17 yr old Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This swing is not good. At all.

Post#1 swing much better. But the stride is bad.

View attachment 21822

At toe touch, notice the hips are angled up (bad), not flat (good).

This is because she is reaching with the front leg/foot to stride. Notice how her head/neck (yellow) have not traveled far from the back foot.

Take dry strides (no ball/tee) and learn to stride with the back leg. Don't reach with the front. Mark correct head location with tape, and look down after every stride.

Can you post the full clip with all the lines ?

This clip she swings "down to" from a leveraged position which is a check point I am looking for.. I prefer using the middle to control the move out vs the rear leg.. The rear leg is important but only part of the sequence of movements... Some attempt to slave all movements around the rear leg which is one of the largest black holes on these discussion boards. Kids end up becoming robotic and un-natural.

SzyBk5C.gif

I6kTszw.gif

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1) I prefer using the middle to control the move out vs the rear leg..
2)The rear leg is important but only part of the sequence of movements..

We might be saying the same thing.

When I say stride forward with the rear leg, I'm talking only about the forward motion toward the pitcher.

The coil itself (hips and shoulders) is around the spine (the middle), NOT around the rear leg.

I hope this clarifies what I'm saying. I should be more clear in the future. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2020

View attachment 21822

This is because she is reaching with the front leg/foot to stride. Notice how her head/neck (yellow) have not traveled far from the back foot.

Take dry strides (no ball/tee) and learn to stride with the back leg. Don't reach with the front. Mark correct head location with tape, and look down after every stride. Make sure the front leg is very bent at landing.

From a layman perspective, as I have been trying to eliminate my DDs front leg reach...
When I freeze the frame at heel plant her hips seem to have been rebounded to a more level to downward angle.
I don't think she necessarily strides with the front leg, but kinda hovers to explode whenever she needs to. She seems to ride the front leg ride, then explodes crazy powerfully, striding with her glutes. In the process her hips look to be angling up, but she is just wickedly in the process of a late coil, in which her head, hips, rear knee move forward. Sort of like the Pujols, D Wright hip action gifs I always see on here.

Is my observation off base? She looks very strong to me, but I am still very much learning.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Can you post the full clip with all the lines ?

This clip she swings "down to" from a leveraged position which is a check point I am looking for.. I prefer using the middle to control the move out vs the rear leg.. The rear leg is important but only part of the sequence of movements... Some attempt to slave all movements around the rear leg which is one of the largest black holes on these discussion boards. Kids end up becoming robotic and un-natural.

SzyBk5C.gif

I6kTszw.gif

just to be clear, is this the swing mechanics you after?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
just to be clear, is this the swing mechanics you after?

Mike, if she was getting leveraged fyb and swinging down to then yes I like her movement.. I was hoping to see the clip that efastball was using for comparison.. I know you said she struggled with ground balls with her game swing which is why I was hoping to see it.. I am guessing based on the ground ball comment she was abaf vs getting leveraged.

knzdEtX.gif

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California

View attachment 21822

Take dry strides (no ball/tee) and learn to stride with the back leg. Don't reach with the front. Mark correct head location with tape, and look down after every stride. Make sure the front leg is very bent at landing.

And at heel plant? I want the rear leg in control.

Attachments

• 8C8FD503-9A70-4E5E-AEE9-F8A9C90C8AAD.png
    8C8FD503-9A70-4E5E-AEE9-F8A9C90C8AAD.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 83D9109B-28A7-4911-A1CD-B0765F09E323.png
    83D9109B-28A7-4911-A1CD-B0765F09E323.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
Aug 20, 2017
And at heel plant? I want the rear leg in control.
This swing is in sequence. Back knee has moved forward before hands and shoulders indicating the lower is going to fire against a resisted upper. I agree with TDS in that I like FYB from a levered position with “down to.” One issue I’ve encountered with “down to” is the players get out of sequence (everything firing at the same time), becoming very rotational with a tendency to pull of the ball early. I can’t emphasize more that every hitter is different. Some need to work on “down to”, some need to work on tilt and getting behind the ball early. IMO Mike has appropriately diagnosed Haley’s needs and addressed them. Is what Mike has done with Haley gonna work with all the dd’s on this board or all the hitters coaches work with? No. The best coaches know hitters tendencies, know the hitters current mechanics, and know what mechanics need to be corrected to take a hitter to the next level.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
This swing is in sequence. Back knee has moved forward before hands and shoulders indicating the lower is going to fire against a resisted upper. I agree with TDS in that I like FYB from a levered position with “down to.” One issue I’ve encountered with “down to” is the players get out of sequence (everything firing at the same time), becoming very rotational with a tendency to pull of the ball early. I can’t emphasize more that every hitter is different. Some need to work on “down to”, some need to work on tilt and getting behind the ball early. IMO Mike has appropriately diagnosed Haley’s needs and addressed them. Is what Mike has done with Haley gonna work with all the dd’s on this board or all the hitters coaches work with? No. The best coaches know hitters tendencies, know the hitters current mechanics, and know what mechanics need to be corrected to take a hitter to the next level.

This was one of the 1st things I noticed with Haley. Here is one of her swings from June 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi