1st Tournament down...How was your weekend?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Don't forget to post!!!!! I'm pulling for Davida over Goliath!

Thanks Steve. It's not going to be an easy task, but I think we are up to the challenge. That D1 pitcher is a year older, and has been an off and on thorn in our side since 12U TB. She's about 5'11 tall slender muscular build, and throws about 63-64 with a killer rise. She won ASA Northern Nationals last year out of 60 teams. Her HS was runner up in state HS championships.

I'm going to fine tune BIG LEFTY all week. But just my luck............looking at the forecast.........thunderstorms Thursday night and all day Friday. I don't think that complex has tarps. :(

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks Steve. It's not going to be an easy task, but I think we are up to the challenge. That D1 pitcher is a year older, and has been an off and on thorn in our side since 12U TB. She's about 5'11 tall slender muscular build, and throws about 63-64 with a killer rise. She won ASA Northern Nationals last year out of 60 teams. Her HS was runner up in state HS championships.

I'm going to fine tune BIG LEFTY all week. But just my luck............looking at the forecast.........thunderstorms Thursday night and all day Friday. I don't think that complex has tarps. :(

Well my question would be can her rise-ball be hit? Does she have other significant breaking pitches or is that her bread and butter. Can she throw her riseball for strikes. I am asking because my team faced a girl that led the nation in ERA in DII, 1.05, who had a killer rise. She got 2 strikes on us the whole game off her rise-ball, and one was neck high, and one girl didn't listen to the lessons all week and swung. We did lose, 1-0.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well my question would be can her rise-ball be hit? Does she have other significant breaking pitches or is that her bread and butter. Can she throw her riseball for strikes. I am asking because my team faced a girl that led the nation in ERA in DII, 1.05, who had a killer rise. She got 2 strikes on us the whole game off her rise-ball, and one was neck high, and one girl didn't listen to the lessons all week and swung. We did lose, 1-0.

Well..........her rise can be hit but she sets it up great. Not to get the old thread started again but I'll have to be honest in her pitching. She works a lot of low pitches. ( making you top the ball for a infield hit ) Then she can run the ladder, she will throw the rise for a strike ( if she gets you on a looking strike ) she will come back with a high fastball ( just a tad out of the zone / and I've seen many a DD chase it ). Or run the scenario vise versa.

We call that pitch THE HIGH HARD ONE cause it's so freaking hard not to swing at that fat, high in your eyes pitch.

I spoke to the HS coach this morning, told/asked him to work on hitting and reading the rise with the varsity group this week. He agreed, she will be the best rise baller we will see until state.

Apr 1, 2010
I'm envious, but DD's team did have their first outdoor practice this weekend. Mid-30's when it started at 11, but it had warmed up to the mid-40's when it ended at 1:30. --Could have been a lot worse.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This past weekend? Too cold here to play softball. Had our yearly basketball fundraiser banquet, I won the big raffle of $2k, so it was a great weekend.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well..........her rise can be hit but she sets it up great. Not to get the old thread started again but I'll have to be honest in her pitching. She works a lot of low pitches. ( making you top the ball for a infield hit ) Then she can run the ladder, she will throw the rise for a strike ( if she gets you on a looking strike ) she will come back with a high fastball ( just a tad out of the zone / and I've seen many a DD chase it ). Or run the scenario vise versa.

We call that pitch THE HIGH HARD ONE cause it's so freaking hard not to swing at that fat, high in your eyes pitch.

I spoke to the HS coach this morning, told/asked him to work on hitting and reading the rise with the varsity group this week. He agreed, she will be the best rise baller we will see until state.

What I did was place two pitching machines, one throwing at the low letters. The other threw at the waist. The girls came up and hit of the machines, and got dozens of looks of the high pitch. They let it go. In the game, only one girl swung at a rise-ball, and she got one called strike at the neck! She couldn't throw it for called strikes, yet led DII the next year in ERA. Her only other two pitches were a fastball and a change-up. We didn't hit her well, but got a few walks, and 4 runners in scoring position, but lost 1-0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877