14u Baily hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Here is a recent clip of my DD and the rear leg coil was a big part of it. There are still major improvements to be made. This was her first BP focused on scap usage into the launch.

- I think her rear leg was too passive. I don't think she was IR'ing into her rearward coil very hard.
- Her launch had a hitch. Her hands had to "find" the right place to launch from. She should have been there already.
- Her launch should have been deeper, more rearward. This with more IR could have created a corner.
- Her bat tip and move out were separate actions. I don't feel that the actions that tipped her bat loaded her nor did it control her move out.
- The actions that tipped her bat were not tied back to her rear leg coil. She was slipping somewhere.

Baily_clipped.gif

She is not swinging like this in a game yet. A lot of work left to do.

May 3, 2014
Her tip is controlled by her wrists. I would start there. And no, it shouldn't be controlled by the shoulder blade.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Thanks for the comments FFS.

Is she trying to keep her weight back?

m9q90y.gif

Not necessarily. I'm working with her to maintain her rear leg coil as she strides, but I do want forward momentum.

Learning to control the move out is hard and needs work. That's where I was going with the comment on her barrel tip not loading or control her move out. Her move out was more of a regular stride as opposed to something that would deepen her coil and load her.

Also, one thing that she needs to work on is timing. With the swing mechanic we have been working on, she is able to hit line drives slightly opposite field on balls deep into the contact zone. With her old mechanic (which is her typical game swing), she has to go out and get the ball. If she lets it get deep, she'll just blast it down the 3rd base line.

The cut above was her first good effort at this mechanic. She still hasn't learned how to time it better thus her stride was way out in front for what we are trying to accomplish.

What I see is the hips opening from the beginning and into her stride.

I see some initial front side opening, but I do not see it as an intentional effort to open. Her front knee at the beginning of the clip is just sloppily IR'd. It was not contributing to anything constructive...not that it couldn't be used for additional load if developed. There wasn't any intentional front side work being done.

Later in the clip when you drop the red lines, her front side does to open a frame ahead of her scap launch. It opens into toe touch.
That is not the objective. It could be due to all the slop in the IR move. She has loose joints and her front knee just about falls into IR... I'm not a fan of her doing it. It is possible that she still used that as a mental trigger to "go". If so, this is definitely not what I want... It could also have been due to her being so early. Either way, not what we are working on.

Can you explain how the coil was being instructed?

Right now, we are working on rear leg coil pulling the rear hip around the rear leg. We are working on engaging lower back and core muscles and using them to pull it even tighter. We are working to clamp the scap and pull tighter more. Our goal is to pull it all even tighter as she strides which should help control the move out.

In the clip above, at best she initially coiled. She was not pulling back and clearly didn't launch back.

I think she did do a good job of trying to maintain her rear leg coil. Even if she wasn't pulling back into it, she did not "give it up" as far as I can see.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Jryan, IMO something is definitely wrong if you’ve been at HI for over a year, have personally worked with TM, and this here is the current swing.

m9q90y.gif

You have made several comments above ... and each would need time to discuss. Ranging from making the 'move out' overly complicated and confusing for your daughter … to the point where she is out of sequence … to the topic of needing to work on her timing … but working on timing without correcting the sequence would be a futile effort … her barrel tip is another potential topic of discussion … the focus on the scap is another potential topic … the lack of her frontside usage, which for many is a no-teach, but can become a teach if basic movement patterns are lost, is yet another potential topic … to having a preset coil and uncoiling from there.

I’m sorry … but you may have presented a bit of a spaghetti based mess that will take some effort to untangle.

I'm extremely busy at the moment ... or otherwise I'd engage in some of her swing issues.

I sincerely wish you and your daughter the best.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Ranging from making the 'move out' overly complicated and confusing for your daughter … to the point where she is out of sequence … to the topic of needing to work on her timing … but working on timing without correcting the sequence would be a futile effort …

I'm afraid that if you are teaching a swing sequence you are the one who is in trouble.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ranging from making the 'move out' overly complicated and confusing for your daughter … to the point where she is out of sequence … to the topic of needing to work on her timing … but working on timing without correcting the sequence would be a futile effort …

I'm afraid that if you are teaching a swing sequence you are the one who is in trouble.

I can see why TM is struggling with your daughter.

Hope it all works out well for her.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Teacherman: Attack Oppo - YouTube
I hope no one tries to teach there kid this...
Please don't go down the rabbit hole.

Look up Bustos freak series DVD for instruction or try RVP instructional tape for information.

Be cool to go to this: Multiple gold medals athletes...
I wish I could send every girl l I work with to this

West Valley Girls Softball |

LikeLike · · Share

And yet, my DD Laura is doing quite well....
College showcase at Va. Beach 5 games was 7 for 13 with 1 walk. No strike outs.
Just from reading the HI Blog.....To each his/her own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12