1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
FB,

look at post 292. Watch your dd load the scap back before she goes forward. That’s backwards. That creates all the problems you are having right now. That should never happen.

This will be my last post in your thread. there are too many experts here already. 😆😆😆Good luck!
You are just leaving because I am agreeing with you and it feels uncomfortable...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When you say she rotates her shoulders to load her hands what does that mean? What does a loaded hand look like? Does this just mean that she did not drive her hands forward with the swing and let them drag behind?Like they were left in the same location in space as the shoulders turned, then once the stretch got too far the hands got pulled?

Not sure then what getting stuck means.

I think you are just saying that she didn't get her hands back far enough in a 'loaded' position. Where is your ideal hand position at launch. Meaning, where do you want your hands loaded to when the forward move is done before launch so that they dont get loaded by a rotating shoulder?

I appreciate that and maybe i am too critical. But the list of 5 or 6 things that i came up with before were the main ones, i know there are others.

point 5 below is the one i am addressing. I think you are saying something similar to what i am trying to do, but for some reason it isn't coming across that way. Please clarify.

0.9 (i got out of order) - More body posture and tilt over plate before stride - s-plane movements.
1. no torso twist on stride/load. scap load should be reactionary to the body 'walking away from the hands.'
2. resist rear leg IR better.
3. My own thoughts - get more resistance from front foot down.
4. launch from middle (this will help ER the rear leg and create better sequence to distal parts)
5. Keep wrist/barrel orientation during launch, do not let elbow slot without action on the barrel. - she is creating bat drag.

sorry FB. I’m done. Maybe someone else can help you. I’ve ran out of patience. Whoever told you what to do before... fire them. Scap load isn’t a thing. Good luck! I do truly hope your dd gets it on the tracks soon!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
FB,

look at post 292. Watch your dd load the scap back before she goes forward. That’s backwards. That creates all the problems you are having right now. That should never happen.

This will be my last post in your thread. there are too many experts here already. 😆😆😆Good luck!
Dont back out on me now. I appreciate the content. I am just trying to get you to not talk in circles. i just don't get what you are trying to say.

I looked at post 292. You are saying that she cannot load her hands before the move out. What if she started that way? Do her hands get into a good position relative to the body at least?

When i look at it again, the hands moving back is actually during the load and not before. Unless you are telling me her original hand set is not in the right spot to begin with. Thanks again. i hope you stick around.

Feb 25, 2020
standing tall with no posture?? I was under the impression it also used posture.

I would show her that gif. Show her yourself(you got the skills to do it). Have her do it not worrying about posture. Then work in posture(still directly off the plate). Then work it up to line drives. Don't work up til she can hit it off of the plate. Literally. Off of the plate. The swing will look just like the bonds gif to hit it off of the plate. Thats the whole point of the drill.

I think it's worth a shot. Sucks for you, you have to explain everything to her(lol).

WW was right, andy mccutchen is a good analogous swing.

If you show the equivalent frames from the gif of your DD tee swing TDS posted at first(where the bat handle goes back and down of instead down and forward) to this

It looks very similar but cutch moves it "down to" when its time to go(they all do). Tell her this is what the drill gets her to do.

Give it another shot!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
sorry FB. I’m done. Maybe someone else can help you. I’ve ran out of patience. Whoever told you what to do before... fire them. Scap load isn’t a thing. Good luck! I do truly hope your dd gets it on the tracks soon!
Sorry about that. i appreciated the content. J Stone references 'scap load' i dont care if it is a thing or not. I want my DD's arms / hands in the right spot at the right time. Just tell me when and where. You state she loads before stride. She doesn't. I am not sure what you are looking at. I cannot reconcile what your comment is vs what i am seeing. Sorry for your patience. Thank you for all the help you have given to date.
much appreciated.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Dont back out on me now. I appreciate the content. I am just trying to get you to not talk in circles. i just don't get what you are trying to say.

I looked at post 292. You are saying that she cannot load her hands before the move out. What if she started that way? Do her hands get into a good position relative to the body at least?

When i look at it again, the hands moving back is actually during the load and not before. Unless you are telling me her original hand set is not in the right spot to begin with. Thanks again. i hope you stick around.

I told you exactly what to do. Can’t do more than that. Good luck!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I would show her that gif. Show her yourself(you got the skills to do it). Have her do it not worrying about posture. Then work in posture(still directly off the plate). Then work it up to line drives. Don't work up til she can hit it off of the plate. Literally. Off of the plate. The swing will look just like the bonds gif to hit it off of the plate. Thats the whole point of the drill.

I think it's worth a shot. Sucks for you, you have to explain everything to her(lol).

WW was right, andy mccutchen is a good analogous swing.

If you show the equivalent frames from the gif of your DD tee swing TDS posted at first(where the bat handle goes back and down of instead down and forward) to this

It looks very similar but cutch moves it "down to" when its time to go(they all do). Tell her this is what the drill gets her to do.

Give it another shot!

Thanks, i think there have been many interpretations of that drill and until BB or CY actually video it, i think it is all just guessing. full swing half swing posture no posture, wide, not wide. i dont know.

The point of the drill to me is the same as the Casey Smith posture instragram posts. Or at least something like that. I think it requires hi hands to swing down to.

IN any case i feel it when i do it and tried to show DD.

Agreed on the video, however i dont think my DD can do that effectively without the top hand wrist torque holding the handle tight. She gets to slot and other things happening during the swing before the barrel wants to move.

we will keep at it, thanks for the input.

maybe i am just stressed for time as we are mid season and not in a good way. oh well.

Jun 8, 2016
I think the trouble is we are in the middle of the season needing to do an overhaul. I am trying to piece it together without breaking the whole. My thought is she can't get any worse. Have you used the J Stone drill personally or have you not needed to? curious on results.
I've done some dry stride work with Marcela. Her movements are a bit better but who knows if that is just her getting older or what, it cannot hurt. I used to swing in the mirror all the time growing up, it helps you connect what you are feeling to a visual picture of what the swing should look like.

To be honest her tee swing isn't bad and if she could bring it to the game she would do ok. That said, the things that are wrong with it are accentuated in the game swing because of the timing aspect. If you look at her game swing, her stride is much shorter. I think the reason for this is she isn't able to move out on time (so she has shorten her stride to get her foot down to hit) because of what is going on in her gather, e.g. she is trying to load her upper back during the gather (e.g. "engaging the scap") when your upper back muscles should be used when she is moving out. She is also getting a bit too far over the back knee which will also hinder her move out from a balance perspective.

So now, because she isn't moving out on time, she isn't able to develop enough stretch to be able to whip the bat through. Marcela has had this issue a number of times for various reasons including the ones I mentioned above. Recently she hasn't been able to move out on time because she was waiting to see where the pitch was to move out. I'm hoping she turned a corner on this the last few games she played..we will see this weekend. In either case, not moving out on time hinders a hitter's ability to develop stretch in the body.

I am also curious as to what her front toss swing looks like in comparison to her tee swing and her game swing. It is possible that part of the getting stuck aspect (e.g. not moving out on time) is actually due to what I mentioned Marcela was doing of late, e.g. waiting to see where the pitch is before starting to move out. Typically this won't manifest itself in BP as the hitter is more comfortable. Just telling her to move out like she is expecting every pitch to be a strike would help with this. Getting a game video where the pitcher is included in it will help determine this.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
she doesn’t have too many issues. She rotates her shoulders to load her hands. She then gets stuck which turns into drag. You do not coil the upper body to load the upper half. The forward move counter rotates the upper, which loads the hands as long as there’s a bit of resistance in hands.

once that is learned... If she’s popping up a lot or underneath stuff address the ‘down to’ portion. Last time I looked at your dds swing she wasn’t under, she was late.
So trying to go back and re-read some stuff so i dont lose you.

are you simply saying:

"Keep the shoulders stationary relative to the hips(since the hips should just be moving linearly toward the pitcher). Do not (from an above view), do not rotate the shoulders clockwise as this causes issues. Keep the shoulders still and any arm action is separate from shoulders and if elbow pulls back, like a bow and arrow, that action will load the scap. Not the shoulder turn. do not turn shoulders."

If so then i would ask how the forward move counter rotates the upper? Maybe i am not separating hips and shoulders into my thoughts.

You also talk about that move loading the hands 'as long as there is resistance' and i can only assume you mean the resistance to moving forward with the forward move, ie the 'walk away from hands'. Am i close?

i am not trying to be rude, i truly am trying to understand the meaning of what you write and translate to what i can understand.

thanks and hope you had a good shower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez