41 to 0

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Great, some of you would rather lose 41-0 than to have runners for the other team leave early. I'm sure the pitcher appreciates your approach. With a score of 41-0, I wonder how long you would leave a young lady standing in that circle? I'm telling my team to step off early. I'm not asking them to hit from the other side, bunt, strike out on purpose, ... You can have runners step off without it being obvious.

We had a high school team last year drop us after a game where we beat them 18-0. I had my girls leave early and I had a talk with the umpires about leaving early. The umpires and the head coach, at that time thanked me. This team was rolling over its opponents and wanted to step up a level and play us. They weren't ready. What I don't understand is the coach thanking us for doing it during the game and then calling my AD to complain the next day and dropping us the next day. BTW, they beat a team really badly about a week later. I guess they didn't "leave early" against a team from a school half their size.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We had an instance like this in 2010 (14u). A local 10U did a fundraiser tourney so of coarse we entered to show our support. Had a pretty good pool of teams from AR, MS and TN. But there was also a "church" team that entered. I watched every team in pools run rule them, pretty mean.

So we got 1st seed and of coarse they got last so we played them the first game in brackets. I wanted these girls to have "some fun", so I pitched my #8 pitcher, really just someone who is slow and could throw down the middle. I moved all my players into positions they never play, and put my LH DD on SS. ( pretty funny watching her trying to play the throw down and tag runners )

After the coin toss I walked the other coach back to the dugouts and explained what I was doing, I wanted them to play a complete game, get some hits, and make some plays. They deserved that much. It was a fun game from both sides, we had quite a few errors, and they scored some of the only runs of their weekend, and the girls made some new friends.

Acts of kindness don't happen very often from me, but to see the players eyes hitting and scoring, and their fans cheering them on really felt good. It worked perfectly.

Apr 26, 2012
I already started a thread a few months ago about our league so I won't rehash everything. We coached the leftover kids in 10-u after a couple teams were hand picked. A couple weeks ago we were playing a double header. First game the team wasn't great but it was just walk after walk for our pitcher. It wound up being 26-4 because we were the home team and batted last. I guess they thought we could score 3 touchdowns in the fourth inning or something. The second game we played the stacked team. We were visitors so we were run ruled after the 3rd, 15-0. The parents of this team were pissed that they couldn't score 26 like the previous game. Some people need to get a life.

Oct 19, 2009
I agree. I do those items first before I have the girls leave early. I had a girl bunt with the sacks juiced and he catcher fielded the ball and tossed it into no man's land. Then the other team's parents slammed me for running up the score when I gave them an out on a silver platter.
The coach knew what I was trying to do, though and said he'd talk to his parents.

Been in games where opposing pitcher can't get it across the plate or even close. In that situation none of that stuff works so you really do have to leave early or the inning will never end. Done it several times over the years and never had anything but thanks from other teams. Also have never let our team get past the teens when routing opponent. Secure the run rule and call off the dogs.

Jan 31, 2011
41-0. Wow

A "Tool" and his team will soon be parted.

Wait till he plays real competition. What a jerk.

Jun 21, 2010
Been away since I started this thread.

To answer a question, no this was not our team ( 41 runs ). We did play them a week ago and beat them 13-0. Then in this tounament, they beat us.

As for being in the wrong tournament, The "0" team lost some girls and picked up 11 and 12 yo's. But the rest of the team just didn't have the talent to compete. They did hang in there against another team and folks who weren't connected to them cheered for them when they did well.

Something else about the "41" team. They were telling someone in the bleachers, while one of our parents was sitting nearby, that they handled us very well in a previous tournament--uh...13-0, we win isn't what I would call being handled! From the top down I would say.

At 41-0, one or both of those teams are in the wrong tournament.

Jun 27, 2012
I played just such a team tonight and had this very discussion with the coach following the game. He says to me that he will never teach his girls to "lay down"...how about just laying off! A coaches job is to build confidence in athletes, whether they are his or not! The Wheatland Spikes team in Illinois is an embarrasment to the game of fastpitch! Ask any GOOD coach and they will tell you the same...keep a respectable lead and allow the other team to make the outs. Don't be pricks!

Jun 27, 2012
Normally they are very respectable, but even after trying to have a conversation with this coach afterwards it became a shouting match. He didn't even understand the point I was trying to make. I coach a very young 18u team that consists of 18 girls that love softball and are a true B level team. We know we are not the strongest team but use these local fun league games to give the youngest ones the opportunity to develop their on field confidence...well tonight he set me back months in our progress. I really despise coaches that do not see the big picture of athletics and our role as coaches.

Jun 8, 2012
IMO, there is a fine line between rubbing it in and just being a significantly better team. I'd think 41-0 is probably over that line.

I mean when its 30-0 and the coach is still screaming to round third, go go go go, get down. Seems like even a jerk would realize that that is ridiculous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1