12YO DD Help (Updated 13yo now)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
get her chest over the plate. Get ‘back’ in the s plane. Not the frontal. her head is over her back hip when she launches. I think that cleans up swinging before leveraged. she uses her hands good.

edit: try the bucket drill w Carlton salters. That should do it.
Will certainly try that drill. Have used it before without the bucket. She doesn't get head that far back in game swings. We have mostly been working on cleaning up the hand path doing the Bond drill (with variations). What struck me was her attack angle is -14 which means she's 14 degrees downward at impact. That seems off by looking at video. We have been working to get between 2-6 degrees. Ive noticed that when attack angle is closer to zero her time to contact is quicker. Hand speed and bat speed have also increased as attack angle has gotten closer to zero.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Will certainly try that drill. Have used it before without the bucket. She doesn't get head that far back in game swings. We have mostly been working on cleaning up the hand path doing the Bond drill (with variations). What struck me was her attack angle is -14 which means she's 14 degrees downward at impact. That seems off by looking at video. We have been working to get between 2-6 degrees. Ive noticed that when attack angle is closer to zero her time to contact is quicker. Hand speed and bat speed have also increased as attack angle has gotten closer to zero.

in order to get the bat to turn up and get a positive attack angle, without compensations the front foot has to be leveraged. So the pelvis can create the angle. so it could be just a tee swing. is it happening in front toss as well?

Aug 20, 2017
Awesome stuff kiddo. Noticed her front shoulder may be spinning rather than going up to clear for hand path. May have something to do with posture.

Notice front shoulder at 55 seconds of the Romero video.

Agree and I think that’s a byproduct of changing the hand path some. I think we got the hands working better so now gonna work on keeping shoulders and hips level

Aug 20, 2017
in order to get the bat to turn up and get a positive attack angle, without compensations the front foot has to be leveraged. So the pelvis can create the angle. so it could be just a tee swing. is it happening in front toss as well?
It’s like she’s got 3 swings lol. Front toss, tee, game swing. I’ll get some front toss video of her in next day or so and post it

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Lots of problems with the swing in post#69, but are easily fixed.

Here she is during the stride. She goes back (bad)(green), instead of forward (good), and her head is well behind her back foot.
2021-0512-3-001.jpg

Here she is at toe touch. Her head is barely past her back foot (bad)(green), and it should be at the yellow (good).
2021-0512-4-001-001.jpg

Notice the rear forearm is not flat (red), the bat head is mostly flat (blue) and should be abt 50 deg upward, and her hips are at an angle(purple)(bad), because she went all back during the stride and reaches with her front leg (bad), vs the back leg (good)

It's a simple fix to start. Simply do some dry drills (no ball/tee), and work on striding her hips forward from the start. Pick up the front leg, and immediately go forward, do not reach with the front leg. Make sure her head is 4-5 inches further out each stride. Look down each time to see where she is.

Then go from there.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like what has been mentioned.

I’ll only add this for now is she needs to coil with the back hip pocket moving towards the pitcher. Most of what has been mentioned is because there is “NO” coil of the spirals. She is just creating movement with nothing happening under the hood (stride foot moves forward as the hands stay back).

She needs to coil, lower and upper. Get those spirals working and connected from the toes to the head/finger tips.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just to add to the coil, you want to screw the back foot into the ground. Feeling the spirals through the leg. Screw it towards the catcher feeling.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
After watching it again, she tries to coil. It just is more of ABAF move. When watching it at full speed I don’t get the feeling of a recoil action. It’s more of the look, instead of the feeling.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32