17 players, 1 showcase team, 3,000 miles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So today, I'm watching a pretty well known showcase on one U.S. coast and I observe a team from the left coast with 17 players in the dugout, all of which are on the roster. ...

I'm sure they know what they're doing, but just curious as to how that works well for the players. Is it a good idea to travel that far on a team that big? Guess is depends on the number of coaches that have shown interest in the players.

Made me wonder it's supply and demand. Lots of great players in California, lots of programs on the other coast, so that becomes a really big showcase opportunity, so much so that 17 will hop the plane and go, even if limited playing time.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Who would try to field a competitive national travel team at 16U or 18U with less than 16 players? That makes no sense, injuries, substitutions, multiple pitchers. That's the minimum to compete if you're serious

Jun 3, 2015
There's a team in Arizona that carries a roster of close to 30. That's a crazy roster, but they're the best team in the state and that's why they can get away with it. Even if your kid sits, they can say they play on the best team in the state.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We went to Huntington Beach last November from the NE. There was a team we played that carried at least 18. After 3 or 4 innings the entire field changed. I mean everyone was replaced from the bench. If something like that happens I guess you could be ok with it. Me personally I like to see Boo getting at least 2/3's of the playing time and preferably 3/4.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
So today, I'm watching a pretty well known showcase on one U.S. coast and I observe a team from the left coast with 17 players in the dugout, all of which are on the roster. ...

I'm sure they know what they're doing, but just curious as to how that works well for the players. Is it a good idea to travel that far on a team that big? Guess is depends on the number of coaches that have shown interest in the players.

Made me wonder it's supply and demand. Lots of great players in California, lots of programs on the other coast, so that becomes a really big showcase opportunity, so much so that 17 will hop the plane and go, even if limited playing time.

We went to Huntington Beach last November from the NE. There was a team we played that carried at least 18. After 3 or 4 innings the entire field changed. I mean everyone was replaced from the bench. If something like that happens I guess you could be ok with it. Me personally I like to see Boo getting at least 2/3's of the playing time and preferably 3/4.

you must be at team Nj. If you are around late, Come find me tomorrow for the last game at field 5. I'll be wearing the USNA hat. Adult beveages after in the truck.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Two years ago at the IDT one very well known CA team had 28 girls in the dugout. Each organization only had one invite and I think they just brought both of their 16U teams as one. They had more girls on their bench when they were in the field than we did when we were batting.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Some of the marquee teams may have 2-3 "base bandits" with them at PGF whose only job is to pinch run...not sure if mom and dad are paying or if the organization is subsidizing their expenses, but finishing well at PGF is a big recruiting bonus for the organization.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am currently running with 17. Two pitch and sit. Another 2 will be injured, sick, wedding, etc. I have 3 that are signed 2016's. Add in the heat in Central Florida and there is plenty of time to go around.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, folks. Good answers. I understand the roster size, but just didn't expect perfect attendance for a cross-country trip that isn't a national championship. But as I said, not questioning it, just interested in how it works. DD is in a new organization where there are teams with smaller rosters, but they mix and match depending on the tournament. So they might take 16-17 to nationals, but it's one primary team and a few borrowed from other teams in the org. Most tournaments, they'll have only 12-13 players attending.