10U Rec League - 3 outs vs bat 10 rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It's insane that these different rules are not established in writing before the season begins. It's one thing to agree mid-game (usually during a blowout or especially long/bad game) to add a run limit or something if one doesn't exist. It's another entirely to just decide on the game's rules before each game.

Our league does a 5-run limit until the last inning. But our 10u is also 5 innings, coach pitch on walks. It's probably closer to 8u in other places.

Apr 23, 2020
Being the parent of a pitcher, I definitely prefer 3 outs per inning with a run limit. At 10u, even if your pitcher can throw strikes, she will still be looking at throwing 50-60 pitches per inning if you bat ten players in the inning. That is a lot of consecutive pitches for a ten-year-old who should be focusing on correct mechanics. I realize five runs walked in would be a very similar pitch count or even higher, but the pitcher who walks five runs in probably won't be pitching all four innings or however many you play. Hopefully, coaches in your league are throwing multiple girls when using the 10-batter rule, even if you have a dominant pitcher who can throw strikes.

Mar 28, 2014
Ok, so tonight we played the undefeated 1st place team, me and other coach go to home plate to agree on either 3 outs vs bat 10 = inning over. He was visitor, I was home. He was adamant we do 3 outs, I was adamant we did bat 10. Finally he walks off in a huff and said fine let's do 10 batters. In my view, it's more fair at this age and skill level to give each team a chance because let's be honest, we could have visiting team batting the entire time limit.
He made ugly comments the entire game, wouldn't be civil, and HE IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE LEAGUE !! We ended up winning by 1 , walked our 10th batter w bases loaded, he pulled his girls off before our runners even reached the next base...tried to cheapen the win as much as he could.
I'm so enraged and disappointed in his actions , not sure how I should handle it if I should do anything at all.
And not to mention there was several blatant bad calls going against us ...jeez man this ain't the world series, if you were truly here for the girls it would be a non-issue...
Leave it alone. He's the President. You won't accomplish anything positive by bringing it up to him or anyone else. It's 10u Rec. Move on with life.

May 6, 2015
Leave it alone. He's the President. You won't accomplish anything positive by bringing it up to him or anyone else. It's 10u Rec. Move on with life.
or get on board or run for prez yourself. this guy should be out, he is not trying to optimize the experience for all the kids (it is rec), which is pretty much the job description.

May 20, 2015
we switched over to 4 or 5 runs per inning or 3 outs.......keeps kids from getting bored, which can be a big hurdle at rec ball at the younger ages - we have a 1.5 hour time limit, and we find that getting more innings in makes for a better game than only playing 2/3 - keeps the game moving, let's girls play more positions, etc, etc.....we allow (3) innings max per pitcher, also

we allow 2 attempts from 3rd on passed balls per inning, also......we want to develop catchers, but we don't want it to turn into a $^itshow, either.......everyone must play at least 1 inning INF/1OF, continuous batting also

i can't imagine really being all that concerned with wins at 10u.....back in the day we had a friendly rivalry amongst coaches in the playoffs, and the kids generally wanted to win......but the developmental rules were far more important

May 6, 2015
yes, when we had run rules, they were spelled out in the league or interleague information each coach was sent at beginning of year.

Nov 22, 2019
Ok, so tonight we played the undefeated 1st place team, me and other coach go to home plate to agree on either 3 outs vs bat 10 = inning over. He was visitor, I was home. He was adamant we do 3 outs, I was adamant we did bat 10. Finally he walks off in a huff and said fine let's do 10 batters. In my view, it's more fair at this age and skill level to give each team a chance because let's be honest, we could have visiting team batting the entire time limit.
He made ugly comments the entire game, wouldn't be civil, and HE IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE LEAGUE !! We ended up winning by 1 , walked our 10th batter w bases loaded, he pulled his girls off before our runners even reached the next base...tried to cheapen the win as much as he could.
I'm so enraged and disappointed in his actions , not sure how I should handle it if I should do anything at all.
And not to mention there was several blatant bad calls going against us ...jeez man this ain't the world series, if you were truly here for the girls it would be a non-issue...

Seems like the 1st place team should get to choose the rules in the championship game if there was a disagreement.

Should be 3 outs with a 5 inning run limit.

Never heard of bat 10 batters. Seems totally unfair to have a 10 year old throw to 10 batters each inning, and throw 50-70 pitches an inning.

Sorry, think you are in the wrong.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Saw a group do coach pitch when a three ball count was reached. All the kids got to swing. Pretty cool stuff.

Think they were playing with all get to hit in an inning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802