a release of energy. At that point, what's done is done and it has no effect. FSR has worked it's magic already.
Might prevent injury, too!

Jul 15, 2019
I think that the fact that the exact spot where the contact takes place is very vague (rib cage, hip, outer thigh) keeps it from being a causal factor, for both control and velocity. There some intuitive examples used to justify BI, one is the action of a whip. But a whip is not forcibly halted, just like when you throw overhand the upper arm is not impeded, the energy gets transferred as part of the process. The brick on the hood of a car is another example. Yes the brick flies off when you hit the brakes, but it doesn't accelerate. I am not anti BI, I tell my pitchers not to be concerned about i
I think that the fact that the exact spot where the contact takes place is very vague (rib cage, hip, outer thigh) keeps it from being a causal factor, for both control and velocity. There some intuitive examples used to justify BI, one is the action of a whip. But a whip is not forcibly halted, just like when you throw overhand the upper arm is not impeded, the energy gets transferred as part of the process. The brick on the hood of a car is another example. Yes the brick flies off when you hit the brakes, but it doesn't accelerate. I am not anti BI, I tell my pitchers not to be concerned about it.
Attach an arm to the hood with a brick in the hand of the arm and then compare. All those pivot points make a world of difference when cracking the whip, giving the fingers much more energy than just stopping the car with a brick on it.
brick to an arm with half a dozen pivot points

Jul 15, 2019
What I’ve noticed on this topic is that, other than people arguing for argument’s sake, is that she(Pickens), starts out like someone who wants to throw fast. How fast can my arm go. Her arm’s speed straight out of her backswing is extremely fast, and only gets faster. Her lower body doesn’t appear to be able to keep up. Incredible to think, that if she could get to a proper posture at release, she would brush, and science(use of levers and pivots)says she would be even faster. Ridiculous speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01