6-4-3 Charts. Does what you think happens really happen?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I invite you to check out 6-4-3 Charts on Twitter.

DD’s 10 u coach who was 70something year old engineer was the best coach either of my daughters ever had. One of the many smart things he said/did:

“Stats help me to know if what I think is happening is really what is happening.”

He kept two groups of stats: player stats in games decided by (7?) runs or more, which he did not consider competit I’ve. He also kept a group of stats of games decided by less runs, which he considered competitive. He set his lineup off of the latter.

He demanded accurate scoring and the scorer had to be close enough for him to call errors etc.

So- without stats, are you just guessing?

You may be guessing right. You might not. Even a stopped clock is right twice per day.

That’s the post!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Did you ever ask him how close his perception was to reality?
Really good question! He was pretty close. I know this not because I asked him but because he would go a few weekends into the season with a lineup he devised without stats and then would adjust.

There is always a surprise.

I think his “pre stat” accuracy had a lot to do with running really good practices where he got to see a lot of hitting reps. He also was very experienced.

Aug 8, 2016
I couldn't agree more. I do the exact same thing. I have various spreadsheets with the non-competitive teams filtered out. I also use game video extensively. I like to limit my guessing. It is amazing how wrong I and others have been regarding something that happens in a game.

Jun 11, 2013
I think it makes a lot of sense. I don't think the 7+ rule makes sense as you might just have a good or bad game against a good team. I always wish game changer would at least allow you to rate the team you are playing so you could sort out some bad teams. For most players stats pretty much mirror what you think you are seeing. There is the occasional player that has a few big hits over a weekend and you think they had a great weekend until you really look at the stats while another seemed to do nothing until you realize they were on base all weekend, just with nothing that jumped out in your mind.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I wish electronic scoring had a simple button for good contact... Knowing who on the team is seeing the ball well and hitting hard is a valuable metric to me. A high average over a game because of weak duck farts clouds the situation

Oct 14, 2019
I wish electronic scoring had a simple button for good contact... Knowing who on the team is seeing the ball well and hitting hard is a valuable metric to me. A high average over a game because of weak duck farts clouds the situation
Gamechanger uses line drive and hard ground ball to create a hard hit ball stat (as opposed to ground balls, pop ups and fly balls). Very subjective of course, and subject to the whims of the scorer. And some fly balls are hit pretty hard.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Oct 14, 2019
It’s in the advanced stats. Just go into Gamechanger for your team and click Stats. Then click Advanced. It also tracks QAB (quality at bat). It tracks pretty closely with the eye test. I track it because DD pitches and throws mostly drop balls.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06