38°f

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
And if I could find an inexpensive gym to rent out.

Our league was able to use the elementary school gyms for free. Janitor was there cleaning up anyways.

We did not wonder around, used softie balls and left it cleaner then when we got there.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I think alot has to do with what you are used to and have grown up in. At 38º my daughter plays in short sleeves, will put a sweatshirt on between games (maybe more if wind blowing) and she does great. She played in the ASA AA games in OK city and it was hot and humid(100º+) and she struggled way more than in the cold. With the need to always hydrate, sunscreen, cooling off...

Very good point. In MN we couldn't even have a HS softball season many years if we couldn't play in the cold. The girls are used to it. The fans get colder than the players. They ran a state track meet in freezing rain last spring. I was more worried about DD pulling a hammy in the relay than I ever was with her playing softball in the cold. Summer tourneys in KC, Chattanooga, etc... impact the northern girls a lot more than a little bit of cold from what I have seen.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

May 15, 2016
Our league was able to use the elementary school gyms for free.

We could use the gym for free, as long as we had insurance.

District policy--Required Insurance:
i. Commercial General Liability Insurance
ii. $1,000,000 per occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate

Since my DDs team is not an organization within our school district, it cannot be under their umbrella.

I would have to form my own organization, and pay for the insurance. I don't see that happening.

Thanks for the suggestion none the less.

Last edited:
May 15, 2016
Don't overlook churches. It would not surprise me if a church would let you use their gym at a time when they were not using it.

That might be something to look into, but it wouldn't surprise me if they required insurance, as I listed in my previous post.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Also, the dimpled balls in commercial batting cages are built for durability. They're designed to be in constant use, day after day, so they are dense and hard to stand up to the constant pounding.

The Jugs Sting-Free, and others of that type, are softer and more forgiving than the balls designed for commercial use, so theoretically you should be able to use them with composite or thin-walled aluminum bats. Still, if you are in doubt, use another bat.

Nov 18, 2013
Seems to me the level of exertion in winter sports is much higher than softball. As a skiier I know how much more I exert myself skiing than when I practice softball with my DD. Skiing it keeps my heart rate up, and my body warmer. During a game there a very few minutes when a player is fully exerting themselves, to keep them warm. Standing out in the field, or sitting on the bench does not keep the body warm. I imagine hockey or ice skating is very similar to skiing. If these winter sports keep the body warmer, I thought it would help prevent injury. A player sitting on a bench, after standing still out in the field for long periods of time, then suddenly has to run full speed to first, I imagine is not properly warm.

I thought we were talking practice. If so I’d be worried about having players just standing around or sitting on a bench no matter what the temp is. For games the girls exert themselves during warm ups to get loose. During the games they run foul poles between innings or pitch in the bull pen. Nobody wants to play when it’s 38, but its hard to reschedule so they play if they can. Just cold isn’t so bad. I worry when its cold and wet because of slipping or hands being so cold pitching becomes chuck and duck.

For indoor work I was able to rent elementary school gymnasiums for a reasonable rate as long as we used softies. There was no insurance requirement if we lived in the district. I’ve used Armories and indoor ice rinks as well with the only requirement being softies. We were on a pretty tight budget too and had to get creative. When she got older she played for a travel program with indoor facilities and could throw whenever she wanted. That’s really the ideal situation if you can find it in your area.

May 15, 2016
I thought we were talking practice. If so I’d be worried about having players just standing around or sitting on a bench no matter what the temp is.

Yes, that is where I started this thread.

There was no insurance requirement if we lived in the district.

Really nice that you did not have to pay insurance.

When she got older she played for a travel program with indoor facilities and could throw whenever she wanted. That’s really the ideal situation if you can find it in your area.

There is a team with indoor facilities, but neither DD wants to play for them.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Yes, that is where I started this thread.

Really nice that you did not have to pay insurance.

There is a team with indoor facilities, but neither DD wants to play for them.
You could try something crazy and talk to your local community education director about running softball pitching and hitting. You have to charge the girls a small fee and you have to be willing to take anyone who shows up but they let you use the gym for free and no insurance. All I had to do was take online concussion and blood-borne pathogen training. I also had to be willing to be there every week at the same time for 10 straight weeks but it was basically free and some other girls actually showed up.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You could try something crazy and talk to your local community education director about running softball pitching and hitting. You have to charge the girls a small fee and you have to be willing to take anyone who shows up but they let you use the gym for free and no insurance. All I had to do was take online concussion and blood-borne pathogen training. I also had to be willing to be there every week at the same time for 10 straight weeks but it was basically free and some other girls actually showed up.

Insurance needs to be sorted out. Do not them coming after me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles