14yo LL Player sued by coach for celebration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
14-year-old Little Leaguer sued by coach for celebrating win | Foothills/Tahoe News - KCRA Home

"At first I thought it was joke," Paris said Tuesday. "Now, I think it's absurd."

Paris said his son was racing toward home plate to score the winning run during a Lakeside Little League game last spring when the boy threw off his helmet in celebration.

"He was so excited," Paris said.

In legal papers filed in court, the teen's former coach, Alan Beck, contends the boy "carelessly threw a helmet, striking Plaintiff's Achilles tendon and tearing it."

The legal filings show Beck is seeking $500,000 for pain and suffering, and more than $100,000 for lost wages and medical bills.

When contacted at his home, Beck declined to answer questions regarding his legal filing.

"I cannot comment until my attorney says it's OK," Beck said.

A voice mail left for the president of Lakeside Little League has not been returned.

"Unfortunately, it is Little League policy not to comment on any aspect of a pending legal action. Sorry I can’t be of any help," said Brian McClintock, Little League International's director of media relations.

Bill Portanova, a legal expert in Sacramento, told KCRA 3 that California law does allow children to be sued for their actions.

However, he said on a baseball field where there is an inherent risk of flying baseballs, bats and even helmets in the course of every game, proving the boy intended to injure, or knew his actions could cause injury, could be difficult.

"If he deliberately hurt somebody, then it's a stronger case and a stronger case that his parents could be held liable, but kids playing a kids' game in a contact sport -- and baseball is a contact sport -- that's going to be a tougher case," Portanova said.

Portanova pointed out that many homeowners' insurance policies can cover legal expenses in a case like this for the defendant.

However, Paris said he doesn't have homeowners insurance and can't afford to continue to fight this legal action much longer.

"I've already spent over $4,000 and we haven't even been in a courtroom yet," Paris said.

This case is scheduled to come before a judge in March.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Pathetic...but that's what the country has come to unfortunately. A lot of people looking for easy money.
Doubt he will get anything, but rediculous for even trying.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I feel bad for the guy's medical bills and lost wages as he's likely just a volunteer coach who got hurt but his law suit seems stupid and misplaced.

Jun 22, 2008
Ive seen kids flip off their helmet while running the bases, not sure I have ever seen one "throw" it off. Plus it would take a pretty good throw to rupture an achilles tendon, and this happened as the kid was racing toward the plate?

Nov 8, 2010
unreal

...guess I should have sued my daughter for that broken nose I got a couple of years ago at her pitching lesson!! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00