14 yoa pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

stv

May 12, 2010
Shes taking a step before each pitch. Change to a rock back. Her leg drive looks better in the first pitch.
She looks like she's forcing her finish with her arm. Like trying to do something on purpose. Looks like grab the net technique.
Hard to tell with the quality of the video but it also looks like she could be open more.
Keep that lower half in time with the arm like in the first pitch.
All in all not to bad though. All girls have things their working on.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
First looks good. Like the stride, like the release

Two things...

1. Her feet are really wide at the start - are they more than rubber width apart (looks like it). Might be worth drawing a rubber on the mat to make sure her feet are starting on the rubber. Simple thing, but when you walk into the game to pitch, the starting position does effect balance and the pitch. Best to be practicing exactly what you will be pitching.

2. She is walking into her pitch. Her right feet looks like it completely comes off the rubber and replants before she strides. It may be the quality of the video or even just because she is inside, but if you put your mouse cursor on her right foot at the beginning of the pitch you will see her foot is a good distance in front of the cursor before she strides. It looks to b way more than just lifting the front of the foot and then putting it back down.

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
The 2nd pitch was a change-up. She didn't do a great job on that pitch. Timing is off a little. Normally she doesn't take that step. May have something to do with her not pitching from a rubber. Thanks for input. I will try and get better video now that I know how to post them (1st time).

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
A better video would definitely help. Like the stride too but can't tell if she is leaping or not. I don't see many teen pitchers have a high knee stride. Did she take dancing before?

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
A better video would definitely help. Like the stride too but can't tell if she is leaping or not. I don't see many teen pitchers have a high knee stride. Did she take dancing before?

She has never danced. We keep an eye on stride leg. It seems to get to high at times causing a timing issue. She has a tendancy to be to aggresive with her stride (feet get to wide). She is an 8th grader and is working hard to improve. She has been pretty succesful, but knows she needs to get better. Thanks for input.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, you are barking up the wrong tree.

The benefits from working to optimize her motion aren't worth the time. From here on out, she should work on control, movement, increasing speed and changing speeds.

Her progress is going to depend more upon her pitching coach and her own interest and desire in becoming a better pitcher. About the only thing a dad can do at this point is catch her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm sure other's have been through this but the question about the wide stride?

At 13-14 most girls are hitting a growth spurt. Some get a little clumsy if they grow several inches quickly. I had a pitcher who was pretty dominate at 10-12U. ( 5'3 ) Then she started growing and growing. She was very inconsistent and uncoordinated until she stopped growing at late 15YO. ( now 6' ) She is just now starting to pitch dominate again.

Her timing of the stride is what she struggled with, too long too short, no resistance, yada yada. Seemed like she grew every other weekend.

Last edited:

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
IMHO, you are barking up the wrong tree.

The benefits from working to optimize her motion aren't worth the time. From here on out, she should work on control, movement, increasing speed and changing speeds.

Her progress is going to depend more upon her pitching coach and her own interest and desire in becoming a better pitcher. About the only thing a dad can do at this point is catch her.

We do work on control, movement, increase speed and changing speeds. It looks like to me optimizing her motion will help in all those areas. And I also think a dad can help a lot besides just catching. Especially if they are knowledgeable about pitching. She does see a pitching coach and works well with the coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00