7 “Pitchers” on team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
We had a kid on our 12U team who had never pitched. She took a few lessons that her dad won in a silent auction. She aged out and moved the following year. 5 years later she signed to be a D1 Pitcher.

May 9, 2019
We had a kid on our 12U team who had never pitched. She took a few lessons that her dad won in a silent auction. She aged out and moved the following year. 5 years later she signed to be a D1 Pitcher.

I'm sure there are many stories like this.
Honestly, it really doesn't matter how many years you been pitching. It really depends on what you are doing during that time to get better.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Yup, same with school, scouts, or anything else. Gotta be involved as a parent. Can't just throw money at it and expect it to turn out ok.
Heartily second this. I am a bucket dad and I am no pitching coach, but I have invested a tremendous amount of time and energy over the last 4 years learning about pitching to help my daughter progress. I certainly have learned from many and occasionally seek professional help when I think we need it (e.g., troubleshooting, learning a new pitch), but I am her primary pitching coach for better or worse. Maybe she would be further along if I was spending $300-400/mo on pitching lessons (not something I could afford anyway), but she is progressing pretty well considering.

I see many parents in our affluent area paying for weekly pitching and batting lessons but often see no translation to actual performance or even obvious progress. The parents are essentially throwing money down a hole (or being robbed blind) because they haven't invested any time into figuring out whether what their DD is being taught is worth a s%$# or into working consistently with their DD in the week's other 167 hours to reinforce anything being "learned" in the lesson.

May 9, 2019
Yup exactly. In fact,
I know some girls who take pitching lessons weekly and couldn't pitch it over the plate
the entire inning. It really depends on the work the player is willing to put into it. Goes for any learned skill.

I personally ask my DD about every two weeks, "do you still want to keep pitching?"
I just want to be sure that she truly wants to keep doing this, not for me or some other superficial reason, but because she actually
loves it, and wants to stay engaged in it. Parents need to be in tune.

Jul 16, 2018
read the OP havent read any of the replies.

1. Set the expectation with the parents separately from the girls. They need to work on it more and you need there help.
2. Talk with the girls individually and see how much they even want to do. If they want to pitch more let them know whats expected.
3. Dont be one of those coaches who cares what your 12 U win loss record looks like and pitch those girls in pool play (and intra squad and/or friendlies or whatever it is you do to get reps other than practice)

DD's daughter has 11 girls and at least 8-9 of them pitch. Some are alot better than others and we have a pretty good rotation of 4 girls right now and the others are getting spot innings here and there.

For practices we say pitchers/catchers come 30 minutes early but thats literally the whole team. We have 3 catchers who rotate with pitchers and 1 of them also pitches so she works in. Our parents help catch the girls without catchers. Pitchers are working with an outside coach outside of practice as well.

As far as Im concerned - the more pitchers the better. But to simply leave it as "Well this girl throws strikes" and be done it is absurd and does the sport a true disservice

Apr 8, 2016
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. You’ve been a big help in regards to putting my thoughts in writing. Very much appreciated.

Sep 29, 2014
Sounds like you got what you needed...simply tough love time. You have to put in the work and earn a spot, hopefully they are good position players otherwise.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
So you have kids that want to pitch but their mechanics suck and they can barely lob a ball over the plate yet their parents fee they are good enough for travel ball?

I don’t know what part of the country you’re from and what travel/rec options the parents have. If they have no option then as most have responded they need to work hard and earn a spot

If they have option of rec then bluntly the parents need to shut the hell up and deal with NO PiTCHING time. Sounds like parents that want the cake and eat it too... stay in rec, learn to pitch, get better and THEN go travel.. or go brag how your kid is a great travel kid and stop asking coaches to put her in a position she hasn’t gained the skills in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I think everyone appreciates honesty (the appreciation may come at a later time, lol).

Judging by the fact that the parents think it is ok to contact you to discuss pitching time for their daughters who can't pitch, I think maybe they just do not understand the whole process (did they come to travel recently from rec?). Maybe they do not understand pitching is not like other positions that a girl can just be rotated into during a game for experience.

It also kind of sounds like you didn't properly communicate up front to the parents how this travel team would be run as far as positions and playing time. I personally have 0 tolerance for parents who think they can badger me about their daughters playing time at any potion, much less pitching.

Clear expectations up front. Honesty is always the best policy. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood