38°f

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Are you talking about things that can be done in a modest size home, or a large practice facility?

Oops sorry- I was thinking of team practices in a gymnasium. All hard surfaces but still a lot you can do with throwing, hitting and running. If they're young, you can teach them to slide, too, believe it or not.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
Seems a little strange to be so concerned about it. I am far more concerned about tournaments in July and August when the temp is above 100 degrees. Dehydration is far more concerning than cold weather injuries. Players can bundle up between innings in the field. I think they DO need to stay warm and stretched out when the temperature gets down to about 30. Outside of extreme temps or wind chill it there is not much to worry about. Extremities (hands and feet) and exposed skin like ears and noses can get cold. When I have seen teams playing in below freezing temps the umps usually relax the uniform standards and let the girls wear non-matching sweatshirts over their jerseys and hats to cover their heads.

As long as the players stay hydrated and reapply sunscreen there shouldn't be a problem in the summer... or at least way less problems than playing in the cold. As CoachJD stated... in the cold no one want to be there and everyone is just trying for it to be done.

May 15, 2016
I’m not sure why softball would be different than winter sports for injury other than kids aren’t used to it.

Seems to me the level of exertion in winter sports is much higher than softball. As a skiier I know how much more I exert myself skiing than when I practice softball with my DD. Skiing it keeps my heart rate up, and my body warmer. During a game there a very few minutes when a player is fully exerting themselves, to keep them warm. Standing out in the field, or sitting on the bench does not keep the body warm. I imagine hockey or ice skating is very similar to skiing. If these winter sports keep the body warmer, I thought it would help prevent injury. A player sitting on a bench, after standing still out in the field for long periods of time, then suddenly has to run full speed to first, I imagine is not properly warm.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is important not to use your DD's game day bat in cold temperatures. There is a chance nothing will go wrong, but why take a chance? Use a beater bat for BP.

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
We're in the inland NW and temps are too damn cold to do much of anything outdoors. Couple the low temps with a frozen ground and/or snow/ice on the surface and there really isn't a good way to practice outside. My daughter had a knee injury this past fall (unrelated) and this winter she says the outside temps makes it feels like the knee never gets warmed up and worries about re-injuring it. My daughter has HS winter w/o 2x per week in a gym. Her travel ball team gets 2 and sometimes 3x a week inside a gym and/or hitting facility. Lastly, I personally rent out a local gym 2-3x a week for her pitching practice. You can run almost full practices indoors if you know what you are doing.

As for damaging composite bats in cold weather, I have my daughter use an old composite bat in sub 50* weather and save her "gamer" bat for the warmer temps. With that being said she hasn't broke any of her bats in cold weather. My daughter also hits a ton of our pitching machine with dimpled balls. Be careful with the commercial dimples and have her use a "junk" bat for those BUT if you use your own dimple balls you can get softer dimpled softballs than the commercial versions. My daughter has used her game bats and never had one break using these softer (no sting) style of dimpled ball.

May 15, 2016
Lastly, I personally rent out a local gym 2-3x a week for her pitching practice. You can run almost full practices indoors if you know what you are doing.

And if I could find an inexpensive gym to rent out.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2016
Why do you assume I am dismissing the dangers of heat when I ask the question about cold? I am also far more concerned about playing when the temperature is above 100°, but does that mean I should not ask the question about the cold? If the cold is simply not dangerous, then that is good to know.

I did not start this thread asking the question about the overall dangers of the cold, I was asking about whether or not it was a good idea to practice below a certain temperature. Being aware of the possibility of cold weather injuries, is it worth practicing below a certain temperature?

I did not intend to be dismissive or critical. 38 degrees is just not that cold. As far as pitching or hitting practice goes, I would take her outside as long as she is comfortable. She will be moving the whole time and she will stay warm. You could get her one of those pouches to put around her waist that the football players use when it is cold to keep their hands warm between plays. If she is pitching in 38 degrees she will probably bundle up and actually get too hot once she gets going. Hitting is the same. If you set up a net and they are hitting off the tee they will stay warm as long as they are working. The one who will get cold is you sitting on a bucket and setting the ball on the tee!

On a side note, you asked about cheap options for a gym. Don't overlook churches. It would not surprise me if a church would let you use their gym at a time when they were not using it.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I think alot has to do with what you are used to and have grown up in. At 38º my daughter plays in short sleeves, will put a sweatshirt on between games (maybe more if wind blowing) and she does great. She played in the ASA AA games in OK city and it was hot and humid(100º+) and she struggled way more than in the cold. With the need to always hydrate, sunscreen, cooling off...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles