12U Hitting "Slump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
To stay on that pitch she needed to decelerate. Almost like trying to check the swing but way too late in the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
To stay on that pitch she needed to decelerate. Almost like trying to check the swing but way too late in the swing.

When you teach such a push-like swing, which I generally refer to as 'clubbing', you build-in barrel deceleration into the swing. The hitter then must swing with the built-in deceleration that they have embedded into their swing.

Push_It_Hard.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe a pull hitter, who stepped open, and this was the only 'adjustment' she knew how to make to keep the bat in the zone longer.
POEwTx.gif

A hitter who knows how to hit the ball where it's pitched.
giphy.gif

I don't know about this 'deceleration' that you speak of. I'm thinking you may be confusing that the swing is on 'auto pilot' after launch but, not decelerating going into the ball. Even after launch of the swing there still is some 'fine tuning' adjustments made toward/to the ball. Not something I would be 'teaching'(deceleration). Again I could be wrong.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When you teach such a push-like swing, which I generally refer to as 'clubbing', you build-in barrel deceleration into the swing. The hitter then must swing with the built-in deceleration that they have embedded into their swing.

Push_It_Hard.gif

That's training a hitter to be a contact hitter in MHO.

May 3, 2014
Maybe a pull hitter, who stepped open, and this was the only 'adjustment' she knew how to make to keep the bat in the zone longer.
POEwTx.gif

giphy.gif

I don't know about this 'deceleration' that you speak of. I'm thinking you may be confusing that the swing is on 'auto pilot' after launch but, not decelerating going into the ball. Even after launch of the swing there still is some 'fine tuning' adjustments made toward/to the ball. Not something I would be 'teaching'(deceleration). Again I could be wrong.

I wouldn't teach it either. You know the college strike zone is chalk to chalk so getting to that pitch would require some sort of adjustment.

May 3, 2014
I would prefer an out from swing like the one on the left. Check the elbow spacing compared to right side
Zb7eKv.gif
j9d0c6.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
POEwTx.gif

giphy.gif

The act of stopping the barrel from pivoting around the hands results in the barrel decelerating.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That's training a hitter to be a contact hitter in MHO.

Not IMO. I have contact hitters (i.e., hitters that routinely shoot for line-drive doubles to the gaps) and decelerating the barrel into & through impact isn't in their swing mechanic.

This results from being trained by someone that lacks an misunderstanding of how a barrel is squared by a barrel pivoting about the hands/wrists.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414