5 Best Softball Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I could be wrong but I think Auburn won about the same number of games last year. Imo they don't have a enough pitching to win it all.

I guess it depends upon how you define "about the same number of games."

Auburn went 30-23 overall and 7-17 in SEC conference play last year. They didn't make it into either the SEC tournament or the NCAA tournament.

They went 39-17-1 overall and 11-13 in SEC conference play this year, made it into the SEC tournament (got knocked out by Alabama 8-4 in a "slugfest") and will probably make it into the NCAA tournament this year. I completely agree with you that they don't have the pitching to win it all, but IMO they're definitely on an upward path.

Even though they don't have all the pieces yet, I'm sure he'll be looking to pick up pitching and speed, and honestly, I'd expect some hot prospects to give Auburn a fresh look given the change in staff.

Jan 24, 2011
Regardless of what some around here think , the elite college coaches do make players better. Yes , the are highly recruited and very talented , but most are not completely polished players (there are exceptions).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I guess it depends upon how you define "about the same number of games."

Auburn went 30-23 overall and 7-17 in SEC conference play last year. They didn't make it into either the SEC tournament or the NCAA tournament.

They went 39-17-1 overall and 11-13 in SEC conference play this year, made it into the SEC tournament (got knocked out by Alabama 8-4 in a "slugfest") and will probably make it into the NCAA tournament this year. I completely agree with you that they don't have the pitching to win it all, but IMO they're definitely on an upward path.

Even though they don't have all the pieces yet, I'm sure he'll be looking to pick up pitching and speed, and honestly, I'd expect some hot prospects to give Auburn a fresh look given the change in staff.

That's not coaching. That's God showing his bias toward Auburn again. Did you see the endings to the Georgia and Alabama football games?

Jan 25, 2011
Not Pat Murphy? good, sorry Bama fans, I can't stand whiners. And boy is he whiner. I like the players on the team, but can't stand him.

Mar 26, 2013
They put too much emphasis on career achievements for selecting the best current coaches. I say look at the last 5-10 years and coaches that have been successful with different pitchers.

In alphabetical order: Patty Gasso (OK), Pat Murphy (AL), Clint Myers (Aub/ASU), Weeklys (TN), Mike White (OR)
Honorable mention: Mike Candrea (AZ), Carol Hutchins (MI)

Jan 25, 2011
Speaking of whiners, how about Mizzou's Early-whine?
Little patty just got done whining because The j train just got hit with a pitch. Well what do expect when your elbow is in the strike zone? Murphy just needs to realize the softball world doesn't revolve around him.

May 23, 2014
Pasadena,Tx
Fine coaches, but I said to myself as I clicked on the topic, "It may well be that the best current softball coach is completely unknown nationally, because he or she is toiling away developing young girls in a local program somewhere."

I think Clint Myers has made a case for himself with his rapid turnaround of the Auburn program. He took all those players he hadn't recruited and made them into a contender team with stellar defense and a big hitting offense.

JMHO.

Clint Myers is a great coach. I played basebal at Central Arizona College before he went to ASU and he by far was the best coach I have ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877