1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the notes. Understood on the shoulder angle.

When you comment on posture which i think W=W did, you mean have upper body more over plate? And when you say 'getting to this position from the DROP', what does drop mean?

Can you show me and or explain the 'open landing of front foot'? I thought she was more of 45 degree. i consider open to be pointing at pitcher and closed pointing at other batters box. Thanks.

Yes more of a guarding position in basketball, or getting ready to set a volleyball. It needs to be natural so I would use those queues from other sports. From the drop is slang meaning from the beginning. Start that way. Don't start tall like Bellinger.

Not the angle of her left foot but where her whole foot landing is open. Or her left foot is farther away from the plate than her right foot. I want to see them even with the plate or her left foot slightly closer to the plate which I really prefer.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Got it. I think that the counter rotation is a big item to work on thanks. I think people have mentioned before to stare straight at the pitcher then follow the pitch in to hit off a tee. i think we need to try that.

When you say 'knowing what the goal is' that i think is the problem. When the goal post moves all the time, or at least seems to for me, hard to try and decipher. Dont get me wrong i absolutely appreciate your comments and help. I am not trying to argue, just trying to figure it out.

Part of the issue for me has been when some one says to 'walk away from the hands' i didn't realize it meant anything different. When 'snap the wrists' then we snapped them. Drive with the leg, hit with the hip, swing down (without posture and fyb - for you julray), etc.

I think i am getting most of it now and able to eliminate the noise.

Yeah. Part of it is that folks are speaking of different movement patterns. Once you can decipher which is which. It becomes a lot easier. you should ask which ‘pattern’ someone is explaining to you. So you don’t go down any wrong rabbit holes.

Like I said try the Barry Bonds double stretch drill with some posture. I think it will get her going in the right direction. Good luck.

1592338710109.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes more of a guarding position in basketball, or getting ready to set a volleyball. It needs to be natural so I would use those queues from other sports. From the drop is slang meaning from the beginning. Start that way. Don't start tall like Bellinger.

Not the angle of her left foot but where her whole foot landing is open. Or her left foot is farther away from the plate than her right foot. I want to see them even with the plate or her left foot slightly closer to the plate which I really prefer.
nice, DD played/plays both basketball and volleyball so that will be a good description.

Got it on being open. In looking at the Miggy 6xGif he seems to plant pretty consistently in every pitch location. slightly diff in some but not anything huge. DD may be open more due to new lead foot back starting position. thanks.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yeah. Part of it is that folks are speaking of different movement patterns. Once you can decipher which is which. It becomes a lot easier. you should ask which ‘pattern’ someone is explaining to you. So you don’t go down any wrong rabbit holes.

Like I said try the Barry Bonds double stretch drill with some posture. I think it will get her going in the right direction. Good luck.

View attachment 18202
Thanks, i want to do this as part of the hand path Bonds Drill everyone is talking about. I tried it and liked it. In Slow pitch i actually hit like that without the posture when trying to stay in the ball park. Not that i had a problem staying in the ball park, haha, but when you need a hit or wanna go up the box at the pitcher. :cool:

May 12, 2016
nice, DD played/plays both basketball and volleyball so that will be a good description.

Got it on being open. In looking at the Miggy 6xGif he seems to plant pretty consistently in every pitch location. slightly diff in some but not anything huge. DD may be open more due to new lead foot back starting position. thanks.
It's easy for a hitter to start with good posture... it more important what happens after heel plant when it comes to posture... that's where most hitters come out of their swing.. honestly though, I've seen worse posture issues. And her game swing must be much different than her tee swing, because I can see a young lady having a lot of success with her tee swing. We are just guessing here until we see a live swing

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fanboi22,

I just think she’s too mechanical. I don’t think it has anything to do with this or that muscle, or trying anything mentioned.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It's easy for a hitter to start with good posture... it more important what happens after heel plant when it comes to posture... that's where most hitters come out of their swing.. honestly though, I've seen worse posture issues. And her game swing must be much different than her tee swing, because I can see a young lady having a lot of success with her tee swing. We are just guessing here until we see a live swing
fine, i will find the game swing and post it. Remember that the most recent tee swing is after we tried to address rear leg issues and some posture, FYB. or at least we thought....... video to come shortly.:)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fanboi22,

I just think she’s too mechanical. I don’t think it has anything to do with this or that muscle, or trying anything mentioned.
I can only take this as not being loose enough or relaxed enough. Which we have discussed. I want this all to come natural, so maybe it is the progression that is making her mechanical. We are working on specific movements and trying to make sure those happen. maybe after she is used to it they will become less mechanical and more natural.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I can only take this as not being loose enough or relaxed enough. Which we have discussed. I want this all to come natural, so maybe it is the progression that is making her mechanical. We are working on specific movements and trying to make sure those happen. maybe after she is used to it they will become less mechanical and more natural.

Yes when learning something new it will be mechanical. Her current swing is too rotational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom