1st Tournament down...How was your weekend?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD does not know who her teammates or Manager are going to be this year, another Sunday of P lessons. P practice is getting old; she wants to pitch at least 1 inning of real ball to see where she is at. :)

Good luck with your season! Like Sparky Guy posted, maybe take it easy on the stats.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What I did was place two pitching machines, one throwing at the low letters. The other threw at the waist. The girls came up and hit of the machines, and got dozens of looks of the high pitch. They let it go. In the game, only one girl swung at a rise-ball, and she got one called strike at the neck! She couldn't throw it for called strikes, yet led DII the next year in ERA. Her only other two pitches were a fastball and a change-up. We didn't hit her well, but got a few walks, and 4 runners in scoring position, but lost 1-0.

Good idea on the machines. May do that tomorrow indoors because of rain chances. We had all 4 pitchers today throwing high FB's and rise's ( really only 2 can throw a rise ). I wanted them to see where their individual strike zone will be, and where in the mid to early plate plane..........to recognize the trajectory of the pitch. ( ball or strike )

They want this particular game as bad as I do, we have struggled with this team since middle school. We usually split for the season ( play a home and home ) but I'm sick and tired of splitting!!!!!!!!

They are not in our district, but we do play them in the season. They are a cocky bunch. :mad:

Gonna put up my lucky avatar for this week!!

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I love the comments! The point was we all love it! That was all. As for stats....I will not quit. We keep a game book for each game. How else would we know what to work on for key positions. We are playing a game of stats and we keep stats. It also helps in TB as there is no other way to handle the parents who "see" things that you do not. It is an equalizer for both parent and coach. As for being jealous....Sorry guys!
We have been practicing outside since January in low 40's to low 50's in the sunshine. A warmer winter this year and we were happy for it as indoors is no replacement for the cleats on your feet and the dirt and turf being under it. Good times ahead! Good Luck everyone spring is around the corner.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
02 Crush, did you play in Ringgold? There were one or two Knoxville teams that played there this weekend. Our first tournament is supposed to be this weekend, but the weather forecast is a little soggy. Have to say I am a little jealous you are already playing.:)

No my man We were in town around Atlanta on the day.

Dec 7, 2011
It was probably reasonable but it just reads different. But I want to say that that is fantastic! Really that is huge!!!!! And her dad hasn't even messed her up :) Give him a pat on the back too!

DD just got a crazy knuckling rise that she can really mow 'em down with. She just needs a good catcher and a coach bold enough to use her strengths. New TB team this year appears to know how to use her. DD's rise mixed with drop-curve and that was the ticket.

Middle of last year DD figured out how to make daddy think she's listening to him but she just extracts the good stuff and "files" my craziness :)

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Good idea on the machines. May do that tomorrow indoors because of rain chances. We had all 4 pitchers today throwing high FB's and rise's ( really only 2 can throw a rise ). I wanted them to see where their individual strike zone will be, and where in the mid to early plate plane..........to recognize the trajectory of the pitch. ( ball or strike )

They want this particular game as bad as I do, we have struggled with this team since middle school. We usually split for the season ( play a home and home ) but I'm sick and tired of splitting!!!!!!!!

They are not in our district, but we do play them in the season. They are a cocky bunch. :mad:

Gonna put up my lucky avatar for this week!!

Wear your lucky underwear!

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
DGD moved up to 14u ball this year which I find depressing. No 1, I'm getting older and 2, they don't start playing until Mar 31. Her new team is coached by a HS coach and I don't know if he has the time or it is some rule for HS in our state. They are practicing on Sundays and comments from her are promising. She says the coach does not believe she is still in middle school (7th grade) and plays the way she does. My son said all the parents were great and had great comments about the coach. I can't wait until the season starts for us to get to meet new parents and kids, and of course SOFTBALL.

To get my fix, I did travel 4hrs to see her old team and my "adopted" DGDs play. They played up at 14u and went 2-1 in an umpire tune up tournament. It was great to see all the kids and how much they have grown since Nov. It was a nice relaxed atmosphere to rekindle friendships with the parents and the coaches. I can't wait for the fun to start in earnest!!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks Steve. It's not going to be an easy task, but I think we are up to the challenge. That D1 pitcher is a year older, and has been an off and on thorn in our side since 12U TB. She's about 5'11 tall slender muscular build, and throws about 63-64 with a killer rise. She won ASA Northern Nationals last year out of 60 teams. Her HS was runner up in state HS championships.

I'm going to fine tune BIG LEFTY all week. But just my luck............looking at the forecast.........thunderstorms Thursday night and all day Friday. I don't think that complex has tarps. :(

Well the rain held off.......cold but sunny.

Pretty good start, went 4-0-1 for today.

The BIG one went about as I expected, bunch of rise balls from the D1 signed. Ole Lefty did pretty good herself, got some ground outs, fly outs, and K's. The defense on both teams were very crisp, both pitchers gave up 3 hits a piece.

Final was 0-0........it was a drop dead by horn tournament.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Well the rain held off.......cold but sunny.
Pretty good start, went 4-0-1 for today.
The BIG one went about as I expected, bunch of rise balls from the D1 signed. Ole Lefty did pretty good herself, got some ground outs, fly outs, and K's. The defense on both teams were very crisp, both pitchers gave up 3 hits a piece.

Final was 0-0........it was a drop dead by horn tournament.

As I say to the players all the time....Well now that one is over let's work on the next one! 4 wins is a good start!
Glad you got it in this weekend. The SE was down from a ton or rain and tornado storms last night...Bummer.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you are keeping these stats manually I would HIGHLY suggest your team invest in an iPad (an iPhone or Android phone will work too) and get either Game Changer or iScore software.....there are positives and negatives of each. My DD team uses Game Changer, but I think it is because that is the program the guy scoring the games was most familiar with!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877