1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Sure she could gather less so she isn't getting so much over the back foot but more importantly, like @Work=wins said, she doing too much with her upper during the gather.
in the tee swings after game swings we have tried to limit any movement backwards. trying not to 'sway'. I see the upper try to 'pull' too far back and over rotate in a clockwise fashion.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
in the tee swings after game swings we have tried to limit any movement backwards. trying not to 'sway'. I see the upper try to 'pull' too far back and over rotate in a clockwise fashion.

this was kinda why I wanted you to enforce posture in the set-up when teaching. There is a superficial back line of fascia that gets stretched tight and will help activate the glutes to move you forward. It helps the pelvis counter rotate(load) forward as well. When done correctly it is reactive. this line runs from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet. TDS calls it ‘head to toe stretch’. It’s how I taught my dd to get FYB. See how Barry’s move is all sagittal plane? No frontal plane.
I know, this is deep. Disregard if you don’t understand. This just makes it easier to NOT use the hands early which is the issue you’re facing right now.
1592369331850.gif

May 3, 2014
this was kinda why I wanted you to enforce posture in the set-up when teaching. There is a superficial back line of fascia that gets stretched tight and will help activate the glutes to move you forward. It helps the pelvis counter rotate(load) forward as well. When done correctly it is reactive. this line runs from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet. TDS calls it ‘head to toe stretch’. It’s how I taught my dd to get FYB. See how Barry’s move is all sagittal plane? No frontal plane.
I know, this is deep. Disregard if you don’t understand. This just makes it easier to NOT use the hands early which is the issue you’re facing right now.
View attachment 18204
If you arch your feet like your are grabbing ground with toes and heel you will activate this line much easier with less movement.

May 3, 2014
Usually it’s when there is rotation happening without a direct link to the barrel. It’s when you turn the body parts without a connection to the whole.

Rotation is all I heard from when I first started, before Mankin and Epstein. It’s always been about rotation. I’ll post a clip of being too rotational.
You can rotate legs and hips and not have a connection to the barrel. Use your middle.

Everything above your pelvis and below your ribs is your middle. There won't be a lot of independent range of motion and that is the important thing. You can rotate your legs/hips very far without it connecting to the bat.

IMO it's why Bregman uses the cue he uses with the flashlights. Gets him to use his middle.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
In case she is a visual learner. Also the stride is a lot of times measured as 60% of one's height as a starting point.

- Softball Hitting Mechanics - Pull Back

- Softball DJ Sanders Pull Back

- Softball Hitting Posture

- Sierra Romero Proper Hitting Posture

Attachments

• Sierra Romero.jpeg
    Sierra Romero.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 3
Nov 16, 2017
I actually liked her Tee swings a lot better. Her game swing has no downward front shoulder angle. This is causing a very loopy swing. She is under the ball a ton. She must get that front shoulder down toward second base on the move out or she will be launching up hill every time.
W=w told me something that solved all the loading issues for me and my students. Let the gather pickup the front foot.

To me it was a feeling of pushing my rear foot into the ground that caused my front foot to lift. Not actively lifting my front foot. Once this feeling is achieved then the ability to ride the back leg is solved. It is actually fairly simple.

Once she is able to ride her back leg out properly then she can get shorter as she gets to toe touch\heel plant and she can maintain the downward front should angle.

Watch here at 0:33

Getting the downward front shoulder angle sets you up for the swing down to hit up feeling. If you don't get the front shoulder down then the feeling is usually a swing up feeling that results in a slow loopy swing where the barrel is way under the ball. Which is exactly what I am seeing.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
View attachment 18204
Thanks, i appreciate the continued posts.

So based on the picture of the planes (sagittal front to back, Horizontal (is this also transvers?) twisty, and frontal side to side) , your comment that he moves in the sagittal plane is speaking to the fact it is the beginning of the set up phase. He is getting from a starting point to a better athletic position, over the plate. he hasn't even moved out yet. I assume you are talking about getting in this 'good athletic postion' as someone else mentioned like basketball or volleyball. So when the video stops of Barry, i get that position of the torso and waist and legs. Can this just be a set starting position instead of moving into it? Edit: (like BigSkyHi's 3rd video above posture, right??)

If that is right, i think i am ok with that set up. What happens after then?

As i have heard on this site many many times, coil into the back leg, screw your leg into the ground, feel it in the inner heel.

Now what Butter says above, you can help activate this with the some hyperarch fascia action which i assume still goes along with the coil i just mentioned.

Can i assume that then the next moves are all in the frontal plane to toe touch? Then transverse plane for the swing in so much as the top half is on a different tilted axis? I am also telling DD that her belt line needs to stay flat. In her game swing you can see her push up with rear leg and belt line goes up and then down to toe touch.

are you also promoting any of the hands movement here in the Bonds gif? if not i wont focus on it. my DD is not tip and rip

1592398194705.png

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
You can rotate legs and hips and not have a connection to the barrel. Use your middle.

Everything above your pelvis and below your ribs is your middle. There won't be a lot of independent range of motion and that is the important thing. You can rotate your legs/hips very far without it connecting to the bat.

IMO it's why Bregman uses the cue he uses with the flashlights. Gets him to use his middle.
Butter, i can only assume that as long as you swing from the middle, it will pull your hips and legs thru and also the arms carrying the barrel? this is much simplified, but is that the main point here? I still struggle a bit with Bregmans cue, but may try it with DD.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If you arch your feet like your are grabbing ground with toes and heel you will activate this line much easier with less movement.
This is part of my DD's normal strength and conditioning training as well. the hyperarch fascia thingy. She really needs to do something to jump higher if she plans to continue to play volleyball. oh well, one thing at a time. We just need to get her rounding the bases. haha

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks, i appreciate the continued posts.

So based on the picture of the planes (sagittal front to back, Horizontal (is this also transvers?) twisty, and frontal side to side) , your comment that he moves in the sagittal plane is speaking to the fact it is the beginning of the set up phase. He is getting from a starting point to a better athletic position, over the plate. he hasn't even moved out yet. I assume you are talking about getting in this 'good athletic postion' as someone else mentioned like basketball or volleyball. So when the video stops of Barry, i get that position of the torso and waist and legs. Can this just be a set starting position instead of moving into it?

If that is right, i think i am ok with that set up. What happens after then?

As i have heard on this site many many times, coil into the back leg, screw your leg into the ground, feel it in the inner heel.

Now what Butter says above, you can help activate this with the some hyperarch fascia action which i assume still goes along with the coil i just mentioned.

Can i assume that then the next moves are all in the frontal plane to toe touch? Then transverse plane for the swing in so much as the top half is on a different tilted axis? I am also telling DD that her belt line needs to stay flat. In her game swing you can see her push up with rear leg and belt line goes up and then down to toe touch.

are you also promoting any of the hands movement here in the Bonds gif? if not i wont focus on it. my DD is not tip and rip

View attachment 18207

fanboi22, try to do all the pre-launch work within the s-plane and allow the frontal and transverse movements to be the result in getting fyb.. This should keep her stacked and dynamic when the swing is launched.

Everything occurring at the end of this clip should be reactive to the up front S-plane actions.

huNEjED.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32