Hand Position from 6-8 o'clock back swing....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

h8weakness

Bucket Dad
Jan 9, 2019
Mishawaka, IN
Ok... I know I might be shunned from this site but my DD is still throwing hello elbow. Being that we start tournaments in 28 days, it's too late to make big changes. Recently, I took my DD to a different local coach who would like to see her start her wind-up with the ball facing up palm up 6-8 O'clock. Currently she goes into her wind-up palm facing her leg. any real difference?
Thanks... I'm just a dumb dad on a bucket trying to learn.
Thoughts or opinions?
My daughter still throws well enough to get us through this season... but things have got to change this August.
So.. if you can get by the not throwing IR... any thoughts on the arm circle?
I have recently deleted a lot of my videos... I'll have to get a few side shots this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkRVBmLt1cg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux09rftSPHo (poor throw)
Thanks in advance! I'll keep going through threads to search for help on this
one more side question... how do I post these in slow motion? It seems my slow motion videos don't play in slow motion on here.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017
I believe the lefty pitcher from Texas A &M was starting her backswing the same way. Noticed this when i was watching the game today.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Pretty darn good IR if you ask me! She could use some work on whip by loosening up her lower arm and allowing it to lag. I’d also suggest an effort to drag her toenails which I think will bring her hip into a better position to receive the arm for brush. Do you have any clips from the side?

I like her backswing and might just suggest keeping it closer the the hip.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018
That does not look like Hello Elbow to me. To me, she looks a little bit more palm up in the first video than she does in the second video. A little difficult to tell for sure from that camera angle.

Apr 12, 2015
She doesn't throw HE, other than the fake HE finish, ala Amanda Scarborough.

Her IR is inefficient and incomplete, but this certainly isn't HE style.

My personal opinion is where the ball is facing in the backswing is largely a personal STYLE and not an absolute. As long as it isn't causing problems downstream it isn't something I worry too much about.

Jun 12, 2017
A quick check of videos of Osterman, Abbott and Ueno I see Osterman under, Abbott on the side and Ueno on top of the ball at the top of their backswing. Looks like it's a preference.

h8weakness

Bucket Dad
Jan 9, 2019
Mishawaka, IN
I'm going to find more videos. She's wanting to revert to her HE teachings maybe not so much in these two videos. So... she's already close to IR? So maybe it's not as big of a change as I think it might be? So... what's my 1st step toward guiding her without getting her to another new coach? A baby step to start with.
Thanks again!
You guys and gals are awesome...
I've got a lot to learn, my daughter works too hard for me to not learn it myself.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
don't change anything at this point. IR is actually natural although some very poor coaches can coach it out of a girl with HE. Your DD is on the right track and I suggest letting her keep doing what she is doing.
Look at IR in the classroom thread and anything Boardmember has posted on IR. IE. 9:00 drill, etc. etc. Your DD is already there but of course she can tweak it even better.

If she was my student, I would work a bit on FSR, front side resistence and she hops forward a bit. Okay with a hop at the end but make it straight up or a very slight degree backward as anything forward loses velocity.

She is on the right path for sure and don't screw it up by changing too much!

S3

h8weakness

Bucket Dad
Jan 9, 2019
Mishawaka, IN
don't change anything at this point. IR is actually natural although some very poor coaches can coach it out of a girl with HE. Your DD is on the right track and I suggest letting her keep doing what she is doing.
Look at IR in the classroom thread and anything Boardmember has posted on IR. IE. 9:00 drill, etc. etc. Your DD is already there but of course she can tweak it even better.

If she was my student, I would work a bit on FSR, front side resistence and she hops forward a bit. Okay with a hop at the end but make it straight up or a very slight degree backward as anything forward loses velocity.

She is on the right path for sure and don't screw it up by changing too much!

S3

That's a relief to hear. I've spoke with other coaches who want to change everything. She'll keep at it and just work on keeping her arm loose... And I'll keep going through the threads!

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I agree with STRIKE3 and a few other posters. She's not HE, IR could be better. For starters just keep doing what your doing but don't enforce HE or say things like high finish or even talk about her follow through with her hand. Just work on FSR. I don't see the need to change her backswing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28