12U Hitting "Slump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_oqovjks4Vr1usf292o1_400.gif

Someones going to have to 'educate' themselves on the proper sequence, you or the hitting coach. If my DD it would be me...because it seems the hitting coach has a different 'goal'.
tumblr_oqov29VTYO1usf292o1_400.gif

Someones going to have to address this bat drag. Among-st other things...
Also went over that her goal was to get get at least one hard hit
My goal would be the proper sequence which will have her playing past 12u......
Remember it's a marathon not a race.
So we keep going down that path,
If my DD I be taken a different path but, that's me.......good luck with what ever path you take.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
It's more noticeable in the gif - but look at her front ankle buckle outward during the swing. Someone more experienced than me can probably identify it better, but it looks like either her leg or hips are trying to rotate further, but are blocked by her front foot landing more closed.

Can't tell from the camera angle, but her foot should land around 45 degrees open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2015
A lot of stuff happening. No particular order - 1. Striding towards 3rd. Stride towards pitcher/legs and shoulder on same plane. 2. Back elbow dropping down and ahead of her wrist/causes flat or loopy swing. First move is to pull the bat thru the strike zone at no time should her elbow be ahead of her wrist. 3. Her front foot spins and releases-improper weight transfer. Should solidly be on her front foot when done swinging foot planted. 4. Moving laterally/swaying vs rotating on her base. Might be cause she has no foundation under her upper body throwing her off balance. Pick one thing to work on. Sometimes this will correct them all.

Good Luck!!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
2 parts to the swing, Prepare to swing and then swing. She is swinging and shifting (start the back slotting to soon). The back elbow shouldn't start until you begin to "sit" into rotation. So she needs to work on rhythm and timing, 2 parts to the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2 parts to the swing, Prepare to swing and then swing. She is swinging and shifting (start the back slotting to soon). The back elbow shouldn't start until you begin to "sit" into rotation. So she needs to work on rhythm and timing, 2 parts to the swing.

This girl is missing a critical feel relative to rear arm usage. She likely feels that her hands are "the last to go" ... with a sense of rear arm being weightless & loosey-goosey. She likely has a feel of the hands staying back while her rear arm folds into a vee-formation with the elbow leading ... what some believe to be 'bat drag', but what isn't actually 'bat drag' ... and she relies on this vee-formation to power/fling her barrel forward. She powers her hands forward via a 'sling' process. She is a 'slinger', not a 'swinger'. She 'slings' the barrel forward to impact. She has become dependent on this slinging action to power her swing and likely isn't even aware of the loosey-goosey rear arm action that takes place simply to put her in a position to sling the barrel. Missing is the feel of energy flow that has the rear arm 'starting' to lower via adduction, with the flow of energy having the rear forearm supinate. I hear you about the sequence being an issue. Yes, the sequence is important ... the action of the rear arm is enhanced with the proper leading of the lower body and associated core action ... but simply improving the sequence won't help this girl if she doesn't capture the feel of proper rear arm usage.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This girl is missing a critical feel relative to rear arm usage. She likely feels that her hands are "the last to go" ... with a sense of rear arm being weightless & loosey-goosey. She likely has a feel of the hands staying back while her rear arm folds into a vee-formation with the elbow leading ... what some believe to be 'bat drag', but what isn't actually 'bat drag' ... and she relies on this vee-formation to power/fling her barrel forward. She powers her hands forward via a 'sling' process. She is a 'slinger', not a 'swinger'. She 'slings' the barrel forward to impact. She has become dependent on this slinging action to power her swing and likely isn't even aware of the loosey-goosey rear arm action that takes place simply to put her in a position to sling the barrel. Missing is the feel of energy flow that has the rear arm 'starting' to lower via adduction, with the flow of energy having the rear forearm supinate. I hear you about the sequence being an issue. Yes, the sequence is important ... the action of the rear arm is enhanced with the proper leading of the lower body and associated core action ... but simply improving the sequence won't help this girl if she doesn't capture the feel of proper rear arm usage.

I would've said she needs more scap loading as well. Although according to some there is no such thing as scap loading. However like your post there is something missing in the back arm.

May 3, 2014
Scap loads the rear leg. So, in a sense there is scap loading. I just don't like the term scap loading because it leads people to believe the scap unloads. It doesn't.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Scap loads the rear leg. So, in a sense there is scap loading. I just don't like the term scap loading because it leads people to believe the scap unloads. It doesn't.

That's the point some miss.
Wright_highback.gif

Wright isn't 'unloading' his scap. Wright is 'swinging with his back' if he 'unloaded' his scap he would be swinginging with his chest.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Correct.

If the "scap loading" means the scap pulls into the spine (retraction) then people will assume to swing you push the scap away from the spine. Instead you keep pulling the scap back as you swing which keeps loading the rear leg. The scap then has the feeling of driving down the spine.

May 3, 2014
And to further the importance of not unloading the scap - the scap staying back influences whether the swing orbits around the rear leg or not. And the quickest way the barrel gets into the hitting zone (and gives you the longest possible read time) is having a rear leg axis.

If you release/unload the scap you are pushing the swing forward and create a front leg or spinal axis. Both of which are substandard to the rear leg axis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad