1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
ok, thanks. Now after i watch the Dr Ferree bits and look at the article of is more separation good, that really contradicts this. Wow, this is really getting to be something. This video is just like the J Stone progression bits with PVC, so nearly the same. But the more separation of the muscles the less power you have. i forget what article it was but showed at almost the most contracted and the most stretched is really where muscles fade and dont have power. So this is actually counter productive. I like what DrD;s DD is showing. Which has little to none of that. unless i didn't see correctly.
In the Dr Ferree article believe she was referencing pitchers landing stride and the tremendous amount of separation by being open. At 5:15 of the video Edit: I'll let him do the talking. Smartest thing I have done this week.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
was planning to post some videos tonight, but dont think it is worth it. no progression. We tried to do the Barry Bonds drill and it revealed the same thing that Clem stated his daughter did, no top hand anything.

So the top hand literally releases from the barrel and spins on the handle until she gets to the door knocker grip. Even after telling her to snap the handle in half with tight grip.

This i believe is causing the main issue with bat drag. May also be creating the lack of connection to shoulders, or casting or whatever anyone calls it. I thought casting was pushing barrel away from body, and that isn't what this is, it is just a delay in action. but i digress.

Her stride wasn't far enough as people said to do the drill, but i still dont think that is our main issue. Lower half is an issue, but no top hand i think is a bigger one. Alot of people talk about top hand vs bottom hand, i guess i will get to know exactly what each is doing when we start fixing it. Tourney this weekend and will maybe post game swings if any better, else wait until next week to work on more reps.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
this leads to poor direction and pulling off pitches. See my last post to Fanboi. Try the bat on shoulder drill. This is what you are advocating for. The hands quickly outrace the shoulders in a good swing. They use the shoulders for an initial turbo boost via the contraction of the core. Nothing more. Ever notice the hands react to the stretch of the core and not the counter rotation of the shoulders?

View attachment 18301

you did say you were having issues with the outside pitch right? This might be why. The tilt o whirl is an ‘Hi’ thing. You might be mixing patterns. I know you hate it but ‘hands to the ball’ gives the swings’ direction a chance when hitting. No different than golf. Knob to the ball, hit down.

Think this going under the category of feel vs. real. If you instructed a young hitter have her hands out race her shoulders this would result in a frailing, armsy ugly swing. "Hands to the ball" cue produces the same thing. Body to the ball, hands get thrown off, throwing bats to feel core work. The double stretch BB move is good. I don't care for BB swing (for the average female) but that drill tells the hitter which muscles are going to launch the swing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
was planning to post some videos tonight, but dont think it is worth it. no progression. We tried to do the Barry Bonds drill and it revealed the same thing that Clem stated his daughter did, no top hand anything.

So the top hand literally releases from the barrel and spins on the handle until she gets to the door knocker grip. Even after telling her to snap the handle in half with tight grip.

This i believe is causing the main issue with bat drag. May also be creating the lack of connection to shoulders, or casting or whatever anyone calls it. I thought casting was pushing barrel away from body, and that isn't what this is, it is just a delay in action. but i digress.

Her stride wasn't far enough as people said to do the drill, but i still dont think that is our main issue. Lower half is an issue, but no top hand i think is a bigger one. Alot of people talk about top hand vs bottom hand, i guess i will get to know exactly what each is doing when we start fixing it. Tourney this weekend and will maybe post game swings if any better, else wait until next week to work on more reps.

that’s not the BB drill you shoulda been focused on. Her movements are no good. Not her hand path. Where did you get the notion that her hands were the primary issue?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
People have to remember that Christian Yelich was already a MLB'er who more than likely did 95% of what you need to do to be successful correct when the "BB" drill was used to help him...
i understand, i totally due. which is most likely why my daughter went ballistic about the drill because she had no clue what it was supposed to do. Now that being said. i am trying to have her understand bat path. she is dropping her elbow and her hands from her shoulder creating bat drag. If i can use this drill to help get the feel of starting from the shoulders and then working to get farther and farther with the same path just more tilt, that to me is what the drill is intended to do. for me, this just happened to be identified as probably a bigger issue.

So i am game for any suggestions you have to help. I know you have your own struggles, hopefully what i am dealing with can help you in now or in the future.

Jun 8, 2016
i understand, i totally due. which is most likely why my daughter went ballistic about the drill because she had no clue what it was supposed to do. Now that being said. i am trying to have her understand bat path. she is dropping her elbow and her hands from her shoulder creating bat drag. If i can use this drill to help get the feel of starting from the shoulders and then working to get farther and farther with the same path just more tilt, that to me is what the drill is intended to do. for me, this just happened to be identified as probably a bigger issue.

So i am game for any suggestions you have to help. I know you have your own struggles, hopefully what i am dealing with can help you in now or in the future.
The Stone drill with the PVC pipe would be good as mentioned by @Work=wins . Heck just having her try and mimic the sequence of a good hitter in the mirror would be useful.

In terms of my issues, the biggest one is I am a head case :LOL:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
that’s not the BB drill you shoulda been focused on. Her movements are no good. Not her hand path. Where did you get the notion that her hands were the primary issue?
She has many issues, this is one i can articulate to her and not just tell her to get better at her 'movements'.

specifically the comments on bat drag, which are a result of the hands not firing. The hands fall away and down from the shoulders and level out her swing. She does not keep a grip on the top hand handle and has no ability to keep her forearm barrel angles while she slots, so the elbow goes to the side without the barrel doing anything. Is that an ok thing to do?? My term now, she doesn't stay connected from hands to shoulders. I get the fact that torso drives the shoulders. So if you want to say hands connected to torso, same thing.

I understand you wanted me to do the double load drill, how will that help her top hand stay on the handle and not drop her hands to swing? She will just do the same droppy motion in that drill 2x.

Do i think she needs better lower body movements, yes. She needs alot. I am trying to take maybe what i think to be the easiest to fix first that i think will allow her a better path than what she has. Will it be perfect, no not until i fix the other movements.

I am trying to parse thru the info and when one makes sense i will look at it. Alot doesn't make any sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80