12 U bunt cover

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
The catcher is the only one who has the ball, the fielders, and the runners in full frontal view and therefor should be the one directing the play. This is the reason its uniformly done this way at older levels so its the way I would start teaching at younger levels. Hardest thing to teach about this actually is having the coaches keep quiet DURING the play!

That is exactly what I teach my kids. I have to disagree about the hardest thing though. The hardest thing is to get the catcher to open her mouth loud enough to be heard at the younger levels. Then it's putting the sock in the coaches mouth. The next hardest thing is to get the kids ears tuned to listen to the catcher and trusting the catcher.

During college my daughter was fielding a bunt and went to 2nd with it. The coach was yelling for 1st from the dugout during the play. The runner was safe at 2nd and the coach asked my daughter why she went to 2nd. The catcher immediately said "I called two Coach." The coach said "OK" and left it at that because that is what the players were trained to do. My daughter trusted her catcher to make the call on where the play was going.

May 11, 2009
Our catcher is calling the throw but our third baseman is calling the pickup. 3B is the one crashing the hardest and fastest. She is also who will be making the play well over 50% of the time. That is just how we do it. Right or wrong in your opinion does not matter as this has worked for us for a long time.
Yes keeping everyone's mouths shut is very important. Infielders as well as coaches. The last thing you need is an over zealous SS screaming 2 when your catcher has already called the throw to one. Any hesitation on your throw will cost you.

Nov 29, 2009
Our catcher is calling the throw but our third baseman is calling the pickup. 3B is the one crashing the hardest and fastest. She is also who will be making the play well over 50% of the time. That is just how we do it. Right or wrong in your opinion does not matter as this has worked for us for a long time.
Yes keeping everyone's mouths shut is very important. Infielders as well as coaches. The last thing you need is an over zealous SS screaming 2 when your catcher has already called the throw to one. Any hesitation on your throw will cost you.

I teach my kids that 3B has precedence over every other infielder on the left side all the way to the middle and beyond if she feels she can make the play. She has the momentum and and the best angle to make the throw to first.

It sounds like you teach your kids the same bunt coverage as I do with mine. I have found this works best even at 10U because it's what's done at the older levels. My kids have no problems transitioning to the upper levels.

One of my biggest pet peeves is watching a coach teach kids things that may work at 10U, but not at the older levels. Things like having CF cover 2nd on a steal. Teach your SS how to hustle over and make the play. The same thing with a steal at 3rd. Teach the SS how get there and in position to take the throw. 2nd base in and 1st back on bunts doesn't work well at the older levels. It's VERY rare at the older levels to see a pitcher who is quick enough to get out of the circle after delivering a pitch and get to the lines fast enough to get a speedy slapper out.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sparky Guy, totally agree with you on teaching kids the "right" way to play instead of the expedient way to play at the younger ages. You do them no favors, even if you win a few more games or tournaments that way. 10U should be about learning the game, not just winning. Kids who learn early tend to do better long-term.

May 11, 2009
Spark I agree. I think we are on the same page. The only time I pull 2nd up is on slap coverage. That works well and transitions to HS very well. We are here to teach the game period. That starts the first day a child hits the field. There may be some variations but it is important to teach sound fundamentals at all ages. Teaching to get the out and worry about the runners later is hard at a young age when your fielders are screaming for the ball. That drives me crazy and it is hard to break but chasing the runners is typically the start of the "Big" inning. If we keep composed with good decisions and take the outs given to us we will survive typically.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
A lot will have to do with the situation.

What inning is it?
What's the score?
Who is up to bat (power hitter, slapper, etc..)?
What strengths/weaknesses do the girls have that are playing 3rd base, pitcher, 1st base?
How well can your pitcher hit her spots?

You'll see some college teams play their 1st basemen back most of the time (certain teams). It's not a given the play 1st and 3rd up. If it's a hard bunt, 1st base can charge it and tag runner - very soft bunt, catcher gets it, anything not on the line, pitcher takes it. Only the great bunt will work and that's not easy if you've got a good pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red