7 “Pitchers” on team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2018
Coaching a 12U travel fast pitch team. 2 solid starters with great fundamentals/mechanics and change ups and one is working on another pitch or two. Both got grit and have performed well. Easy and obvious 1 and 2.

Then I have a 3rd who needs a lot of work over the winter but I definitely see the potential and hope she’ll fix a couple of her mechanics over the winter and be solid in spring/summer.

Then I have FOUR other “pitchers”. These are girls that all pitched off and on at rec ball. They want to pitch, but all their mechanics are SO bad they need to start over from scratch. All four of them are really awesome kids and say they want to pitch. They are not throwing strikes, are wildly inconsistent, lobbing the ball barely over the plate, but their parents keep at it that they want them to pitch.

I don’t want to hurt these girls feelings or even discourage them because who am I to tell them they can’t work and get better. As a coach and life long softball player/fan, I know that most likely these four girls do not have what it takes to put the amount of work in that they need to fix what is wrong and then the drive to work to push harder and more. I’m not saying they can’t do it, just that it is very unlikely as anyone who knows fast pitch pitching knows how much dedication, drive and work it takes to be successful. I would never tell them this but I have talked about the work and dedication it truly takes to become a pitcher at travel level.

The parents of these four girls keep reminding me that their daughters are also pitchers. I don’t know what to tell them at this point because I know they just don’t see it. I’ve thrown 3 of them randomly at scrimmage games/round robins and they all bombed and walked girls and hit girls, it was a major detriment to the team and hurt our vibe and score but it was a scrimmage game so I wanted them to have the opportunity to step up and show what they got. Their parents still seem oblivious to it and are asking to warm their daughters up too.

It is not possible to warm up 7 pitchers before a game. The parents don’t have gloves or offer to help with that either. Do I tell them to get a real pitching coach and start from scratch and once they at least have correct mechanics they can try again? I just don’t think it’s fair to the team to let them go out there in an actual tournament and bomb and put the team into such tough game deficits and situations.

I know as a coach I should be able to easily verbalize this to them, but I do care about the girls and while I have tried to help them, it’s just not there. I just can’t have a 7 pitcher rotation but the parents are just not getting it. They know that this is travel team and the rules were very clear that playing time and positions are earned, yet here I am getting emails asking for their kids to pitch in games or at least have them warm up before the game.

After another email, I need to address this because it’s weighing on me and it just keeps coming. Then they see one of the other bottom pitchers pitch and they want their kid too.

FYI, I have given basic drills and helps to have them get their basic mechanics changed and fixed and not one girl seems to have changed, gotten better or worked them. Main problem with all four, they bend over, all weight forward, no push/drive and all arm. I’ve spent time with them all, showed the player and parents the drills, but I’d easily bet they are not doing them or working them.

First of all, when the team was put together initially, 7 pitchers, even if they were competent, is too much. In this case, you really cannot be a nice guy. From reading your post, it sounds like part of the problem is that you are trying to accommodate these girls that are not pitchers. Statistics will show that 95% of the girls that pitch at 12 U never pitch a single inning in high school. Having said that, I think 1 of the things that you must do as a coach, is to temper the parents' expectations. Unless you have the expertise as a pitching coach, you should not be trying to develop these girls as pitchers. I think you need to have a team meeting and outline the dilemma in that you have 7 pitchers. You have to establish as a coach, a baseline for when a girl will be allowed to pitch. For instance, if a girl walks more than one an inning, then she should not be pitching in a competitive environment. You will find that you will lose more games than you win. One of the things I have learned throughout the years, is never tell a parent or a girl that they will not be a pitcher. You will be amazed at how many girls can actually develop if they want to. What I would suggest that you do is, after a team meeting, you have girls pitching at your practices. If they are walking more than getting out, then your practice becomes a complete waste. That is why you have to establish a baseline as to what the expectations will be. If the girls are throwing strikes, but she has mechanical difficulties, then she can be developed – or at the least not be in a position to hurt the team. But you have to stress that the team comes 1st and that it is a competitive pitching environment and the girls are expected to be able to get outs.

The other problem that I see is that girls are not willing to put the time and effort in. As a coach, this should be one of life's lessons in that not everyone gets the proverbial trophy. If a girl wants the pitch she has to be markedly and decidedly better than the other pitchers. So if you have two decent pitchers, then more likely than not, you will need a third pitcher to eat up garbage or meaningless innings. Have the competition amongst the remaining girls at practice for the coveted 3rd spot. If they are far behind and cannot throw strikes, then you cannot, even in pool play, pitch them. It is not fair to the other girls!

But the biggest thing you have to do as a coach is not be a people pleaser and clearly articulate what you expect of your pitchers. If they can do X, Y, and Z, then they will be the 3rd pitcher. If they cannot, they have to develop on their own. It cannot be within your province to develop girls. That just takes away from the rest of the team.

I might add that this is one very important life lesson that we teach our youngsters. You give these girls an objective standard to try and achieve. If they are able to achieve that, such as throwing more than 60% of their pictures for strikes, then they will slide into the 3rd or 4th spot. If they cannot, do not close the door on that possibility. Let the parents know that they need to develop and need much more practice. If you are you hundred that is clearly articulated to the parents as well as the players, then there should be no problem. At this age level, and especially in rec ball, all parents think their daughters are going to be the next Jenny Finch. Good luck to you and keep encouraging the girls to play hard!

Jun 12, 2019
As the parent of a young pitcher (13.5 yo), the attitude of the parents of your other "pitchers" is extremely frustrating. Being a pitcher, as you clearly understand, requires a lot of additional work and dedication (not to mention mental fortitude). You can't just show up to games and think it's going to happen. I've run into this mindset in Rec Ball and TB and the parents seem shocked when their kid walks the first three batters on 12 pitches.

At 12U, especially if you are second year 12U, it is not fair to the team to put girls out there who cannot at least throw strikes consistently. Even that is not really enough, but that is the bare minimum. The pitcher has to give your team a chance to win the game--or at least compete--and that is impossible if they are giving up multiple free passes an inning.

As suggested above, the answer is simple, but probably not easy as it will involve uncomfortable conversations. You will have enough work for three pitchers and I think having a fourth "pitcher" (really a position player who can come in and throw strikes in an emergency or to mop up) is not a bad idea. Definitely won't be enough work for 7 pitchers. If these parents want their daughters to pitch, they need to do the work and win the job from one of the top three. If not, they need to find a different team if they really want to pitch. My DD was in something of a similar situation in TB and I didn't need any coach to tell me what we needed to do. I saw it with my own eyes. We did the work, got better than most of what the team had, and earned our spot in the starting rotation of pitchers. I have some sympathy for the girls because they are only 11 or 12 and don't really understand it, but I have zero for the parents.
You need to be polite yet firm in your discussion with the parents. I coach a 14u club usssa b/c squad and our general run is no pitching coach, limited pitching time. The reason for the pitching coach rule is simple. At 12u there becomes a separation based on player ability and effort and it is noticable. The girls that can hit their spots, execute their pitches and have the mental toughness to be a pitcher have already seen a pitching coach. My daughter is one of our pitchers and she sees a coach. I spend a tremendous amount of time work with her to hone the skills she learns from someone that is qualified to teach her. Also, you mentioned the work ethic and that you didn't feel these other girls had it. We as coaches can teach many things but we cant teach drive and desire. If they are not willing to work hard for it, harder than the best pitchers tou have then they haven't earned it. You're only being a bad coach if you string them along and appease the parents. Nobody wins in that situation. Good luck!

Apr 28, 2014
I've been pretty honest on here about my DD. At 11 her travel coach told her point blank, you're not good enough to pitch for us. That lit a fire in her and she was determined to get better. We (wife and I) thought it would never happen as the other 5 pitchers on the team were so much better than her.
5 years later (this past weekend) DD committed to a D1 program top 75 team in the nation (her dream school) as a pitcher and the other 5 pitchers from her 12u team? 4 quit the game completely and the last one is DD's back up in HS.
Be honest with them and if they want it bad enough they will work for it.

Sep 10, 2019
Maybe say that anyone who is interested in pitching must be in weekly lessons? Sounds like some of them won't want to invest the time/$.
So true! I was looking for dedication before investing time/$$, but was wondering if the investment in lessons could help elevate the interest to the next level? I guess there’s one way to find out. Our progress is slow.

Apr 28, 2014
So true! I was looking for dedication before investing time/$$, but was wondering if the investment in lessons could help elevate the interest to the next level? I guess there’s one way to find out. Our progress is slow.

Slow progress is much better than no progress! Google "The path to mastery". The chart says it all. Be sure to have your DD takes written notes at pitching practice. Then practice what she's learned with her coach the very next day with you our her catcher. Have her set goals, start her with a professional trainer to help her get stronger. Add sprints to her workouts. Have her run distance 3 times per week. DD fought with me about running a half mile less than a year ago. Today she runs 3 miles per day 3-4 days per week.
If they want it bad enough they will do what it takes.
Pitching isn't pretty or easy, it's dirty hard work, often done in the dark, when everyone else has given up.

May 9, 2019
Pitching isn't pretty or easy, it's dirty hard work, often done in the dark, when everyone else has given up.

Oh so true. But if I may rearrange the words a bit... Pitching IS pretty and LOOKS easy. But reality is that it is hard and definitely dirty work and often done in the dark while others are resting and HOPING things somehow just click...

Whenever my DD asks me why we are practicing even after a game I tell her simply because nobody else is but you! And that's where the good ones distance themseleves from the great ones!

Sep 10, 2019
Slow progress is much better than no progress! Google "The path to mastery". The chart says it all. Be sure to have your DD takes written notes at pitching practice. Then practice what she's learned with her coach the very next day with you our her catcher. Have her set goals, start her with a professional trainer to help her get stronger. Add sprints to her workouts. Have her run distance 3 times per week. DD fought with me about running a half mile less than a year ago. Today she runs 3 miles per day 3-4 days per week.
If they want it bad enough they will do what it takes.
Actually, I have found pitching to be pretty easy, elegant, interesting, and somewhat fun, from my personal trials with it, so far. I just got tired of coaches who don’t actually know how pitch, give advice on pitching. But the goals and note taking, for kids, sounds very useful.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yeah this is also a parents expectation thing...any parent that comes to me and says "My Suzie isn't playing but Jane plays and Suzie is better than Jane here look at the GC numbers" will get a polite but quick..."we are not discussing playing time please refer to your parent handout you got at the start of the season." Now you come tome and say "at the beginning of the season we really hoped Suzie would be playing more, what areas do you think Suzie can improve on to earn more playing time", I will gladly talk your ear off and I'll also gladly work with Suzie and you make those needed improvements.

I always love these... "Yeah, she has good numbers, because she only plays against the weakest teams". I once had a father of a pitcher approach me wondering why his DD wasn't pitching much (She threw meatballs down the middle and as much as we tried, she wouldn't change) I told the HC about the exchange... and he started her the next game, she didn't make it out of the 1st inning...sometimes the rosecolored glasses need to come off.

Apr 28, 2014
I always love these... "Yeah, she has good numbers, because she only plays against the weakest teams". I once had a father of a pitcher approach me wondering why his DD wasn't pitching much (She threw meatballs down the middle and as much as we tried, she wouldn't change) I told the HC about the exchange... and he started her the next game, she didn't make it out of the 1st inning...sometimes the rosecolored glasses need to come off.

And there actually is nothing wrong with that.
Sometimes getting a kid shelled at a young age can demonstrate to the parents that they dont have it.
When DD was 14 we took her to tryout at her current organization. That day we saw another older 14 year old who is now committed to an SEC school. That kid was throwing 64-65 at 14.. at that very moment we gained perspective. We knew then that DD wasn't gonna pitch for Florida. But she would still go on to achieve her dreams.
Some kids and parents never gain that perspective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom