12U Hitting "Slump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would prefer an out from swing like the one on the left. Check the elbow spacing compared to right side
Zb7eKv.gif
j9d0c6.gif

Ray,
You're 'preaching to the 'choir' on this advice But, your last 2 advices(deceleration & the 'bop' the catcher in the head during the throw the bat drill) missed the mark for me. Again JMHO as a dad with one 'student'(a DD).

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not IMO. I have contact hitters (i.e., hitters that routinely shoot for line-drive doubles to the gaps) and decelerating the barrel into & through impact isn't in their swing mechanic.

This results from being trained by someone that lacks an misunderstanding of how a barrel is squared by a barrel pivoting about the hands/wrists.

Not my definition of a 'contact hitter' a gap to gap hitter. Contact hitter to me is a hitter who stops their swing at contact. A hitter is is happy to just make contact, stop bat and hope they are safe a first. But, OK.

May 3, 2014
Ray,
You're 'preaching to the 'choir' on this advice But, your last 2 advices(deceleration & the 'bop' the catcher in the head during the throw the bat drill) missed the mark for me. Again JMHO as a dad with one 'student'(a DD).

I don't teach or talk about deceleration. Just making an observation on that swing (I have seen other swings of hers and don't see that). As far as bopping the catcher on the head I was once against it. But, it is the correct cue for the forearms if you want to swing out from. You have to totally buy in and kill the shoulders so that it makes sense. And at first it will feel very armsy and disconnected.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't teach or talk about deceleration. Just making an observation on that swing (I have seen other swings of hers and don't see that). As far as bopping the catcher on the head I was once against it. But, it is the correct cue for the forearms if you want to swing out from. You have to totally buy in and kill the shoulders so that it makes sense. And at first it will feel very armsy and disconnected.

Again, I agree with you but, the subject was the 'throw the bat drill'. I was in disagreement of 'bopping' the catcher during this drill. Uptuck yes...throw the bat drill no. We can agree to dis-agree. We are still on the same page. For the record my DD doesn't do the 'throw the bat drill' any more we're past that. I was just thinking of the other possible readers/lurkers if they're any left.

May 3, 2014
No worries. I just think a hitter would gain more of an understanding where the all in should be if the bat bops the catcher instead of thinking the goal is to throw out front. We can certainly disagree!!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
No worries. I just think a hitter would gain more of an understanding where the all in should be if the bat bops the catcher instead of thinking the goal is to throw out front. We can certainly disagree!!

Again, you are missing the point. We were discussing the 'throw the bat drill'. You are/were talking about a different 'aspect' of teaching the swing...which I agree with.
instead of thinking the goal is to throw out front.
I can't let this slide. So, I can't 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball' with it being thrown out front.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad