10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Since its quiet here, Ill hijack for a minute. Why is the one legged swing necessarily transverse? do you not see sagittal movement in the drill below? What parts are spinning, and around what axes?

16732xe.jpg

I will answer with this - why are we using an exercise without a ball to discuss planes of motion wrt a swing at a ball?

apples to apples.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am sure it can with a bounced ball or soft toss.

But, then we go down the whole "why swing with only one leg if you have two" debate.

I'm not going to go down the leg debate road.

Do you agree with drills that highlight or exaggerate a specific feeling for the sake of teaching?

May 3, 2014
I agree - this thread is about your daughter's journey.

To answer your question - it depends.

I'm not going to go down the leg debate road.

Do you agree with drills that highlight or exaggerate a specific feeling for the sake of teaching?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I will answer with this - why are we using an exercise without a ball to discuss planes of motion wrt a swing at a ball?

apples to apples.

Sorry Eric; this will be my last comment here on this sub-topic.

Butter - I don't think you can say there is any rotary movement of the hip here because there is no vertical axis for it. The barrel is also launched in the sagittal plane (pinwheel, if you will). So, where is the transverse? The only vertical axis is the spine; Right?

16732xe.jpg

Nov 21, 2012
New England
Just a general dad instructor advice...I am sure you see some of her swings as just lights out-snap-sudden. My advice is to always be watching for that as your #1 indicator. When I throw front toss or pitch, I can't really watch mechanics very well...my own dd scares the crap out of me. What I have trained myself to do is have a soft focus on how sudden it looks. Example was Monday night, after several pitches, and well hit balls, I had an over all feeling of her swing that it was being forced, muscled, possibly armish. So I watch closer and yes, her biggest problem she falls back on is getting the front foot down too early. She gets it down, shifts, and muscles the ball. So we just work about 15 minutes on "riding the coil", and swinging late, swinging sudden on command.
Maddie is doing great, and I can only see the gif not the video on my phone, but think about when working with her... "Is it 'short'?" "Is it sudden?" 'Sudden' is the holy grail IMO. If it's not sudden, then there are issues with the power source or slack between the source and barrel.

This is such a good post by RHC. I don't post on here very much anymore but this is exactly what I have working on with my DD lately. Being short and sudden and letting the swing plant the front foot. Goal number 1. Don't underestimate the value of this advice. Thanks RHC.

May 3, 2014
The IR of the rear leg is a not a rotary action?

Sorry Eric; this will be my last comment here on this sub-topic.

Butter - I don't think you can say there is any rotary movement of the hip here because there is no vertical axis for it. The barrel is also launched in the sagittal plane (pinwheel, if you will). So, where is the transverse? The only vertical axis is the spine; Right?

16732xe.jpg

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
rear hip IR's as pelvis/acetabulum turns back over weight bearing rear leg (closed chain acetabulofemoral IR/AFIR) then stays in IR via upper body pullbacks/hip as bottom of top as rear leg/femur turns forward. main change at rear hip joint (acetabulum/femur motion) at this point (while handle turns between hands/) is extension while remaining in IR (overlap).

pelvis turns forward, rear hip stays "closed" (in IR)

ER/"opening" of rear hip is bleed.

Is rear hip Extension "rotation" ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi