2 Step part Deux

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2013
Yes a very nice arm indeed and a lefty. My DD is a lefty as well.

First suggestion I would have is to not sink the heals. Both of her heals sink and the push foot does step a bit. You want to start that lean early instead of just a bend at the waist.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY

Before too many people chime in... could you provide a review of these two vids? I'd really like to hear what you both think she can do better (with this drill)... as well as what she is doing well.

Btw... you could always jump in the car at 8... and be here by noon... just sayin'... ;) Really, though I'd love to work with you guys!

The weather this weekend would also allow you to take some outdoor video... it would greatly reduce the blur, too... which would help me see something else I suspect with her whip.

Well I am of course no expert.....But I would agree that the sinking of the heels is not a good thing as it is not allowing her to get into the lean fully, as she is bending at the waist slightly and not getting the hips into the lean, which is not the ideal position to explode forward as the hips explode forward not the shoulders. Second I think she does not do a good job initiating the push with her back (right) foot this would also help get into the proper position to go forward. She does do a good job of transferring the weight all in one motion, better then last year as it was a clear to movement action, and she does do a good job exploding into the pitch. As for the whip I suspect you are going to say that there needs to be a bit more bend in the elbow which we are working on, and I would like the ball to be a bit more palm up at 9:00. I will get some outdoor video this week to put on here as well.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
With the 2-step... you mod it into a full pitch.

• The stride heel should sink, the drive heel should not.
  • The gym step is as easy as tracing the edge of the rubber with the tip toe (providing the timing of the lean is correct... see below), maintaining contact the entire time... keep it on pointe. Have her intentionally start in front of the rubber a few inches... so she has to strike rearward to contact the plate.
  • The lean she uses takes place after the transfer. There seems to be a pause once she goes back. Incorporate the lean into the rearward transfer... so she's "going forward while going back". This creates more urgency... and will help her strike the rubber sooner. I prefer a slide that strikes... rather than a slide that pauses.
  • She doesn't need to take a step rearward anymore. With a good lean, simply lifting the foot up then down will be better.
  • Don't forget rhythm... you might need to simplify her wind-up and the timing of it for the time being.

Would love to see the less blurry video... hope you post it!

Sounds great and thanks for the corrections. I will try and post some better video this week and will also post an updated video in a couple of weeks after working on the corrections you put forth. What were your thoughts about the whip even though the video is a bit blurry?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck