1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The Stone drill with the PVC pipe would be good as mentioned by @Work=wins . Heck just having her try and mimic the sequence of a good hitter in the mirror would be useful.

In terms of my issues, the biggest one is I am a head case :LOL:
I think the trouble is we are in the middle of the season needing to do an overhaul. I am trying to piece it together without breaking the whole. My thought is she can't get any worse. Have you used the J Stone drill personally or have you not needed to? curious on results.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She has many issues, this is one i can articulate to her and not just tell her to get better at her 'movements'.

specifically the comments on bat drag, which are a result of the hands not firing. The hands fall away and down from the shoulders and level out her swing. She does not keep a grip on the top hand handle and has no ability to keep her forearm barrel angles while she slots, so the elbow goes to the side without the barrel doing anything. Is that an ok thing to do?? My term now, she doesn't stay connected from hands to shoulders. I get the fact that torso drives the shoulders. So if you want to say hands connected to torso, same thing.

I understand you wanted me to do the double load drill, how will that help her top hand stay on the handle and not drop her hands to swing? She will just do the same droppy motion in that drill 2x.

Do i think she needs better lower body movements, yes. She needs alot. I am trying to take maybe what i think to be the easiest to fix first that i think will allow her a better path than what she has. Will it be perfect, no not until i fix the other movements.

I am trying to parse thru the info and when one makes sense i will look at it. Alot doesn't make any sense.

she doesn’t have too many issues. She rotates her shoulders to load her hands. She then gets stuck which turns into drag. You do not coil the upper body to load the upper half. The forward move counter rotates the upper, which loads the hands as long as there’s a bit of resistance in hands.

once that is learned... If she’s popping up a lot or underneath stuff address the ‘down to’ portion. Last time I looked at your dds swing she wasn’t under, she was late.

Feb 25, 2020
She needs to hit it right into the plate. The reason for this is you can't do what she does in her tee/game swing AND hit it directly into the plate. Thats how the fix occurs. She hits it into the plate. Not 15 feet in front. Directly into the plate.

You could probly show her yourself maybe. It's pretty much this. Then you just work it up. Keep at it.
EKYownY.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
was planning to post some videos tonight, but dont think it is worth it. no progression. We tried to do the Barry Bonds drill and it revealed the same thing that Clem stated his daughter did, no top hand anything.

So the top hand literally releases from the barrel and spins on the handle until she gets to the door knocker grip. Even after telling her to snap the handle in half with tight grip.

This i believe is causing the main issue with bat drag. May also be creating the lack of connection to shoulders, or casting or whatever anyone calls it. I thought casting was pushing barrel away from body, and that isn't what this is, it is just a delay in action. but i digress.

Her stride wasn't far enough as people said to do the drill, but i still dont think that is our main issue. Lower half is an issue, but no top hand i think is a bigger one. Alot of people talk about top hand vs bottom hand, i guess i will get to know exactly what each is doing when we start fixing it. Tourney this weekend and will maybe post game swings if any better, else wait until next week to work on more reps.

For the grip have found it helpful having the kids going to either contact point on a tee or go to extension after contact and place hands bottom up/bottom down. Then easily bring the bat bat, lay it on their shoulders and look at the grip. With that being the grip they own, they don't have to try to figure some generality a coach has come up with.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
She needs to hit it right into the plate. The reason for this is you can't do what she does in her tee/game swing AND hit it directly into the plate. Thats how the fix occurs. She hits it into the plate. Not 15 feet in front. Directly into the plate.

You could probly show her yourself maybe. It's pretty much this. Then you just work it up. Keep at it.
View attachment 18305
standing tall with no posture?? I was under the impression it also used posture.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
For the grip have found it helpful having the kids going to either contact point on a tee or go to extension after contact and place hands bottom up/bottom down. Then easily bring the bat bat, lay it on their shoulders and look at the grip. With that being the grip they own, they don't have to try to figure some generality a coach has come up with.
i think that i get what you are saying. What i told my DD before was that she needs to start with a grip that gets is comfortable hopefully where her body wants it to go. HOwever even in some of the swings, she pulls the elbow too far in, so i want to base it on the power v or whatever gets her in the best arm position. This one shouldn't be difficult in the grand scheme of things as it is pretty cut and dry. It is explainable and easy to achieve. As long as your DD doesn't just shut down any instruction and do whatever she wants.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
People have to remember that Christian Yelich was already a MLB'er who more than likely did 95% of what you need to do to be successful correct when the "BB" drill was used to help him...
That drill has been around for decades and it only helped a few. That is why it is so hard to find anyone demonstrating it.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
i think that i get what you are saying. What i told my DD before was that she needs to start with a grip that gets is comfortable hopefully where her body wants it to go. HOwever even in some of the swings, she pulls the elbow too far in, so i want to base it on the power v or whatever gets her in the best arm position. This one shouldn't be difficult in the grand scheme of things as it is pretty cut and dry. It is explainable and easy to achieve. As long as your DD doesn't just shut down any instruction and do whatever she wants.
With the tourney coming up may be time to be a cheerleader. One of the best cheerleaders I ever heard was a mom yelling "knock the piss out of it. :devilish:

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
FB,

look at post 292. Watch your dd load the scap back before she goes forward. That’s backwards. That creates all the problems you are having right now. That should never happen.

This will be my last post in your thread. there are too many experts here already. 😆😆😆Good luck!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
she doesn’t have too many issues. She rotates her shoulders to load her hands. She then gets stuck which turns into drag. You do not coil the upper body to load the upper half. The forward move counter rotates the upper, which loads the hands as long as there’s a bit of resistance in hands.

once that is learned... If she’s popping up a lot or underneath stuff address the ‘down to’ portion. Last time I looked at your dds swing she wasn’t under, she was late.
When you say she rotates her shoulders to load her hands what does that mean? What does a loaded hand look like? Does this just mean that she did not drive her hands forward with the swing and let them drag behind?Like they were left in the same location in space as the shoulders turned, then once the stretch got too far the hands got pulled?

Not sure then what getting stuck means.

I think you are just saying that she didn't get her hands back far enough in a 'loaded' position. Where is your ideal hand position at launch. Meaning, where do you want your hands loaded to when the forward move is done before launch so that they dont get loaded by a rotating shoulder?

I appreciate that and maybe i am too critical. But the list of 5 or 6 things that i came up with before were the main ones, i know there are others.

point 5 below is the one i am addressing. I think you are saying something similar to what i am trying to do, but for some reason it isn't coming across that way. Please clarify.

0.9 (i got out of order) - More body posture and tilt over plate before stride - s-plane movements.
1. no torso twist on stride/load. scap load should be reactionary to the body 'walking away from the hands.'
2. resist rear leg IR better.
3. My own thoughts - get more resistance from front foot down.
4. launch from middle (this will help ER the rear leg and create better sequence to distal parts)
5. Keep wrist/barrel orientation during launch, do not let elbow slot without action on the barrel. - she is creating bat drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321