17 yr old Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
View attachment 22298

Here is the initial stance.

What direction will her body go (forward or backward), if she picks up her front knee:
1. with the back leg starting at the yellow line?
2. with the back leg starting at the green line? (or anywhere to the right of vertical)

Isaac Newton is your friend, use him :)

Once you learn to use gravity like this, you will next realize you are not coiling with the rear hip, but you should simply turn the entire torso inward (not just the shoulders) 45+ degrees as you fall forward.

When you focus on coiling with the rear hip (not optimal), you typically go backward over the foot to use the hip better.
I like this set up when learning how to control the forward move which is a major hurdle in the growth of a hitter. This set up allows the hitter to “feel” the rear leg controlling the forward move. Most young hitters do not control the stride. They just step, reach or lunge. Very little adjustability.

Jun 8, 2016
I like this set up when learning how to control the forward move which is a major hurdle in the growth of a hitter. This set up allows the hitter to “feel” the rear leg controlling the forward move. Most young hitters do not control the stride. They just step, reach or lunge. Very little adjustability.
What setup?

Aug 20, 2017
I’ll add that learning to get the front foot up (knee lift) while the pitcher is in her motion is imperative. We use this setup dry and freeze at toe touch focusing mainly on control with the rear leg. Once that’s established we will do the same adding the coil to the forward move freezing at toe touch. Do it 1000 times! Can address so many flaws by doing this: shoulder angle, maintaining coil, head staying down and many other stride flaws. Then to tees, then to front toss. On front toss I make the hitter knee lift as soon as I move. Many will get foot down too early in the beginning but eventually they start to feel the rear leg being in control. Once the hitter learns this they can allow the ball to get deep and have adjustability. Everything improves by doing this simple stuff over and over and over.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
View attachment 22298

Here is the initial stance.

What direction will her body go (forward or backward), if she picks up her front knee:
1. with the back leg starting at the yellow line?
2. with the back leg starting at the green line? (or anywhere to the right of vertical)

Isaac Newton is your friend, use him :)

Once you learn to use gravity like this, you will next realize you are not coiling with the rear hip, but you should simply turn the entire torso inward (not just the shoulders) 45+ degrees as you fall forward.

When you focus on coiling with the rear hip (not optimal), you typically go backward over the foot to use the hip better.

efastball,

So you want and like momentum? Not trying to set you up, just wondering if you like momentum.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
So you want and like momentum?
Not sure what you mean exactly. But, of course the stride generates momentum forward. The coil generates momentum around. Tip N Rip generates bat head momentum. Proper TTB generates bat head momentum. Conservation of Angular Momentum is obviously momentum - and maybe the most important one.

So, it seems like momentum is important.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
efastball,

So you want and like momentum? Not trying to set you up, just wondering if you like momentum.

I’ll bite

I’m looking for her to control the timing and launch of her swing with a burst at the right time including momentum that’s associated with the execution of her swing. Momentum is added to the swing but not the trigger of her swing.

One more thing,

I want her to leverage and launch from behind her rear hip making the front foot nothing more than a third leg on a tripod or a kickstand. The launch of her swing puts the foot down.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not sure what you mean exactly. But, of course the stride generates momentum forward. The coil generates momentum around. Tip N Rip generates bat head momentum. Proper TTB generates bat head momentum. Conservation of Angular Momentum is obviously momentum - and maybe the most important one.

So, it seems like momentum is important.

I think what your seeing in Haley is a hitter not trying to rely on momentum while doing a drill.

I think Mike answered correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah