11u practice - Mandatory & how often?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2011
Hi all,

My DD's 11u A level team is only having 1 practice a week this spring and they are not mandatory. Last year our practices almost never had full participation. Last season Little League was in play for some, but no one is playing Little League this year. We seek out the better tournaments and expect to do quite well against 11u teams and not so well against true 12u teams.

This just seems like not enough practice and I believe it should be mandatory. What are you guys doing and seeing?

Thanks, Rob.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Two practices a week, minimum. And I would go 2 hours long. Yes, practice is mandatory unless you have a school activity.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Our 9-10 rec team practices a bit more than that. Being rec they are voluntary now that games have started but I generally have 8 or more of the 11 who show up.

Just a question .... what is "11U?" Does that mean you're a 12U team made up entirely of 11-year-olds? Where are there other 11U teams?

My team is a young 12U team but we are the only team I know of which is made up completely of 11-year-olds .... the other " '02 " teams in the area all have at least three or four 12 year olds. All the teams (including us) have to play at 12U all the time since we are too old to play at 10U.

EDIT: Adding that we practice twice a week during tournament weeks and three times a week during off weeks. They are "mandatory" in the sense that if a girl doesn't show up, she may not play during the next tournament.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
Just a question .... what is "11U?" Does that mean you're a 12U team made up entirely of 11-year-olds? Where are there other 11U teams? .

Yes, we are a team made up entirely of girls born in 2002. Our organization also has a team of only 2001s. There are a few organizations in our area that do the same. We only play in 12u tournaments and see some 02 only, some 01 only and mixed 01/02 teams. It will be a tough year, but we will win against those that we should and tough it out against the older teams.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When your home sitting on the couch/play station ect...there's a girl practicing to take your position in the lineup. Even though my DD's team may not be practicing we will practice on our own.

Sep 15, 2011
When your home sitting on the couch/play station ect...there's a girl practicing to take your position in the lineup. Even though my DD's team may not be practicing we will practice on our own.

The problem is that about a 1/3 of the girls barely practice. Of course my DD just finished watching and practicing a Jay Weaver throwing video from one of his camps, and that was after practicing her tip & rip scap pinch load, hands back turn the barrel sequencing with a whiffle ball bat here in the living room. Framing practice with a web glove and whiffle golf balls is next. She takes great pride in having good mechanics. Of course most of that is thanks to DFP.

May 17, 2012

While I agree in principal with what you are saying if a large portion of the team isn't practicing you are in trouble. Come tournament time you have to field a team so you can't sit everyone that doesn't come to practice.

The truth is they should find a team that shares the same commitment level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand