12u - Latest Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
for those that are not sure of the term "dosiflex" of the wrists.

dorsiflexion-of-right-wrist-250.jpg

sarP5235.jpg

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
And I am one of them.....:eek:
Bold above is the reason I went back and re-read all of 1chapterhead posts on BBD. A hitter can 'over do' the 'turn the barrel to the ball'. There are some posters that have been down the same paths as 'us'. I felt there was a lesson to be learned with possible 'over doing' some things. Again JMHO.

What does over doing "turn the barrel to the ball" look like?

I think I kind of coined that phrase like a year ago. I just would like to see what over doing getting the barrel to the ball looks like, and maybe some of these posters that went down that path and over did it could call me and help me out.

Ah. You know me, I am just being a smart az! I think maybe in retirement I will start posting again. If anything it could call out and distract the total bull that is on twitter....bunch of vague posts to drive sales of products and services that are vague about hitting, that promise updates and personal sevices that they never follow up on.

"If you are not on time, then you are off time". Send me $50...WAIT $20 in the next 10 minutes!
(Now 20 of you need to thank my post and I will thank yours and we will all profit)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Bd, Just looking at FFS posts in the last couple days now, I think they are pretty spot on. I like Howe talking of being short to long also, especially of "just telling to turn the barrel", ya can't just 'tell' anybody anything....got to show them.

Oct 26, 2012
We took a few more cuts today. Worked on some FbC. Looks a little better.... I think.

still need to work on letting the ball get deeper and attacking oppo a bit.

She still seems to square up everything and to me it seems and sounds explosive when she hits the ball. She obviously is very used to my pitching..... I think I must tip my change up because she seems to drill it every time.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2013
Her swing at the beginning of this thread is much better than the latest video. The only change I would recommend at this point would be a little narrower stance and a slower load. The narrower stance will allow her to maintain her leverage better and she will be able to reach and drive outside pitches easier. The slower load and more meaningful weight transfer will result in more immediate bat speed and power. I would also recommend allowbg her bat to finish more powerfully. She has great (full) extension at impact, but breaks her wrists a little too early. Overall, she has a great swing. My advice would be to go back to the swing she had in your initial post. In the last video, she had more moving parts in her sent and it look less powerful and repeatable.

Oct 25, 2009
We took a few more cuts today. Worked on some FbC. Looks a little better.... I think.

still need to work on letting the ball get deeper and attacking oppo a bit.

She still seems to square up everything and to me it seems and sounds explosive when she hits the ball. She obviously is very used to my pitching..... I think I must tip my change up because she seems to drill it every time.

The FBC is better but she loses it by opening too soon. I believe that is caused by the stride foot opening too straight. Is that done for a particular reason?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The FBC is better but she loses it by opening too soon. I believe that is caused by the stride foot opening too straight. Is that done for a particular reason?

I'm seeing the same issues, with a slight improvement in the tension level of the upper inside thigh of the rear leg.

Petricca is correct about a "slower load".

Tempo is important. I watched batters face 97mph today ... and despite the speed, tempo was still important.

Players that can slowly move out have a better chance of covering both sides of the plate and an off-speed pitch. It is important to remain in control of your body during the move out. I can't say enough about the importance of the inner/upper thigh tension and the riding of the rear leg forward .... there is value in the "feel" of riding the rear leg/hip/thigh during the move out, and you want to do that slow & under control. It can have the "feel" of energy storage ... or a gathering of energy. Often you will see hip flexion, not hip extension as we see in BD's DD.

Noon's recommended drill has value. It can be used to help get the tempo and find the rear hip coil.

2mevo29.gif

The issue with the excessive 'around' remains.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619