14yo LL Player sued by coach for celebration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Or they file their own lawsuit in small claims court in an attempt to recoup their attorney fees for the frivolous lawsuit?
That would be nice. I'd like to see a lawyer post how realizable that would be. Even if they win, collecting a small claims judgement can be dicey.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I suspect this guy is out of a coaching gig. I know I wouldn't want the risk of having one of my kids playing for him.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I suspect this guy is out of a coaching gig. I know I wouldn't want the risk of having one of my kids playing for him.

Ya think?

After listening to the guy just dig himself deeper and deeper in that interview I hope he has nothing to do with kids ever again in the future.

His line about asking the kids family if they had a homeowners policy that would cover expenses for him was crazy. Guy is a Dr (or chiropractor or some such) doesn't the dude have his own policy?

And "Shep" who kept hammering over "wait your expenses are under $10K but you're suing this kid for $600K" was priceless. I don't usually care for FOX but his questions and calling the dude on his BS were priceless.

Feb 7, 2013
Let me play devil's advocate here. Why shouldn't the kids homeowner's policy cover the coaches injuries. Doesn't the family have an obligation to try and help the person that their son injured? I know if one of my family members injured someone else that I would take responsibility for my kid's actions (whether it was an accident or not) and go through my own homeowners insurance or at least work out some sort of restitution for the coaches medical bills or help pay the coaches deductible for his homeowners insurance claim or do something.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Let me play devil's advocate here. Why shouldn't the kids homeowner's policy cover the coaches injuries. Doesn't the family have an obligation to try and help the person that their son injured? I know if one of my family members injured someone else that I would take responsibility for my kid's actions (whether it was an accident or not) and go through my own homeowners insurance or at least work out some sort of restitution for the coaches medical bills or help pay the coaches deductible for his homeowners insurance claim or do something.
I hear you but have you listened to the d-Bag's interview yet? You might change your mind on this.

And yes if was intentional I agree with you but this sounds more and more like the guy tripped over a loose helmet (in March), coached for 12 weeks, got some therapy in the summer, had surgery in December and now wants to cash in on an incident that happened 10 months ago.

Rather than sue the kid, going to the league under their liability policy to cover unreimbursed medical bills seems like a more reasonable course of action. Maybe he tried that first and got nowhere but doesn't sound like it.

But the size of the initial law suit at $600K sounds a lot more like he was trying to cash in on a fast buck than cover his medical bills.

Feb 7, 2013
Sweet Lou - thanks for the clarification of the facts, I had only read one of the articles and didn't know all of the facts. I guess its a sore spot for me because I had a neighbor's tree cause $2600 of damage to my car and they didn't want to pay the full amount of the cost of repair and didn't want to go through their own homeowners insurance because they were concerned that their rates would rise or might have their coverage dropped for making a claim. I ended up paying for half the repairs costs because I didn't want to have a "war" with my next door neighbor over $1,300 which would have happened had I gone through my homeowners insurance company, who would have done subrogation (basically gone after the neighbor to recoup their losses) and I would have had to pay a $500 deductible anyways. I was just very disappointed in this neighbors lack of taking any real responsibility for the incident.

Re: the original post, if the coach tripped and caused the accident than I agree he should not be suing.

Apr 11, 2012
I question the ability of this helmet to cause a 2 inch tear in his achilles tendon. I have no medical background but it just seems a stretch. I would love for a medical expert to weigh in on the plausibility of this injury occurring this way. Seems to me it would have to have been done with quite a bit of force but again, I don't know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00