12u pitcher advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
I think it looks like you guys are off to a great start. I'm not looking at drive at this point since you are just showing us a drill and not a full pitch. I think working on stabilizing the elbow close to the ribs when the ball is down to 9 o'clock would be my priority to try to facilitate brush.

Also in the second drill that you posted it almost looks like she is trying to push the ball down the back of the circle initially instead of lead with the hand down the back of the circle . . . but maybe I'm just not seeing well??

Yes, I believe she still is trying to push it down, want her to lead with the pinkie. We want ball to 3rd at 9 o'clock, we will work on getting the elbow closer to the side also. DD lost about 4-5mph trying to pitch I/R, trying to get it back while doing the right thing. Thanks for the feedback, trying to improve each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
We want ball to 3rd at 9 o'clock

Get the ball to the sky as much as possible at 9:00. That should be the goal. Any degree of more toward the sky and less toward third is desirable. The more to the sky the better. Some that are incredibly flexible, like Ueno, actually go past ball to the sky and angle it slightly toward first.

Start at the 9:00 position with the ball to the sky and a slight bend in the arm. Now drive the point of the elbow into the side (adduction), letting the lower arm stay relaxed and loose. Drive the elbow, stabilize the upper arm against the side, and let the IR of the forearm happen, don't force it. During the rotation, rip the fingers through the ball and let a loose, natural follow throughost occur. This is the base of the whip action that is so important. I personally would not move forward until that motion is mastered.

Also on her glove side. She's basically just jabbing the glove at the catcher. Turn the glove palm up, drive that glove elbow into the core of the body (adduction) and even let the glove IR, much like the pitching side. The body loves to work in symmetry and using the glove arm like the pitching arm will actually make things easier.

DD lost about 4-5mph trying to pitch I/R, trying to get it back while doing the right thing. Thanks for the feedback

She lost that speed because she isn't utilizing IR correctly. She is still largely pushing the ball and isn't catching any of the whip action that IR creates. It is a flaw in the technique that honestly starts with pointing the ball toward third at 9:00. In my opinion with the ball in that position you cannot have an explosive whip action simply because there is no load or resistance.

Last edited:
May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Thank you for the feedback. Here is a tick tock drill trying to get more flex in the arm, any improvement?

https://vimeo.com/197153896

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
She looks really close to getting it right on the pull down. It looks to me from the video that she gets the ball pointed too much to second base as she starts the pull down from twelve to nine. What I have my pitchers do when I see this to reinforce and feel the correct palm up position at nine o'clock is to have them pull the ball down from twelve to nine twice and stop each time with the ball in the correct palm up position at nine then on the third time complete the drill. Most pitchers get pushy with the ball in these drills because they want to throw the ball hard and the tendency is to get their hand on top of the ball too quickly. I tell them to relax and don't worry about how hard they throw, just get the mechanics right. Feel the pull not the push. I remember Boardmember always said don't worry about ball flight that goes low and right that is a sure sign they are getting the IR correct.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The arm is what jumps out at me. Needs more bend and palm to the sky. Go through the early part of the IR sticky. Several good drills there. All of Java's stuff is good. https://youtu.be/5T4Jd7GKg5Q

Lots of good input. I'll second the info from these videos. /\

Another take on what's been suggested: Get things loose by keeping everything in motion--avoid starting from static poses, although occasionally stopping and looking is ok. Look back at the 9 o'clock position if needed to see if you're mostly palm up. I'd suggest swinging up together and pulling down together. Keep the lower arm loose and hanging from the elbow. Don't look at the target, just whip the ball out of the hand using brush as a trigger. If it helps, close the eyes and just feel it. Pull the ball down into lock (elbow tucked behind the hip) and let the lower arm wrap and roll around the thigh to trigger release. Wear baggy pants or shorts and feel the pinky brush the cloth.

I need to redo this (and get a hair cut) but this is kinda what I'm wanting to see happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjLRci9P-c

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Lots of good input. I'll second the info from these videos. /\

Another take on what's been suggested: Get things loose by keeping everything in motion--avoid starting from static poses, although occasionally stopping and looking is ok. Look back at the 9 o'clock position if needed to see if you're mostly palm up. I'd suggest swinging up together and pulling down together. Keep the lower arm loose and hanging from the elbow. Don't look at the target, just whip the ball out of the hand using brush as a trigger. If it helps, close the eyes and just feel it. Pull the ball down into lock (elbow tucked behind the hip) and let the lower arm wrap and roll around the thigh to trigger release. Wear baggy pants or shorts and feel the pinky brush the cloth.

I need to redo this (and get a hair cut) but this is kinda what I'm wanting to see happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjLRci9P-c

Hey, Ken.....

I can dance too. LOL!

However, you're a lot younger. And, you have hair on the top of your head. LOL!

Jun 19, 2013
It's nice to have the Mutual Admiration Society working to help the newbies instead of the Let's Beat the Crap Out of Each Other crew that can be on other forums :)

Sep 28, 2015
jsoftballcoach,
Great advice given and in the context of staying loose and whippy, I would add that sometimes it is easier to see and feel the whip by throwing a lighter object that is not easily muscled. Try balled up socks (great for in the house) or the TCB whiffles (playing catch in garage) and she will SEE the difference in speed and associate the feel.

John

Sep 3, 2015
Thank you all for the great feedback, we have made some progress but I guess old habits die hard. It's easy to explain and hear her say that she gets it but another thing for her to actually do it.

I think showing the ball to home at 12 may help her stay palm up at 9.

Latest clip

https://vimeo.com/197320337

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06