2010 Rockettech- end-loaded or no? Good bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I was just looking at this bat on ebay and they referred to it as having a "balanced feel". On the Anderson website I didn't find anything that said one way or the other. Recent discussions have me looking at this bat again.

DD (just turned 15) seems to hit better with slightly heavier bats than the other girls go for, so I'm thinking she could be a good candidate for the Rockettech. Where they have there 30 day money back guarantee, I also thought that doesn't hurt. I've been thinking about a rockettech for her for a few years. If I get this, it will be the last bat I get her for a long time, now that she's in High School.

I got her a semi end-loaded Worth for $19 at Walmart to use as a practice bat. She loved it and hit well with it till it started rattling. 2 years later she still uses it as a practice bat.

I got her a 32" CF3 last year which is lightweight but she doesn't seem to get powerful hits with it. She uses it when facing faster pitchers, otherwise she uses her 32" DeMarini 375 (double wall aluminum) that she can really hit with. Could be that she just can't hit as well off faster pitching.

I dunno. Any of you have recommendations? I know it ain't the bat it's the batter, but I want to make sure I get her the right tool for the job. Also I've heard there's a different swing involved with the end-loaded bats.

thanks.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
obbay

You might enjoy reading about bats and balance points so I posted this link Swing Weight: Why moment-of-inertia matters more than weight

Dr. Russell writes so the common person such as myself can understand it.

I would say if she has a good hand path the end loaded bat works very well as it falls in the F = M x A, the more mass and how fast you can swing the bat is the more force you can apply to the ball.

I have used the Swing Speed Radar unit and had hitters swing a balanced bat and an end loaded bat to compare while hitting a ball off the tee into a target area. When you see 68 MPH on a balanced bat and 65 MPH on the end loaded and the end loaded hits below the target area you see the difference and the speed is lower. I like using the Edge Weighted Gloves or the Pro Cut weights that attach to the knob as in my opinion it helps develop the hand path better for my hitter. I do not like the donuts or weighted sleeves and have designed bats that work well for me.

Within the link provided there is more information on bat weight distribution also.

Thanks Howard

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I would also suggest not switching end loaded and balanced bats. If you have two use the same type of bat. As Howard stated it is all about hand path, not the bat. If you have a good hand path, then the end loaded will give you better results. I have a girl that got the new RT and her batting average dropped. I tried to convince the dad it was the wrong bat, after showing him the swing on RVP. He would have been better off spending the money on lessons first.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks guys and thanks for the link! I have seen that before but lost the link and never did read the whole thing. I should probably concentrate on getting video analysis going first before I bother spending big bucks on a bat.

thank you,
bob

Oct 14, 2008
Anderson does have a bat with a balanced feel........ the nanotek is more balanced, anderson is going after a larger market share than they had with just the regular end loaded R/T, they are now discovering what instructors have known for years,,,,,,,,,, very few kids have the stregnth and proper hand path to utalize an end loaded bat to its fullest potential........

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Walking around this weekend and looking at bats on the floor with 50 plus kids. I saw many R T's. First few could swing them correctly and we wonder why kids had them. 1. Many had to choke up to use them. 2. You find bat handle attachments and then you know they don't know why the RT is a good bat. Look at the end of the handle beside any other bat. It is desinged to go down into the hand.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Walking around this weekend and looking at bats on the floor with 50 plus kids. I saw many R T's. First few could swing them correctly and we wonder why kids had them. 1. Many had to choke up to use them. 2. You find bat handle attachments and then you know they don't know why the RT is a good bat. Look at the end of the handle beside any other bat. It is desinged to go down into the hand.

At the same clinic a dad approached me and said why is she pulling everything so we went over to look at her. I suggest she allow the knob of the bat to lead the elbows and had her hit a few being what we term Matrix slow and she put it exactly up the middle where it should have gone. Then I ask her to swing normally and could see the back elbow in very close to her hip. I asked one of the other girls if we could borrow her CF4 and after two swings the ball went exactly up the middle and the elbow was more away from her. The I borrowed a Louisville Slugger and she hit it up the middle. Even though the bat weight was different they were all balanced bats verses the RT. Dad said looks like we get a balanced bat until she learns how to handle the end loaded bat.He said at least I know why she pulls everything now!

Thanks Howard

Dec 11, 2009
what do you guys mean by a "good hand path" and how is it helpful when using an end-loaded bat vs. using a balanced bat?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
what do you guys mean by a "good hand path" and how is it helpful when using an end-loaded bat vs. using a balanced bat?

There is a thread in here some where where top hand torque and radial deviation is discussed....and bat path is discussed!

For me what I see in most kids using the end loaded bats is the back elbow is getting to close to the hip and the front side begins to open and the bat is going around the ball and they are pulling everything. Because each girl is different as to forearm strength and wrist strength they tend to try and muscle the bat verses using both arms as a unit or team. By making sure they know how to use a hammer, as this involves un hinging the wrist and grip the bat bat path improves a great deal. The next improvement comes from turning a little sooner and and not being so linear and they can feel bat lag better and direct the hands more to the inside path of the ball. The bat being balanced gives them more of a chance to get out of old habits and develop or learn a better way to control the bat in my opinion. Pulling on a rope from the bat lag position usually helps them to feel it.

Thanks Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877