2 kids 1 injured Im AC for injured kids team What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Im the AC of my DS's U11 baseball team. He has basically been shut down for the remainder of the season due to injury. My DD's team starts league play tonight and first tourney this weekend. DS's team also has a game tonight and tourney this weekend. I will be with DS at all his games. My question is that in 2 weeks DS's team travels out of state for tourney that he will not be able to play in. DD also has a big tourney that weekend. Do I still go out of state with DS's team because I made the commitment to be there or do I ask the HC if he is OK with me staying back for the out of state tourney. DS's team has 2 other AC's and Its really been tough for DS and I with him on the bench in shorts. The other issue is the expense of the out of state tourney. I can handle the cost a lot easier if he is playing but would rather not incur the cost if he is not going to play. What would you do?

Thanks

Part Time Catcher:confused:

Jun 1, 2013
You knew your DD would have these games when you signed up for AC. So take that out of the mix, you have at least 10 boys expecting you and depending on you. Your commitment is to the team. If your son is benched, would you still help? Same difference as injured. The real question though is (a) are you an active, effective AC? Or (b) are you passive not offering much? If a..go, if b.. resign and go enjoy your daughter's games. Give someone else the opportunity to commit to the team.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You're looking at a life-lesson teaching moment and the savings/cost of out of town travel is irrelevant IMO. A discussion w/ the HC can't hurt, but practically, whether the team suffers from your absence depends on how the HC has defined your role and game-day responsibilities as an AC; however, you did make a commitment to coaching not just DS, but DS's team.

I coach my DD's softball team no matter if she is at the game or tournament (she's also a select soccer GK), or not. My commitment is to the team when I signed on to be a coach. That goes for injury, as well.

Really shouldn't even be a discussion here as far as I'm concerned.

I would just ask the coach. Like others said it depends on your role if your job is to make sure the kids have water and call out the next kid in the line up off the line up card for the kids that are not paying attention why not ask? If you are the 3B coach and pitching coach who is giving hitting signs and helping coach manage pitchers well then no you have a full time job/commitment.

I would tell coach I am here 100% if you need me but if you can do without me I'd like to go watch DD.

Personally while I know others make some kind of big deal about team unity and I get that I am not 100% sure I would have my son traveling all over the country to watch his team play ball from the bench and no it is no the same as sitting the bench being ready to play, he can't do anything....maybe he can call out the line up and take over your duties as AC, again assuming you are not an integral part of the team.

Jun 1, 2013
It is the same thing if he is benched for disciplinary reasons. Being benched and sitting on the bench are different animals to me. But hey, some people define commitment differently.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
IL
They have 3 coaches, that's plenty.

If I'm the HC I'm telling you to stay home, save the money and spend some time getting to watch your daughter.

We'll save winning the World Series until next year.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I would say just be prepared for the possibility that you might be watching DS from the bleachers next year rather than the dugout. I'm not saying they would appoint another coach in your place now or even next season, but if the other coaches know you are not that important to the functioning of the team, they may find another dad next year that fits the role better. As soon as people know they can go about their business without you, they will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12